1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Single Player Offline: Unique Features

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I only wish Lord Darkmoon could participate, as he seem the most interested in the main forums.

2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Mistake from my side.
    Offline i assume will be NPC Housings on the LOTS

I thought about the living feeling of a town like Adoris in Single Player "Online"
    And asked myself why not give NPC access to these Player Houses.
    So not replace it, it is online mode- but let NPC live in them.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'd kinda like to see this as well but we're talking about a lot of generic NPCs who would only be there to take up space. Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing. Especially if they too had a schedule to follow. That's one thing I always liked about Elder Scrolls.. all NPCs in town had schedules and a place to sleep.

4. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Will PoTs be removed for the SP Offline as there really is no necessity for them to exist in this mode.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would expect to not see any player towns offline. Although I do remember the idea put out that optionally offline mode might occassionally download world updates from online. I am not fully aware of the intended benefits but I think it's an interesting idea.

6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

correct

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So, is there a plan for all the house lots so as to make the world seem somewhat alive?

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Will the offline game get map updates, and will the player owned towns show up in the offline mode?

9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Thanks for the post, Starr.

10. DarkStarr

We can support periodic updates to offline mode but it is not currently in our short list for Episode 1.

No player owned towns in offline mode

11. DarkStarr

We don't want to just fill them with generic NPCs so while we may have buildings preplaced (like Owl's Head starts with) we probably won't fill them with NPCs

12. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

That to me is a very acceptable trade off.

13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Thanks DarkStarr, very refreshing to hear something on this topic.

14. mike11

mike11 Avatar

My only question so far is that if there will be a different kind of currency for this mode? It would make sense to have a currency that was limited to these modes of play because of the way wealth would accumulate would undoubtedly of a different standard that gold made in the diverse economy of online mode.

15. smack

smack Avatar

I won't pursue this particular issue yet and will reserve judgement on how "alive" the towns are once all the planned NPCs are in place. I'm just wondering how Ardoris will look and feel in single player offline, when there are close to 200 player homes and relatively few NPC structures, let alone NPC homes currently.

Like, when I visit a glorious large city like Ardoris in offline mode, am I the only customer of those shops? Will I see other NPCs actually doing business between each other as part of their schedules? Because if all current NPCs are busy during the day tending to their shops, who are they serving except me? Again, without knowing the final number of NPCs in each town and what they're doing as part of their daily schedules, it's hard to comment on this.

16. smack

smack Avatar

Thanks for a great post! I too would like to see sleeping/camping and advancement of time but I'm fine with it being put on the wish list...for now. :)

Now my first batch of questions:
    1. How will Control Points function in single player offline? Will there be NPCs to assist taking down the MOBs and keep control for safe passage?
    2. How will Shardfalls function in single player offline? Will MOBs replace Players to function as the risk?
    3. How will the economy function if there are no other players to fuel it? Will the NPC vendors and MOBs simply be populated with random gear? Will there be a maker's mark on that random gear to show which NPC crafted it?
    4. Will there still be a regional economy in offline mode?
    5. Will the adventure zones be scaled or will those disappear?
    6. Will PvP quests still function and be replaced by NPCs hunting you down? For example: contraband quest.
    7. Can I kill any NPC in offline mode? If not, what kinds of NPCs cannot be killed?
    8. Will PvP arenas be absent or will they still function but be replaced by leveled NPCs you can duel/fight?
    9. Will we be able to drop items anywhere permanently or will there still be decay?
    10. Will we be able to take, move or place items in NPC buildings?
    11. Will the lot decoration limits be the same or will those be increased?
    12. Will the decoration rules be more flexible so we can create crazy structures again?
    13. Will collisions be enabled for NPCs, MOBs, animals, etc?
    14. Will the same limits on bank slots be in place? For example, it was said that we can only increase our bank slots up to a certain limit with in-game gold, and then we'd have to purchase more with real cash. How will that work for the offline game?
    15. Will dead MOBs still decay or will they stay in place, with whatever items they had on them that the player didn't loot?

17. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

I believe it was stated earlier that SP offline characters are not usable in any of the online modes. So they don't threaten 5 he economy.

18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Aye, this will make him happy when he has access to it i think.

19. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Thank you Darkstarr, this are really good news which makes me feeling very positive for SotA again.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

20. smack

smack Avatar

I looked at a few of his posts (and others) and actually put together my list of questions based on those and added a few of my own. While I don't expect all of them to be answered, since this thread was really to give feedback on the features posted in the OP, it would be great if the devs had time to at least speak to a few of them on their current thinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.