Shard Fall

Discussion in 'The Library' started by languard, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. languard

languard Avatar

It has been a long time since I tried seriously writing. This is more of an experiemnt, and does take some liberties. The spell words I just made up, in my own head-cannon it means 'magic line pierce' and wouldn't be the ideal spell for the situation, but it was the one he had the reagents prepped for. The story takes place during the time of the shards falling from the moon's crash, hence the title Shard Fall.

------------------------------------------------
    The dust hung in the air, making his lungs burn, yet Don pushed on. He had to make it back before another one of those storms swept through the forest. He crested another ridge, and paused in relief for a moment, seeing the Lodan farm. He Checked to make sure all of his straps were in order, before pulling out a vial filled with a bright yellow liquid. He paused for a moment longer to get his breathing under control, then tilted the vial back and swallowed the contents with a grimace.

"I'm going to pay for this tomorrow" he muttered as the potion spread through his system,easing his tired muscles. The light wisp of smoke brought a small smile to his weathered face as he leaned against an asp tree. He had made it in time. That smile instantly disappeared when he saw shapes moving through the trees towards the main house. Many of them.

"May Valor and Honor grant me strength!" He exploded into motion, heedless of the branches that seemed to reach out to snag him. As he ran he worked his blade out of its sheath. The world melted away, leaving only details. Seven shapes, possibly once wolves. Glow and smoke from the mushroom patch, possibly a shard. Three enemies turning towards him, four continuing towards the house. Almost in contact. And the world exploded back into detail.

Don screamed out his battle cry as the first dire wolf lunged at him with a snarl. Painfully long fangs and impossibly long claws reached for him, the things eyes a study in misery and pain. He side stepped and turned, the blade arching down to cleave the head clean off. He continued with the turn, slamming his shoulder into the second leaping wolf. Claws raked at his mail shirt for a moment before the thing flew off to the side. The third clawed at him and found his flesh, raking gashes into his leg but he did not care. The other four had almost reached the farm door.

"For Lord British!" He screamed out, both in hopes to distract the creatures and to let his sister know he was here. Some of the dire wolves turned but the lead wolf was still running towards the door. Without thinking his left hand snapped to his bandolier and grabbed a pouch, then thrust his hand forward even as another dire wolf lept. He could feel the claws piercing past his mail as he shouted the spell.

"Mel Nor Kyn!" And then pain was everywhere. The wolf on him was thrown violently away, slamming into a tree with sickening crunch and splintering of wood. Lightning ripped out from his hand, gouging the ground in an explosion of dust, scattering the wolves away from the door.

He fell, rolling towards the door. Foolish, he thought as he rolled. By training and providence he kept his grip on his sword. He forced himself to his feet despite the pain of the failed spell. How could I have forgotten spells are unstable? He fell into the low stance, blade lowered and ready for sweeping attacks. His brown eyes glared out at the gathering beasts. He spoke, even though he knew the beasts would not understand the words. But he would make them understand the meaning behind them.

"I am a Knight of Virtue. By Love I swear, no harm shall come to my kin. In Courage I stand, no matter the odds I will not flee." He loosened his grip, relaxed his arms, ready for the snarling, drooling beasts as they drew their semicircle tighter.

"And in Truth I speak. The people of New Britania shall not fall to this madness." And as if that were a signal they were waiting for, the dire wolves started their assault once more.

2. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

*the points of her ears perk up at the cry For Lord British* captivating read, hopes to see more!

3. stile

stile Avatar

Well wrote. If your interested in having that recorded as a mp3 and put out as a podcast (http://www.thecaverns.net/Podcasts). Please drop myself or lord baldrith a note.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.