Shroud review on Forbes.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Tachys al`Fahn, Jun 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Vyrin likes this.
  2. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

it wont let me read the article unless i turn off my adblocker, any chance you could quote it here for us?

Derium and Waxillium like this.
  3. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

He obviously has no clue about the very basics of this game, so the entire review can be tossed out and dismissed. Right?

Lord Trady of Blix and Derium like this.
  4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

5. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

How do you figure? You can gather materials in single player mode. The choice of the word offline may not be entirely accurate, but the idea is the same.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  6. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Bringing from sp offline to online is.. 100% inaccurate isnt it?

7. sake888

sake888 Avatar

Well sure, I mean it merely misrepresents the truth, a small detail in today's world.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's from late March anyway, and the game has made quite a bit of progress since then.

9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

This review is much built around this rhetoric : "this game has many flaws BUT..."

That's an interesting approach and it's still objective. This article has the merit of mentioning positive things about the game and solutions for new players. At least we have someone who has not been discouraged. Well, not yet :

Now, I have giggled when the guy mentionned that the combat was based on a deep-skill system. Sorry, but I can't help with that. I just hope that he was not referring to the actual player skills. Personaly, I would rather have said a deep-grind system where unbalance is the way to go when you want to challenge higher level players. But that's just my opinion... I think :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    3devious and Xandra7 like this.
  10. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

11. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

Not a creditable article. He only logged into the game two times and wrote a review in sounding like he knows everything about SOTA. Just wasted 5 minutes of my time :)

12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I'm not going to defend the article, but dismissing someone's opinion after they log on 2 times is a little problematic. If people can't be hooked somehow in 1 log on, most are not going to continue. I think someone providing their experience after 1 or 2 log ons is essential to ensuring that the player-base will continue to grow. I think the larger issue is that hearing those kind of reviews can chafe a little, so for those who don't like them, just don't read them and then you won't waste 5 minutes again. But Port better for sure read them.

Xandra7, sardon777, Hornpipe and 3 others like this.
  13. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

This is important.

"You only played it once, you cant not like it & your opinion on the game is invalid." Well guess what, they're not playing it anymore and that's a problem. It doesn't matter how valid someone else thinks their opinion is when they're not playing anymore.

Xandra7, Hornpipe, MrBlight and 3 others like this.
  14. Adrian (Kung Fu Master)

Adrian (Kung Fu Master) Avatar

Opinions are junk when someone has no in depth of a subject. One must not criticize or praise something when they are still learning the aspect of the game.

I wouldn’t trust a mechanic when his credential shows two days of training.

Sol Stormlin, kaeshiva and 3devious like this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I agree completely that one thing a lot of negative reviews I've seen have in common is lack of understanding of basic game systems, and/or limited time investment in actually playing.

So in a way, many of their assumptions can be dismissed by people 'who know better' - sadly, the review audience is not people who know better, its potential incoming players who may be dissuaded by misinformation.

I have to agree with the above point that if someone is compelled to write a negative review without ever getting to the point where they see what the game's about, we need a better way to grab 'hold of people at the onset and to create rewarding gameplay that keeps people invested longer.

16. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

The millions and millions of other people playing other MMOs are "wrong" because they haven't spent enough time playing SotA, right? Sorry to say it but the opinion of someone who hasn't even played the game is valid.

Gregg247, Hornpipe and MrBlight like this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

This game is super deep
    So, when I first started playing this game (after persistence/release) I found many things frustraing, like the seeming difficulty of doing things like crafting, the ingredients required, what skills to do and not to do in combat, what things actually hurt you that you think will help, etc.

Now that I've been able to build up alot of possesions, can grow food and use it to create buffs after buying recipies etc, it's alot more fun. But normal players that start out may never see any fo that. In that way, this game is really geared to the long time player.

Barugon likes this.
  18. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

ya, refuse to read Forbes (they are always heavily advertising on LinkedIn)... no sorry I will not turn of my ad blocker. There's 1 million other dumb internet reviews (or articles) I can read for free.

19. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

March 2018 isn't old. The core of the game is the same. Also, I know pretty quick if I want to play a game, it doesn't take a ton of hours. If you are not hooked after a couple play sessions, something is wrong.

Hornpipe likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, it's before all of the random encounters work the way they do now, which is much better and more interesting, and it's before the equivalent of about 10 frames per second in most scenes for me, before the additional skull clipper storyline quests, before unicorns, before brewing, before tier adjustments, before a bunch of more interesting uncloned scenes, etc etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.