Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Shuttered Eye commentary

Discussion in 'Release 35 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Alexander, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Well, just went through this and I have a few comments/inquiries concerning this.

1. I found the two liches to be really easy. Is this now meant for lower level players?
    2. I was a bit disappointed to see that the locked container behind the statue of Anapa was removed, and the locked door at the top level in the 'treasure room' was removed. I was even more disappointed in the removal of the somewhat 'OK' loot that were in those chest. Just wonder if there was a reason behind doing this?

3. The contents of the chest don't match the note on the crate (screen shot below)
    [​IMG]

I think that is about it. I know that the story still has some work required, but am just curious about some of the above.

Edit: I seriously should have read the release notes more thoroughly. It answered most of my questions :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A couple of gold pieces were left behind. You know, like you leave coins behind the couch cushions.

And yes the removal of the Tower of the Shuttered Eye 5K Fun Run was intentional. It's now a space for newer players to adventure, not to farm over and over.

3. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I understand your reasoning. However, concerning the note, will this be removed? Seems that it doesn't really belong there anymore unless you were planning on adding some of those miscellaneous items back in :)

4. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Out of curiosity, why not bind it some other way to be once?

Shuttered eye was one of my favorite story-based scenes in the game, specifically because it had a quest that had no journal entries, required old school exploring and a willingness to notice on your own the clues and tricks and think them through.

I'd really rather not see one of the few pieces of actual unique story content vanish into the realm of journal quests only and only there as a nod to the past without any real reward.

A key that is consumed on use combined with a rotating set of quests such that when you enter a random note out of 6 is spawned that points to different key locations?
    A second key on the liche to require it to be killed?
    A chest that checks an invisible quest marker and if looted past the first time gives a "lock is jammed" message?
    Randomized chests where between 1-4 turn out to be mimics each time?
    Barrier gates on the stairwell that require killing each floor for the key up, that consumes the key?

There has to be a better option than nuking out one of the few (more easily found) quests that harken back to the old days and remind players that not everything worth doing is handed to you in a journal.

Moiseyev Trueden and Spoon like this.
  5. Lum the Mad

It does actually belong there. It is an in-game explanation to those who don't read patch notes why the former stockpile of goodies is no longer there.

Chatele likes this.
  6. Lum the Mad

All of this is true but in the mean time players were using the scene as a low level exploit (this happens in pretty much every scene with chests, no matter how well defended) and very few people were actually going through and playing the scene as intended (partially because of the issues with monsters swarming down from nearby floors).

Moiseyev Trueden, Chatele and GrayFog like this.
  7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I thought it was hilarious and wish I had run into that note on my own when I go and play the story (knowing the history of the area).

8. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Are the mobs still supposed to swarm? Running through there now and if you aggro the skeleton on the third floor, all the skeletons up the next floor (and maybe above that) come running down (there were at least 7 of them). A bit overwhelming for mid-range players probably.

Chatele likes this.
  9. Lum the Mad

No, they're not... we'll probably just move that one on the third floor since I think it's still aggroing the ones just above.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

The mobs on the outside seem to be harder than the ones in the tower.

On the way out of the tower, one of the ones I killed was a hardened skeleton, which was orange to me.

The lich on the top was too much for me and followed me all the way down.

Almost got killed on that one!

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. Lum the Mad

Yes, the mobs outside haven't been turned down yet, going to do that today.

Lich at the top being more difficult is intentional. :)

Did you see any other issues with mobs being aggroed from odd places/overwhelming numbers?

Moiseyev Trueden and Chatele like this.
  12. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

Great to see you here Lum. I miss your old Rantings site.

Spoon likes this.
  13. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

There was only a couple of places a few floors up where the enemies would gang up on you.

I would get my immolation, ring of fire and fireball going at the same time to take them out.

I think the Lich should only chase you halfway down the tower so you do not have to exit and start completely over.

14. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Thanks for moving the Lich up a couple of floors. I got the keystone and reported back to Lady Kashi and Lord Shiranto.

At least you can get some replay value later with the Lich up above. Also found a hardened mage behind the walls, which was a tough battle!

15. Lum the Mad

It's not moved, it's just if you do the quest version of the scene, Min replaces one of the liches.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.