Should Virtues Be Reset w/ R45

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Aug 18, 2017.

?

Should Players Have The Option To Reset Their Virtues in R45

1. Yes

58.5%
  2. No

41.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I was just curious if folks wanted the option to have their virtues reset with the reset of the main quest line next release. :D

Vyrin and Metalocalypze like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I voted yes, but wished there was an option for voting for a total wipe also!

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm torn. I do think there needs to be an option to reset Virtues, but it's far more than just the main quests. And there are still too many ways to lose them without recourse.

I'll say Yes, there needs to be a reset, and No, not in R45. Wait until "release", with the provision that you have to reset quest at the same time (so if you use it in R45, no virtue reset later).

4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

This^^

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If you want to change your virtue.. change your behavior. Your virtue is not dictated entirely by the main storyline so I don't quite see the justification.

tomcat_de, psteg, Budner and 2 others like this.
  6. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am still learning about virtue traps (what to avoid). Example: I play with auto attack on. In Vauban pass I harvest SCorpions. There are some horses nearby. When I deal a deathblow to the last SCorpion and activate stone arrow, I have a dead horse. I don't know if it affects my virtue, but it should. If it does, I have learned never to use a range attack around neutral targets. If it is a virtue hit, I doubt that not killing horses after the "incident" will get me back my loss. So learning the ropes is important. Forgiveness now or in the future can give me a fresh start. Forgiveness is a virtue too.

Numa and Hornpipe like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Devs have stated such that it would take more than the odd accident or two to adversely effect your virtue over time. How many poor little rabbits had to die because of auto targeting? :)

Budner likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I find it comical that players seem to think that bad behavior should be "cleared". If you have poor virtue there's a reason for it.

It's an interesting commentary on the world we live in. The whole point of virtue in this game is to keep track of your behavior, it's not something you're supposed to min/max.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I would agree if the game were released. However, in this prerelease state there are lots of ways to essentially get yourself in a hole that is extremely hard to dig out of.

It's easy to "steal", as things that look abandoned are still marked as "owned". Or even accidental drags while rearranging inventory can steal items in town. Easy things to fix when UI gets a pass.

Killing fauns lowers your virtue, but the damn things don't know how to run away, and their spells are far more detrimental than their satyr overseers' attacks. Fix their AI and fighting satyrs wont decimate your virtue.

Even the text input isn't immune to this. Truth requires you not to mistype your own name, which even I've failed at. Since they are adding auto-complete to some text, that might help these types of issues.

I want virtue to matter, but things are pretty whacked right now. So yes, I'd like an option to restart. I probably won't use it, personally, but I'm not as bad off as some.

Vaentorian, 3devious, Jens_T and 2 others like this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I voted NO because I would rather champion earning virtue back and as far as I can see, the game and some players believe that once bad, always bad or vice versa. Perhaps in my case the game should allow me to feed carrots to horses to attune for my accidental killing.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am not for clearing bad behavior, I am for clearing virtues unknowingly obtained before it was properly developed. Since it still not developed, release time maybe a better time.

3devious likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My truth virtue was negative. When /stats would output actual virtue scores, it was around -275. I did most of the quests in Blood River Outskirts and Solace Bridge Outskirts and now everything is positive.

13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The problem is that certain virtues are very easy to move in a negative direction, but very hard to move in a positive direction. And by that I mean Truth, which I had way negative just before they hid virtue from /stats. If virtues decayed toward zero when there was no otherwise change, that would be fine, but when you've been breaking barrels (or whatever caused it for me), just stopping won't cause it to go back.

I would much rather have decay (both for extremely negative and extremely positive virtue) and a clearer way to recover Truth.

Did you also do the main Truth quest? My Love score used to be way down too, but when I finished that story line, it went positive. So there must be a big adjustment from finishing them.

Killing satyrs likewise raises your Courage. Oddly, talking to an NPC in a sleep cycle (or maybe even just peeking to confirm!) seems to lower Courage, according to the Oracle's virtue talk.

fonsvitae likes this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Of course just stopping doesn't make it go back.. virtues aren't supposed to be gamed. That's the whole point. If you ruined your virtues by breaking barrels.. that's not accidentally lowering your virtue.. that's you doing something intentional that caused it to go down. If you want it to go back up you're supposed to work at it and you're not supposed to necessarily know how.

Hornpipe likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It was still negative when I finished the whole thing. The Oracle judged me pretty harshly. I did the outskirts after.

16. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

This is actually another good example where the game mechanics lack - nights on my system are often so bright that I don't realize how late it is without looking at the "clock ". If the npc then is still in the shop and not in private rooms it's unfair to (probably) get a virtue hit.
    Virtue is a nice concept but the GUI and game mechanics need to be sophisticated enough to make only deliberate actions count.

17. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I think the biggest problem of the virtue system is the lack of information. Fauns for instance. They are FKING annoying little **** heads and honestly a prime example of a priority target (healer/CC'er/PITA) will actually harm your virtue for killing them. If you hadn't done the main truth story (and you don't need to in order to encounter Fauns) then you'd never know you were slaughtering the "innocent" in this case.

As basically the alpha testers that we are in this early access it's even easier to dig a hole unknowingly and that IMO is the problem. The clowns going around stealing **** all over town obviously knew that wasn't a "just" action, but we've got far more examples of boundary cases than clear cut ones at this point.

3devious and fonsvitae like this.
  18. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Fauns are not innocent, they are framing the poor Saytars for crimes they haven't committed, it's all a conspiracy!

V/R Brickbat

3devious and Stundorn like this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I vote no.
    The Law doesn't admit ignorance.

So we have to figure out about it.
    Write a book share Informations ingame.

20. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

No,people made their choices and should have to live with the results of their actions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.