Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Significant Performance Increase

Discussion in 'Release 16 Feedback' started by DyNaMiX, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

This release has definitely increased FPS for me. But yeah, I've had lag spikes since the Chicken Room :)

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16365
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series GPU RAM: 4064

Chris likes this.
  2. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I haven't had any spikes or lag at all with the new release. Hopefully, they can find what's doing this to fix it for you guys :(

3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yah, that is ugly and way worse than we see internally.

Are people who are seeing spikes running off of SSD or rotation disks? Wonder if there is a connection there. I develop on an SSD but also keep a rotation disk in my computer purely for testing. I don't think I've seen anything that bad on my tests. I'm looking into this today so hopefully I can find some answers. If not, I might ping Drocis and Smack to see if you can run a few tests for me.

Themo Lock likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's a great question. I have both too and apparently I'm stupid and I'm running off my rotation disk and not my SSD. I'll which over and see if that helps improve "everything". :)

5. Drocis the Devious

Ok, I switched it over and ran around Ardoris again. I'm getting the same thing I was getting last night. I can try Verdanis Shardfall again later today. I'll let you know.

Just to be clear, I haven't seen the spikes as bad as Verdantis anywhere but Verdantis. I normally see what Ardoris type spikes. Also, the lag spikes seemed to clear up the longer I stayed in Verdanits (generally speaking) and they weren't as bad over time - suggesting that it was either the area I was in or the initial loading of the scene that created this problem.

6. Net

Net Avatar

I have lag spikes on SSD. Though I had these bad lag spikes only on QA for R16. Usually I lag only once or twice in a longer while. There might be some exceptions. I know some of these happens when people are entering leaving scenes. It does nto seem to be all though.

7. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

My system and the game run off of SSD disks.

Since we are spending some time with this, here are my specs.

Win 8 Pro, 64 bit
    Intel Core i5 CPU, 661@3.33GHz
    12GB RAM
    Directx 11
    NVDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Driver version 9.18.13.4788 (03-13-2015)

When I was exploring this issue last release because of the sever spikes I had, I noticed that GPU use would drop to 0 and the System thread would increase in the amount of CPU use. Setting shadows distance to none get rid of the hitching. In R15 I brought up that I was having 'spikes' that lasted longer than a couple of seconds, somethimes minutes long, when running higher shadow distances than that. I only had them in Owl's Head but not in player areas. Vendors Row wpuld almost always casue a problem for me. Usually the outdoor sceenes wouldn't be a problem, but a problem area was always problem. This time around I'm not having many issues, no minute long hitches, and only a few times have I run into hitch issues. (In R15 I would have these issues even if I set my shadow distance to Low, but it wouldn't be as bad as setting the shadow distance to maximum.)

8. Drocis the Devious

Check my previous statements...I was always running on an SSD, I got confused when I went back and switched it. So either way, I'm seeing all this on an SSD drive and a rotation drive. But I'm still very stupid. :)

I have my graphics settings on Fantastic, btw.

9. Veronica

Veronica Avatar

That looks exactly like what I'm experiencing as well, post r16. It's the same in all the populated towns for me, though Kingsport wasn't too bad (04:00 AM PST).

Approximately every 20 seconds of continuous running in any town, the screen freezes for 0.8-1.3 seconds (guesstimating). Otherwise it's just micro-jitters here and there, better than many Alpha's/Beta's I've been in. :)

Edit (cause I'm tired and goofy): I'm using an HD as opposed to a SSD on this PC.

10. smack

smack Avatar

I run the standalone client on an SSD and the steam client on a regular HDD and have seen lag spikes on both. I haven't played much in R16 on either client, but will try to do some troubleshooting this weekend. Unless Pillars of Eternity eats up all my time :)

Net likes this.
  11. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I'm on a Macbook Air so I was wondering it the significant performance improvement was like for Windows only. I mean Adoris and Owl's Head are a little better (in that they reach 10FPS unless I'm in an area with lots of NPCs/decorations) but nowhere where I'd like it to be.

I'm actually surprised it's worse for you.

12. Drocis the Devious

Worse in relative terms. See videos posted above.

It's just noticeable compared to recent releases. As soon as I got on the Q/A server I could feel the difference and I didn't know if that was because it was Q/A or the new build. When the OP said everything was great, that's when I knew I was experiencing something that probably wasn't being accurately portrayed in the OP and should be called out. (I had already posted and reported the Verdantis problems prior to that though)

13. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

Oddly, whilst this release has seen a phenomenal improvement in performance for me on my lower end budget system, it does now reveal that some of the lag was the same juddering effect as Drocis is experiencing, I'm running around smoothly but getting full screen lock ups too.

User Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Service Pack 1
    CPU: AMD Athlon64 Dual Core 5600+ @ 2.9ghz
    GPU: ATI 4670 HD 512mb GDR3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.