1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Servers are open (and peaking)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hezro

Hezro Avatar

Glad to see someone got in, I hope goals were accomplished. Been trying the entire time with "Unable to connect to the server. Please try again". (Royal Artisan)

2. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Have you updated the drivers for your network card? There were some other people (including Chris our tech director) who had same problem but when they updated their network card drivers it started working fine.

deryk and Fireangel like this.
  3. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Thanks DarkStarr, I've tried and keep getting a video_dxgkrnl error everytime I start installing the suggested replacement driver because they want me to spend $39.99 for their program to do it for me. I'm new to windows 8.0/8.1 can anyone recomend a free tool to point out what needs to be updated? I've clicked in device manager my networking and tried to update driver it gives me the message its up to date and its not I guess.

Well I managed to update the driver, kept getting the video_dxgkrnl error, but after the 3rd reboot when I got the pop up do I want to allow qualcom to make changes I selected no...let it fully boot up and Im in the game. I guess I need to update all the drivers manually. Would be nice to imagine that a new laptop would be up to date lol...Thanks!

4. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

I'm still getting network errors just trying to download the client.

5. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Update your drivers...I figured a new machine would come up to date...my last one thinking back 6.5 years ago Best Buy "Optimized" it for me...I think they might have done the initial updates for me. I also updated my nvidia driver too! So far no more blue screen of death lol.

6. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

Just in case you haven't done it and want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8:

1. Go to the Metro screen (Window 8's version of the start menu), type "update", then select "Check for Updates" (make sure to pick the result that's for Windows, as other checks for thing like Java will possibly show up too).
    2. Click "Check now", wait for the search to finish, then click "View Details" and select the updates you want to install.
    3. Step #2 will eventually require a restart, and then you should repeat the first two steps over and over again until "check now" yields no new updates.
    4. Once you've reached that point, go the Metro screen again and either type "Store" or click the tile for it.
    5. If you updated properly before, there should be a spot that says something like "upgrade to Windows 8.1".... click that and then follow prompts/etc. It takes a long time and is pretty big update, requiring restarts, etc.

*** I don't know if doing all of this is really "necessary" or will make a difference in performance/stability, but I do think you should at least do steps #1 and #2 to at least make sure the OS is updated (even if you decide to just keep it on "8"). It's supposed to update automatically, of course, but I noticed Windows 8 didn't seem to update at first (until I forced the initial updates). Things could have changed since the last time I had to deal with these kinds of issues, though.

P.S. If you miss the "start button" (like many users do), there are free and paid solutions out there from 3rd party vendors. One free one that seemed okay to me was "classic shell"... I have no experience with the "paid" options. FWIW, Windows "8.1" kind of gives you the start button back, but not really (though there are some nice tweaks in "8.1" that make it a bit more desktop friendly).

deryk likes this.
  7. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Thanks Kuno! I did upgrade to 8.1

Now when you said go to the metro screen, I guess that's the "start" screen. For typing in did you mean the search on the right side of the screen? I did get some more windows updates... had 3

The new OS is taking some getting used to but starting to learn how to get around it. I uninstalled nortons, have free avast from work...our IT guy heavily recommended it.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

LOL so what is up with the Vasoline Jar under the chair on the left? ROFLOL!

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Dargalin

Dargalin Avatar

That's so he can get back out of his chair without calling the fire department :)

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am still chuckling :)

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

ROFL...Good eye! Never would have noticed that...

Time Lord and Avorin Swiftslay like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.