Should Coins Have Weight Associated With It?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blake Blackstone, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Should Coins

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

50.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!

"However, gold doesn't have that "omg amazing" property to it. In fact, it's a pretty boring reward (and is traditionally only used in towns) but it acts as a fallback "you at least have a chance to get gold" regardless of any other factor. You're in a raid and a helmet drops for someone else in your group, not a problem "at least there's gold". A sword drops, it's useless to you and you don't want to haul it back to town? "at least there's gold". No gold dropped? That's okay, maybe gold will drop on the next mob."

This is your opinion and does not dictate fact.

"Putting weight to gold means that you suddenly put a condition to it; it's only a reward so long as you not over-encumbered. It's constant reminder to the player that he's getting progressively more and more encumbered; preventing him from more rewards. The player will never think that "maybe gold will drop". It doesn't matter if you, personally, don't think that. Now, NO ONE will ever think that."

It should have a condition put on it. It is a real item in the game. Again, what makes it different than any other commodity. People argue that they don't want realism in a fantasy game, and I have no problem with that. What I do want is consistency. If one commodity weighs something another should. If one item is different then explain it. "your magical pouch is carried by fairies that make your purse have no encumbrance" or something like that. otherwise when you mine gold how is the ore heavy? Heck why does it not just blow in the breeze and fly around with the wind? Gold tornado watch out!

"Whenever you agree with design practices or not is unimportant (in fact, I'd be surprised if everyone agrees with everything that game designers do) so long as you realize that it's something that is always considered."Agreeing and disagreeing is important. This is a crowd funded game and we are here to offer our suggestions and thoughts. The game has changed its course many times on community input.

"You can also "simulate" weight encumbrance by simply establishing a limit to the amount of gold a player can carry. This is a much better (although far from perfect) solution that many game devs implement instead because, at least then, you alleviate the problem by having two separate pools for your rewards: gold and combat items. You're over-encumbered? Get the gold. You're max out in gold? Get the sword. You're maxed out in both during a dungeon expedition? The designer did something wrong."

The system you propose is wrong also, people will farm regardless. Some people can grind nonstop. Bots can bot 24/7. If one can continually grind without risking encumbrance they will do it. they will leave the other loot besides gold and just gather gold and exp. I want to try to prevent this. I am positive Chris has thought of this and he probably has a plan. When I hear that plan I will see if I like it or not. Until then we can sit here and comment the pro's and con's of gold weight.

2. Gix

Gix Avatar

That was an odd way to quote someone, btw.
    Not that I was proposing it, but merely showing other solutions that other designers have come up with.

While being noble causes, fighting Botting is like fighting Piracy; you're only hurting your actual customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.