Shield change impressions?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Yipp, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

As a player that has rarely used a shield so far, but keeps thinking about using one is specific builds, I am look for 1st hand impressions of the change in shield for R54.

Anyone have thoughtful feedback?

Nog likes this.
  2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

I use a shield .I didn't notice any changes. My character is still much stronger using a 2 handed hammer than a hammer and shield against almost all enemy types. I use the hammer and shield purely for flavor when I don't need to be at my peak.

Nog likes this.
  3. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

I use shield for testudo while healing some fights. Don't have a good 2hand to try a couple other builds yet. (Tetsydo is surprisingly useful.)

Numa and Nog like this.
  4. Nog

Nog Avatar

I found developing the shield tree to be crucial for mid-levels (40-60s) for being able to reasonably survive the various situations with 3 or more archers (and mages) picking at me as a light armor melee build.

Since you are mostly forced to fight these types enemies one at a time while you are subject to multiple crossfires, the DPS vs. damage taken is unsustainable. Having some additional block + avoidance + deflective abilities running was the most straight forward way I found to not have to chug potions or die quickly.

Though as a 2-weapon build, I found the switch to anemic 1-handed damage to be hard to get used to (as well as sword+shield seems to drastically diminish my Coup de Grace output for reasons I'm not fully certain - that goes beyond just loss of crit numbers).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Talimar

Talimar Avatar

alot of weapon skills has a base value derivative off your weapon. So changing from a shortsword to a longsword will alter your coup base damage significantly; even though both are 1-hand. ( I still use shield, since I run bone armor... Need to level my defense passives up more.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.