Since the Combat Survey is Over, Will We Be Able to View the Results?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jouten

Jouten Avatar

You shouldn't be taking your eyes off combat regardless. Our biggest gripe with the deck system is that we're fighting our HUD more than the enemy and by default that's horrible. We're playing an Ultima RPG successor, not Hearthstone with Avatars.

And that 60.9% of Neutral to Positive, how much of that was JUST Positive? Shouldn't be taking into account the Neutral numbers that probably don't care for combat.

foobarto, Nikko, smack and 18 others like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do appreciate all of this. If i might suggest one thing before you commit. Please do another survey and email it to backers and close it after at least 1 week. This will give you a broader sample than a 2 day poll not announced. Thank you.

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Very much this. Less is a great deal more when dealing with the HUD and immersion. Leave the number crunching in a separate log if necessary, but reducing the clutter would be greatly appreciated.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe the card combat should play out more like card combat and less like random hotbar combat.

By this I mean that on the one hand it should look different. It should look like cards. Also the drawn cards should stay on screen for as long as we don't use them or discard them - they don't vanish after some time. For every card used or discared a new card is drawn from the deck. We wouldn't have to constantly look at the hotbar to see when a skill vanishes and gets replaced by a random new one. We would see the cards drawn and can use them as we like, when we like. Just when one is used and a new one is drawn we have to look which one it is.

It could even look more interesting. Like this for example:

[​IMG]

In the middle we see the cards we currently have drawn nicely and graphically laid out and on the right side we have our card deck from which a new card is drawn when one of our selected cards is used or discarded.

smack, Snikorts, Arc and 5 others like this.
  5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Yes, combos will make things interesting, but worse at the same time. I still for getting rid of stacking in anticipation of better combos. Maybe my stacking question was answered in a telethon because I did not see it in the "unanswered" post and I have no time to go through 12 hours of video to find one answer.

But seriously. Lose stacking and the hotbar game gets easier. Now add fun combos. Yes, this adds to the hotbar game but at least it can be more fun, IMHO.

Snikorts and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  6. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

It's takes some getting used to. I'm not a fan of it however I can deal with it. Personally, I don't understand why the Avatar cannot cast a certain skill that has been learned regardless of whether it's on the deck or not. Other games I'm able to use any skill I've learned at any time.

We are the Avatar after all. Why not :D

7. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

As was explained by Richard Garriott and others (a long time ago), in real combat you may not always be in a position to use every move. You can't effectively deliver a roundhouse punch if your opponent in right in your face.

[edit] Design decision or after-the-fact justification. Take your pick.

8. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Exactly. This has always been my own rationale for it.
    I wouldn't say I LOVE the card system, but I do enjoy it. I like the options it provides with combos and stacking. It makes combat much more strategic for me without making the number of keys I have to press crazy.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  9. Jouten

Jouten Avatar

That's only talking about the moment of the fight. But since we're in the topic of using "real combat" as an excuse, let me explain

*cracks fingers*

In combat, at least in the historical context, between two individuals there are at least four points of context when fighting. The terminologies are in German so excuse me.

Vor - Who has the initiative of combat, who's controlling the flow and can manipulate their opponents. Usually the ones taking the initiative.

Nach - The opposite of Vor, the fighter stuck on the defensive but is aware of their situation.

Indes - The moment of striking; when the opponent changes guards, moves into your "measure", or when he's caught off tempo

Gleich - The moment when both fighters assume they have the Vor and initiates at the moment, Indes, and meet in the middle.

None of those things are an excuse of not having all your abilities ready for you on the person and ready. If it was going "realistic" then the game should have combo chains that lock out other moves depending on what the other opponent is reacting to.

When I'm facing another fencer, if he is in Vom Tag (A high guard) he has limited moves. I would instead be down in a low guard such as Veschel or Nebenhut to block off those sets of attacks with my other limited moves. We'd then dance between guards, trying to psych the other person out of measure or get them into a guard where when we strike, we block off their line of attack. Again, I have all my moves before the fight starts, but I use what I have depending on what the opponent is giving me (and not staring at my hands aka HUD). Simulating it with shifting cards that you have no control over isn't "real combat".

10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Really nice visually but I still like random bar cause we get stacking but if port can merge the 2 awesomeness !

11. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

I love the deck system here.. it's amazing compared to the spell bar I'm use to from EQ, with all locked slots.

It would be great if they allowed more skills to be placed into the non-combat bar though.

12. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

The question that was asked is "Should all abilities be available all the time." The answer was no. The justification was as stated.
    There is no practical amount of programming that will simulate a real person. There is no available manpower to match every skill against every other to determine opportunity.
    I totally agree that random choice is not like real combat, but it does satisfy the decision to not have everything available all the time...
    [edit] and is a step towards verisimilitude.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Stacking would be possible. If two stackable cards show up, they glow and you can stack them, unleashing the combo/bonus ;)

14. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Why do people like stacking? I am very serious. It adds to the mini-game in the hotbar.

Wouldn't you prefer combos that combine skills to greater power instead, and less focus if that is the aim of stacking? (Fix and improve combos I mean?)

15. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

Has auto-stacking and auto-combo-ing of glyphs been considered? That alone would go a long way toward keeping my attention focused on my opponent instead of my combat bar. There could be an option to keep manual stacking of glyphs for those who enjoy the current system.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Auto-comboing doesn't even make sense if you'll be able to make more than one combo with the same glyph.

17. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

and when they are NOT in my face. What about then :)

As I said before. Just because it's not in my deck doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to use that skill.

Ravicus Domdred and Jouten like this.
  18. Alana Baran

Alana Baran Avatar

Thank you Chris! I know i gave the deck system a solid "dont like it at all" in the poll, but I'll be more than fine if the locked decks become more competetive / closer to power to the unlocked ones (a lot closer!).
    Since someone asked, I'm melee, and yes, i often find myself not having enough fingers to manouver my character and stack / combo at the same time.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  19. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Wait.. what survey?

Snikorts and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

No Bite Nose attack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.