Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I have read different debates on using alternative currencies to gold, i.e. copper, silver, POT coins, etc. But I think it boils down to one fundamental question. Should currency be weighted?

After much thought on the subject, I am big advocate that it should.

Here are some of the reasons I think it would be a very positive thing for gameplay.

1. Immersion - This one is simple, if you picked up a coin in real life, it would have a weight to it. You would not be able to carry massive amounts of coined currency around.
    2. Regional Economical Development - Each region would be forced to work amongst the towns and town owners within their region for the benefit of the whole area. Weighted currency would make it more difficult to move large quantities of funds across the map. In turn, forming altruistic alliances naturally.
    3. Meaningful PvP - In order to move quantities of gold across the map, a player or guild would have to be prepared to defend themselves. Throughout history, moving currency has been risky business. Not only do you have to defend your shipments but you also better pay the people defending it well.
    4. Trade - It would make the regional economies and the resources tied to them more viable. If it is difficult to move currency, it would be difficult for large guilds to move across regions and buy up all of the region specific resources to take back to their homeland. Weighted currency lends advantage to those already living in a region to disperse goods from their economy around the world.
    5. National Pride(A sense of a homeland) - Weighted currency would tie people more to their home town, then region, and then out to the world. I believe it would help player retention rates by having people slowly build up their financial resources and wealth. Moving locations would not be as easy as just picking up camp and moving. It would be an adventure to move somewhere else in the world.
    6. Foundation of a True Economy - With weighted currency as a foundation; towns, homes, resources, crafting locations, and all underlying economic factors would start to carry meaningful value depending on your actions in game and amongst your immediate community. Alliances and enemies would become critical to the success or failure of a local economy. Further enriching the gaming experience for everyone and naturally creating a metagame(def. The highest level of strategy in many complex games, metagame refers to any aspect of strategy that involves thinking about what your opponent is thinking you are thinking.)
    I’d love to get others' opinions on the subject, whether it is for or against. I think this is an important topic that should be thoroughly explored.

2. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Sorry messed up the poll question but cant edit it now. Obviously, it is "Should Coins Be Weighted?"

Miracle Dragon and Spoon like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes.
    7. Due to encumbrance there will be a market for high value objects for trade. (Gems & jewels traditionally). Such exchange from weighty small denominations to light high denominations should of course incur a small cut to the banks etc supplying such services. (Gold sink for the really wealthy. )
    8. Being of the old D&D school only a half of the fun was actually killing a dragon. Another half was how in h*** to get the loot back with you. Such things could lead to much more adventure. (See Tolkien for inspiration).
    9. What's the point of having a hundreds of thousands of coins if you can't fill chests to the brim with them. Or a hot tub for that matter. They should have weight and volume.

4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

1. I don't carry money around in RL, I use Debit
    2. It would frustrate me & make me want to quit
    3. SPO, move all you want
    4. So less profit, can't sell to players from other parts of Novia
    5. Shackles is not my idea of homeland
    6. Talk to wall street & get them to trade with real coin money. Real money is large quantities of numbers on one paper(doll)

... Also no thanks

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Have not voted due to not being able to make up my mind. Yes for all the reasons above but no due to storage weight limitation on low tier backers with no housing.

Badger, Isaiah, Sophi and 4 others like this.
  6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I don't need the level of realism in the game that giving coins weight would be.
    All of the justifications given here are focused on multiplayer game.
    Would not make the game more fun.

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

I don't think coins should have weight unless they implement the ability to place it into checks and allow for direct debit of player store purchases from the bank. I disagree that it promotes regional economies. To gain experience, players have to travel over distances (sometimes large) to reach appropriate monsters to fight. While I'm traveling, if I spot an item in a player store that I want, I don't want to have to pass it up or try to come back later and find it because I wasn't carrying 5,000 gold on me. If gold has weight, all the emphasis will be on the player stores in larger metropolises where a lot of people have houses to recall to and ready access to a bank.

Badger, Sophi, SirDaniel and 8 others like this.
  8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

themo lock has a point: i'm all for weight but it should be seperate from banking limits.

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Adding realistic weight to the game will RUIN it. Forget gold for a second, which is heavy enough. Try carrying any extra armor or extra weapons, in addition to whatever other gear you have. It would be impossible from a strength standpoint, AND impossible from a physical standpoint, i.e. your arms and legs aren't big enough to carry all this stuff if even it was light. I mean, potions? Liquid is heavy. I mean, FURNITURE? You can't carry all your stuff plus a BED. You can't carry a STONE WALL. Let's just not go there. Why give realistic weight to gold when we're not giving realistic weight to anything else?

Gold = commerce = critical to the game. Don't wreck mechanics and playability for a limited sense of immersion that is almost totally ignored in other game design aspects.

Yes I know armor has weight/encumbrance, but you try carrying two sets of plate in RL and let me know how it works for you in combat.

To transact meaningfully we'll need to be able to carry around at least a few thousand gold pieces. Carrying that would cripple any person, let alone one with armor on. Introduce too much realism in the game and you'll simultaneously wreck movement, commerce, combat and overall playability.

Begone with game-wrecking immersion.

Solution: If gold must have weight, at least have a minimum weightless allowance. I dunno, 2000 pieces. Then give us checks or the simple ability to buy at a random vendor by sucking gold out of our account.

10. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Absolutely gold should have weight, just as gold should be an item in your backpack or on a corpse. It is one of the small ways that risk vs reward is a factor as you go out and kill mobs. Do you take just a limited amount of gear with you on a hunt so you have more room for gold and items gained before having to head back to a bank? Or do you carry around loads of gear and items and make runs to the bank more often? These are some of the choices that should always come into play when traveling the world.

11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I don't carry a sword and skinning knife to work with me while I use my debit card in the drive thru getting my coffee. I don't relate the game to real life so these points don't resonate with me.

12. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

Coins should absolutely have weight. Banks should hold infinite gold and enable checks for safe trading. UO had it rite basically.

13. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

as gold-centric as this game is. NO WAY!

Womby and FrostII like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

10 having both high and low denominations give the possibility of better and meaningful loot tables. Imagine getting a chest with 2000silver 58gold, 2 sapphire rings, a golden goblet etc.
    All with makers mark where appropriate.

11 when going traveling one could easily wear high denomination jewelry. Ruby ring, emerald necklace, diamond tiara. So if in need of cash fast these should all have tangible and intrinsic value at banks and merchants.

12 this adds an incentive for player created a Treasure Maps.
    You kill that troll king, but can't bring all loot. Take a chest fill it with loot, bury it, make a map. Return some other day with the purple llama and dig it up.

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Coins don't need to have realistic weight. But yes, they should have weight to help support the regional economy.

16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

So you want the game to be realistic, but not like real life.

QUITE THE CONUNDRUM.:eek:

Roper Docholiday and FrostII like this.
  17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Id like it to be realistic for the setting of the game.

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Well, the setting of the game has gravity doesn't it? So how can we carry around all this stuff if it's properly weighted in the game? We can't.

19. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Id agree with checks if they were significantly taxed by the game. Say 15% or so. It would make for a great sink and offer players the alternative of providing the service cheaper.

20. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

If coins have weight, then everything else should too.
    So I don't see people dragging the throne of bone home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.