Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Significant Performance Increase

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by DyNaMiX, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

I'm currently playing the game at a slightly lower resolution of 1680x1050 instead of 1920x1080 and at 60 Hz instead of 120 Hz. However I can't imagine this being a sole factor for the huge FPS increase I've noticed. The game itself has definitely improved. I'm sitting on a solid 60 FPS without any stutter in many areas of the game.

Just thought that might be worth reporting. :)

2. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Check out the release notes. :)

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I like it too... How do you check FPS ?

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm kind of assuming that since I don't see much of a performance increase myself, that I may be the host machine now. :)

Not to be a buzz kill about this, I'm glad other people are seeing better performance. But I'm actually seeing worse performance.

3/26/2015 6:56 PM
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz (8) System RAM: 32687
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 GPU RAM: 1985
    SotA.PreAlpha.Win.64.241.Date.03.26.15
    Area: Ardoris
    Loc: (43.4, 53.0, -158.2)

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We've been tracking stats and the numbers vary by zone. Ardoris went from a mean of 20 to 37. Other cities are also way higher. Dungeons are up a bit and adventure scenes are up about 25% in frame rate.

It looks like your machine should have no issues running 30+ all the time!

6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Odd that you are seeing decrease. We have not seen that internally and our logging data shows a general increase for users across the board.

I wonder if there is a driver/vidcard conflict with Unity 5? We know of (as does Unity) of issues with AMD cards for instance

7. StoneLeet

StoneLeet Avatar

I've notice an improvement to FPS this build over 15.. Keep up the good work.

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Im kind of with you on this. In general im seeing better performance in places like Ardoris but im seeing a lot more frequent lag spikes.

9. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

I'm just REALLY hoping it doesn't make my system Blue Screen like it has the last two releases..... Trying to get even the Grand Tour this last time was utterly frustrating!

LOL I'm hesitant to start it up......

EDIT: And yes I've been bad about posting it in the bug threads.....

10. Drocis the Devious

Yes, lag spikes is a good way to describe it.

It's generally choppy for me. My drivers are all up to date. It's not "bad" it's just noticeably worse than R15. The "lag spikes" were not present at all for me in that release.

I should probably try to track FPS and make some videos of this after work tomorrow evening.

11. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Yeah I've been noticing them too.

12. Drocis the Devious

Please post your system specs for the devs to see. You too, Envy.

13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I was so focused on unblocking the GPU that I didn't even look into spikes. Usually spikes are caused by heinous garbage collection or swapping. Might have had some new allocator show up that is thrashing the garbage collection. My honest (and optimistic!) guess is that it is just more noticeable now with the overall smoother experience. Could also be that more frames equals more allocs (something allocated per frame) and more garbage collection. I'll check it out first thing in the morning.

14. Drocis the Devious

No problem, Chris.

I made a very quick (you need the link to view this) video that shows what I'm talking about. It's in Ardoris, but I experienced this other places too. The spikes may have been there before in R15, I agree. But they're certainly more pronounced here in R16. I equate them to smaller spikes than I captured in Verdantis Shardfall. You can see 2 or 3 very clear freezes as I'm walking around. I hope this helps...

The thing to keep in mind is that sometimes it's better and sometimes it's worse. This is just showing a few spikes in action. It's not meant to say "See I have a few spikes every minute, isn't that horrible!" It's really just meant to give people an idea of what a spike looks like. Then you can imagine what happens when it's unexpected or a series of them - it's annoying, and perhaps most importantly it appears to be a relatively new occurrence.

Oh, and I tried to use an FPS counter but it's not working. I tried it on 3 corners of the screen that's what the green things are. The FPS was counting on the launcher fine, but when the game came up it just crapped out for some reason. I'm using Shadowplay from my Alienware tool set.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  15. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

That just normal gameplay for me. Those couple of seconds of pauses are busieness as usual

smack likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

I understand that for many people Ardoris might be far worse than that. I'm not suggesting I should be without lag. I'm saying that this is noticeably worse for me in R16 than it's been before.

It's "similar" to what I captured in Verdantis Shardfall, although obviously not as severe.

If we can find out what's causing this (and it's not just normal network traffic) then I think we should call it out and maybe Chris and team can investigate to see if there's something in the area that is making it freeze frame.

I mean, I'm not getting that in all scenes. So something is wrong in the scenes that I'm having that occur would be my guess. It's more than just Ardoris and Verdantis too.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Here's a speed test on my internet connection. It's pretty standard. I don't see a lot of ups and downs, it's just solid and fast. Now could it be that during those times something was going on? Sure, maybe my kids were all downloading dumb videos at the same time my wife was watching a movie online and squires were chewing on the cable line. But I think I would've noticed more problems than I did if that was happening.

[​IMG]

18. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I suspect that download/upload speed has little to do with it. I am achieving very good gameplay, with video settings maxed out, admittedly with the "lag spikes" in Ardoris that you describe, and kudos to Chris for jumping all over it.

But here iN faroff Oz, my download speed is about 5 Mbps, and upload is almost 1 Mbps. Not quite up to you guys!:p

19. Drocis the Devious

I think you get quite an advantage in PVP at the moment because of your speeds. (It's just a guess based on all the people I've played from over seas that teleport around my screen and it appears that I should be hitting them but my log file says I'm out of range 50 times). :)

20. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Posting my specs might help too:

Processor: Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40 ghz
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 1600C9 8 GB DDR3
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-z87X-UD3H
    Video Card: Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 670 2 GB (factory over-clocked)
    Audio Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Professional Edition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.