Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Should equipped crafting tools be shown in the main inventory? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Apr 7, 2016.

?

Should equipped crafting tools be shown in the main inventory?

1. Yes they should show in the main inventory.

11.5%
  2. There should be an option to hide them from the inventory.

50.0%
  3. They should equip on the paper doll and not show in your inventory at all.

38.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

So currently crafting tools that are equipped can not be in bags and are always shown in the main inventory which creates unneeded clutter imo. Anyways I have proposed that they (possibly optionally) be hidden completely while equipped since they can't be in bags while equipped. I also made a quick mock up of a slightly easier way they could do tool equips so we don't have to go through the hassle of going to each crafting tree to (un)equip them (which isn't a huge hassle but some people might think it is). Basically, there would be an icon on the paper doll and tools would work exactly how normal armor and weapons and other equipment do where you just equip it and it leaves your inventory but still counts against your carrying limit.

[​IMG]

2. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I believe at this point in time. I would prefer they continue to work on that which is on the table. However, if this could be a thing in the future after they have what they currently have slabbed. Great. But that deadline is drawing ever closer. To clear off the current table is definitely a must for focus.

Future project? I would say yes. For July or release? I can't say yes. Unless that was already slated.

Jakdaw Foxlauden likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

They are greyed out not a big issue, but whatever works

4. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

it would solve the problem of it appearing in EVERY bag.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  5. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

They did actually solve that specific bug. Now equipped items can't be in bags at all.

As far as changing the function of this to be like my mockup I believe it wouldn't take a large amount of time to implement because similar functionality already exists for other items and it's mostly a bit of rearranging of the GUI.

GreyMouser2 likes this.
  6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

That's good, still, conceptually I don't think of equipped items as being in my inventory. It's also inconsistent with how we treat weapons and armor. For that reason, I still like your proposal.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  7. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Definitely would like to see this (or something similar) in the future. My wife and I are newb-ish when it comes to the crafting, and when the current interface was put in, we ran into several oddball issues in understanding how it works (e.g. - how to switch the default tools with unbroken/artisan tools). Anything to help simplify the process for new (or slow :oops: ) players is welcome in my book.

Hopefully it's a non-issue to slip in! Otherwise, I'll be happy to wait for a future Release. Kudos on this all the same!

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

they need to take up space and weight. but i think they should have the ability to be nested within a bag inside your inventory.

9. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I'm not against them taking up weight by any means I just think they should function the same way as any other equipable item. By that I mean they are on the paperdoll menu hidden from your inventory.

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

but the problem with that is thus:

equipped armor, for example are actively equipped. equipped weapons, are actively equipped. being held by and being worn by your avater. so they are not in your inventory, they are on your person.
    equipped tools, are not on the avatar. they are the default-to-be-chosen tool when they start the action, but are still actually and actively in the inventory of the avater.

ok, following that logic, it now makes perfect sense why they are not on your paperdoll and still in your inventory.

that in mind - i use the mod from nexusmods for skyrim that places your tools on your person with a backpack. having them there just makes the game a touch more believable.

- so with this game, if they were actually ON YOUR AVATAR, actively speaking, i'd be 100% behind you in that they should be removed from the inventory.

11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

The problem with your logic is that if it is because it's not ON your avatar, then it should be possible to keep them sorted in a SPECIFIC bag. ie I have a "tool bag" I keep my tools in. The problem I think most of us have with this is that we cannot keep our stuff organized. It's always a mess. That's not realistic, it's just a hassle.

GreyMouser2 and helm like this.
  12. helm

helm Avatar

Exactly.

I don't know if there's a nice way of putting it: I think the entire inventory management implementation is currently a mess. Hiding bag contents from the main inventory was certainly a good solid step forward. But making the equipped tools show in the inventory as greyed out items was a step back, making them unplaceable in bags another step back.

Making non-empty containers placeable as decorations (say, drop a bag on the house floor) or inside other containers (e.g. put a bag into a chest or a trunk) is an important - no, crucial step, yet to be taken. I really really hope that the upcoming wipe would finally address at least the container part.
    Some further random thoughts about it.

There seems to be some confusion in the present implementation about what the equipped tools are. Are they "equipped"? Or are they just something you carry around? Are they dangling in your belt when chasing monsters? I would prefer thinking of my tools as chosen tools, something indicated in the item properties. A kind of "preferred" flag, that you could set for all your tools, not only for "primary tools" (whatever that really means) but all tools. Have two smithing hammers in your inventory? Well, if either of them is your "preferred" hammer (and not totally broken), you're going to use that by default. But there should be no need for setting anything as preferred.

Or, suppose there is a guild house, equipped with quality tools. Some folks would prefer certain tools for certain jobs, others might prefer others. Do you want to use your best hammer when scrapping stuff? Want to keep a set of top quality scissors available for your guildmates? The "equipping" tools functionality only makes it all much harder, not easier. Carrying around tools only usable on a crafting table, for example forcing folks to carry a smithing hammer and smelting tongs around when killing mobs? Making it an extremely tedious procedure removing them from your person? Please.

Now I am sure there was a really good, just-no-other-way-around-it justification for the entire "equipped tools" business. There just has to be. Something so technically unmanageable that it just had to be done. Because it certainly wasn't for improving usability or convenience, reducing clutter, simplifying things, or improving immersion. All these gameplay elements suffered with the introduction of "equipped tools". But it had to be done. I'm sure of it. There has to be, or otherwise my head would explode.

Not a big fan of putting too much stuff on the paperdoll, it should be kept as nice and tidy as possible. I would much rather have the equipped tools shown in a separate management window, if any other way of getting them out of the main inventory fails (edit - by closer look at the pic, the OP kind of suggested that, and yes a single additional icon would not bring too much clutter).

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

to be clear, that isn't my logic - i'm attempting to use theirs as an explanation on why that placeholder system is implemented as such, and to help offer an easier way to resolve it when they make that next pass.

i do agree that its current state is quite sloppy.
    i do agree that those tools should have the ability to be nested in a container.

HOWEVER, if they are nested in a bag and selected as the default go-to tools...i'd contend that it should take a while to pull out those tools. cause you gotta find the things.
    further meaning, if you elect to not nest them, you start harvesting or crafting sooner, and don't have to rummage through your bags to find the right tool for the job.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Having the option to view or hide it in the inventory is useful. I really like to have the option to see all items. Highlights or some other indicator is all we need along with a switch to hide equipped items by default ... perhaps also a confirmation before accidentally selling an equipped item.

Since we are on this topic it might be nice to be able to tag a particular item (equipped or not equipped ) to also have a special confirmation before being sold.

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

this.

16. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

And Salvaged

17. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I apologise, I didn't mean to imply you were advocating it rather then merely stating it.

I disagree that it should be slower, there is a reasonable expectation that you can find things FASTER when they are properly organized, rather then in one big pile. That said I'm not looking for an advantage, just pointing out that a time penalty is downright silly; there should be no game-advantage for or against using containers to keep a well-organized inventory. Bear in mind, those of us using containers are already paying a penalty for the privilege of doing so in that we are carrying the weight of the container, too.

helm likes this.
  18. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

For me it's not that it's faster as much as it's pointlessly cluttering up my inventory with items I can't actually do anything with while they are equipped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.