Server Wipe - Plant Apple Tree? - Or behave different then usual?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi all.

Forwarding a nice question in a article a read about behaviour analysis of humans confronted with a ending scenario.

So my questions to have fun to think about:

If you would be confronted with a upcoming Server Wipe ( theoretical) would this influence how you play the last week before the wipe.

Would you still decorate your House and play as like always?
    Would you stop playing quests or urge to finish this last Quest?
    Do you think players would behave more antisocial the more closer to a complete Server Wipe they are?
    Would you take pictures of your Character with his Gear and his Belongings and Achievements to remember?

Would you finally kill that player that you ignored all the time as a penalty does not matter anymore.

Would your Guild suddenly attack and behave different knowing that all does not matter anymore?

What would be the last you do or would try out on your favorite MMO before all is wiped and restarts from start.

Would a restart influence relationships formed before and after a wipe?

Take care

Myrcello

Moiseyev Trueden and Net like this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

I used to play a game that had regular wipes every 1-2 years. What happened was,

1) People would log off in the days before wipe. Why play, when any progress you'd make would disappear.
    2) Except, the day of wipe, where there'd be some chaos.
    3) Every wipe would hemorrhage players because people would get tired of losing progress... heavily active players would benefit (beause they were bored by stagnation), and casual players would leave, because it'd they weren't stagnant yet.

3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

1) Put my town on the Market.
    2) Sell off all my assets.
    3) Go play something else.

I purposely did not pick this game up until WELL after the final wipe. I work 40 hours a week, and still game pretty hard. Resetting my stats is not worth my time investment. Overwatch and Destiny2 seasonal stuff is one thing. Any MMO is a whole other...

4. Vero

Vero Avatar

^^^^^^ same as above

Except selling the town I don't have*

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If it was stated early on that the game was going to wipe every so often, I probably would not play as hard in the last week, but would play again after the wipe. If it was just all the sudden stated that the game was going to wipe, but was stated it was not going to before, then I would just quit the game altogether as I do not like to be lied to. I quit school because they lied to me about the ctbs tests saying it would not effect anything of my life, yet I was not allowed to go to the school I wanted to as my ctbs tests were too high, and I freaked right the hell out, told my principal off, and never came back.

6. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I would quit and never come back

jaspericus, Elwyn, K1000 and 5 others like this.
  7. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Creating chaos would be the end result IMO.

Think about it this way. What if all Bank accounts were wiped and we started all over again. How would that help the economy IRL? Or would it damage it horribly?

And crafting. How to build an economy when we're starting all over again?

A server wipe would be pointless and serve no purpose other than damage the game.

8. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I was once married to a man who never dealt with "what-ifs". It was maddening, but he had the hard and fast rule and he stuck to it. As I get older I see the wisdom in it, but when I was younger I thought he was just being a jerk...lol.

The way his rule applies to this thread is that the whole foundation is a "what-if". So if we are going to look at human behavior for "fun", this human will not address the what-if scenario posed here.

I will simply ponder the human behavior behind asking these what-if types of questions. Now that is truly a mystery.

9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Server wipe? Yes please, clear that bloated database and lets have a fresh hitch free clean start!

Chemical likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same with SotA before persistence, when they would wipe every 3 months.

Elwyn and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Having gone through just this thing at the end of alpha in various games, the main thing I see as the 'off switch' date approach is lack of interest. People log off and simply wait for the on switch. Sometimes there will be an end of the world party / purge night type thing, but these have tended to be smaller groups. The week before final wipe in Sota we spent planning who was going to do what craft when the server went live and where our houses were gonna go. Planning for the future - we'd stopped trying to advance our characters already (as there was no point).

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

If questing was fixed after the wipe, I could live with it. Otherwise, what's the point?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.