1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Single Player Offline: Unique Features

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Alexander, Pickley, smack and 4 others like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

Hmm, that thread is still locked and hasn't been cleaned up yet...

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

The thread has now been unlocked :)

5. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

I hope this is on topic. My largest concern about the SPO game is that the economy is apparently planned to be shared with the MMO economy. I think that's a bad mistake.

Using SPO players can macro farm insane quantities of just about anything. I've tried it. It works. Then just bring that into the MMO world. It's like a mini-dupe that's intended ...

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yeah SPO mode (currently testable) is still an online mode. The offline mode shouldn't be affected at all by the world economy in online modes. SP online mode will/should be affected by FPO and MPO farming of same resource nodes. I know a few places that are great for farming that other's seem to avoid (probably because there is no silver there).

7. smack

smack Avatar

Wait, I thought it was the other way around: nothing offline can be taken online, including the economy -- however, it will work from online to offline. They are considering "seeding" the offline economy with items created online during Beta or later, and may routinely update the offline world state (including its economy) should you go online (to get patches or download new monthly content, for example).

Miracle Dragon and Alexander like this.
  8. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

My comment was more referring to farm in offline mode to boost online or vice versus... There will be updates to offline based on online (if I remember correctly), but it is stagnant as opposed to the fluid updates that online will have (and can be avoided completely by not going online at all with game).

9. smack

smack Avatar

Right -- but nothing you do offline can ever be taken online. It is not a two-way sync. It only goes one way: online to offline, if at all. So perhaps I'm not understanding how you are "boosting online" by doing anything offline, as nothing you do offline affects the online world in any way?

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Correct. I think the person I was responding to is confusing offline for the SP online currently being tested. Which is what I was referring to.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I don't want the Killmasta527 sword by player Bunnyhopper111 in my offline game.

12. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

Why does it matter if it's "offline" or SPO? If you can farm mobs and nodes in SPO, with no competition or interference, and then bring it to the MMO, there's a big problem in my view.

13. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

My understanding was even in SPO what is done in friends and multiplayer modes still affects it. Nodes and mobs will still be affected by the other modes (mobs probably less so with the uber insane spawn rate of some of them).

smack likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

For offline mode it doesn't matter, as you can hack your game and do whatever you want and it doesn't affect anyone but you, as offline does not affect online.

But for Single Player Online (SPO) mode and resources, sure there are some concerns that have only been partially addressed. But that's a different discussion outside of the scope of this thread (offline features), so here are a few threads on SPO and resources:

Closed threads:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-to-compete-for-resources-in-spo-or-fpo.8007/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/resources-between-modes.21702/

This thread is still open:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...hering-in-spo-and-selctive-multiplayer.37159/

15. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

Ok. Thanks. Don't mean to derail this one and your answer was comprehensive and gives me the answer I was looking for (but unfortunately not any peace of mind).

Moiseyev Trueden and smack like this.
  16. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Agree 100%. What a mess.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  17. Iwantanewultimanotonline

Iwantanewultimanotonline Avatar

I really would like to see this in the game, too. In addition, what I'm most missing in SotA are daily routines/schedules for NPCs - to my mind that's a must-have-feature that makes the difference between a mediocre and a good Open-World-RPG. A blacksmith sleeping at night, eating in the morning, working during day and going to the pub in the evening etc. That would be really, really great!

18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

This has already been started - and you can currently witness this happening in Etceter right now.

19. Iwantanewultimanotonline

Iwantanewultimanotonline Avatar

Thank you very much - I did not know that before and I didn't expect it to be already in the game. Watched a lot of Let's Plays about the game and wasn't sure whether to buy it or not - yesterday I did! And with upcoming singleplayer mode and the daily schedules it seems to be the absolutely right decision! :)

20. Abraxas

Abraxas Avatar

Perhaps this was already covered, so forgive my ignorance.

How, if at all, will characters be able transition between offline and online modes? Are we dealing with essentially two separate games or will I be able to use an offline character in online mode? The companion interaction or lot ownership isn't transferable, but what is? I'm assuming there won't be the ability to level up and gear up in online mode and then take that character into offline. Am I wrong?

Also, about POTs and lots. Why can't they enter a sort of automated mode when offline. The POTs could be inhabited by the characters belonging to actual players but they will just be doing everyday things around the house....you know, walking back and forth, occasionally interacting with the stuff they own. I think that would solve the alternate reality effect of switching between offline and online. I'd love to to be able to spy through darkstarrs window and watch him play the lute to his mechanical dogs before I set off on some epic questing. Maybe I'd jump a fence and relax in someones hot tub after a rough battle. It could even give players an opportunity to set a few automated dialogues or actions. Could be fun.
    I guess the problems would be in limiting interaction with player owned merchants. Can't have online economy giving an edge in offline mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.