1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Single Player Offline: Unique Features

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Wishlist for Ep 1

2. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Will our offline avatar count against our avatar limit of 3 (could be fewer depending on the pledge level) characters? So does a 1 avatar account have to choose between online or offline?

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh! Oh! We knows!

Offline and Online are completely separate. Having an offline avatar won't affect how many you have online and visa versa.

4. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

Question : Will there be any encryption of the offline game or measures taken to prevent clever people from reverse engineering or gathering information for the potential development of a private server? (Yes I know SOTA is a free to play game but I can see a real benefit from unofficial servers being created to sell or give property to players cheaply)

5. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I have a question for you darkstar.

Whilst the stacking or placing of gold (as well as the transfer of gold between others) is unavailable in online mode, will this be possible in offline mode?

Gold coins strewn about here or there or exchanged between companions greatly enchances immersion.

Regards,

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Such measures don't really stop "clever people" from modifying game content. That said, as it pertains to private servers, the question of private servers came up during or shortly after the kickstarter. Richard's response was more or less that the might support private servers AFTER EP5... that is more or less after the full development of the game has run its course. So for now I doubt that is even on their long term radar, but not necessarily off the table.

7. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Speaking for someone who plays almost entirely Single Player, it is really exciting to know that plans are in progress for the Offline feature. In playing Single Player most of the time, I am fine with the number of NPCs that are around in all the towns, including Ardoris. I don't feel there is a need to have extra NPCs due to playing Offline vs Online Single Player. I do hope that there will be enough 're-spawning' that we will have ways to gather resources to continue playing Offline, but I am sure that is all being considered, so I won't fret over that.

Will need to see / hear more before I can give really good feedback, but the items you mentioned seem very exciting - especially the Companion feature. Keep us updated on further plans, but so far.....you are going in the right direction in my opinion.

8. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Here's a sweat juicy fish Gol... err... Bowen. Thank you for the nice answer. ;)

9. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood the reason I have asked this in the offline version of the game is essentially the offline version has the "server" running locally. Which could potentially make it easy for hackers/clever people to see what is happening behind the scenes even more so than the other version single player online/friends online ect. While I agree it won't stop people on the other hand we don't want to go about making it too easy for them either

10. Polaris Penguin

Polaris Penguin Avatar

This is a great list! Nothing further to add at this time.

11. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

very nice to hear this stuff =) . When I have more time again, I'll write some other stuff, I got in mind.

Only one thing for the start: Is there a chance for Single Player Online or even Friends Online, that we could get some companions, too (as long as not in PvP areas or Open PvP), so we could explore some of the more dangerous areas in Online play, too without having to look for other players (the Lich in the swamp was pretty hard in SPO, for example). I'm a rather introverted guy, but I love to play in coop with my brother and with people I know and like, but teaming up with random people is always a bit strange for me. It would be a great help, if I could fill up my group with AI companions, who don't have to be as elaborate or unique like the ones in Single Player, but could take specific roles in my party (tank, heal, damage, etc.). As a compensation, you could get less loot, etc. since you have to share with your companions.

Cheers,
    Andreas

12. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Many thanks to DarkStarr and the devs for releasing this information.

Considering pledge rewards include a vendor and a servant. Would NPCs be able to buy items off of your vendor in Offline mode (If we are allowed vendors in offline)?

and

Should players progress (to a limit) in the storyline of the game before they are allowed or required to place a home or lot? (offline)

That's all my questions lol. Thanks again!

13. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

As to respawn, my understanding is some areas will only spawn once due to storyline issues. But if it is more than that.... I would have some concerns.

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

no, those numbers are independent

15. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Or as another idea: An local lan offline mode for players, who want to play only with their buddies, but don't want to loose companions (also a great option for Modders ;) )

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That would be kind of cool....but andi, we need to adventure together some time.

17. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I have thought about this previously and it probably wouldn't be hard to implement.

18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Darkstar thank you for this thread, its great to see that the offline is getting serious attention as well :D

Edit to add: When you said that decay and rental will be a part of the offline game, I am assuming you mean that they will be based on in game time rather than real time the way the online game is? So if I play the game tommorow then don't play it again for 3 years the in game state will be the same as when I left it rather than like the online game having moved on and my house decayed

Wouldn't this require the modding abilities that chris said was to hard to implement sadly?

19. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I do appreciate all the responses. I love logging on and seeing a dev has posted something about the game even though offline mode is not my main draw to the game - if there are significant differences (expanded companion system being interesting to me since I tend to adventure solo) then I may find myself playing through it after awhile too :)

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

+1, very much looking forward to exploring new britannia with my companions!

Sir Cabirus and Montaigne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.