Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Skeletons and undead should not say... anything

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by mike11, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If we're talking about what the undead actually say and not that the undead actually speak...that's a conversation I think is ripe for debate. I'm not a huge fan of the snarky wit of skeletons that say things like "be careful, don't get hurt" or whatever (I can't remember the exact phrases). Honestly I thought those were just silly place holders for the early releases.

Again, I think it's fine if the undead talk, I have no problem with that at all. But if they're going to say something it should probably a little better than the kind of conversations you'd expect to get from a 20 something texting on his iphone.

I'd like to see more tie in's to the lore and darker/deeper conversations.

Lord Trady of Blix and mike11 like this.
  2. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I find it hard to bare that some of the suggestions (and even from developers themselves) are formed around such logic as "well it's fantasy so anything is possible!".. It must be something to do with properly understanding lore or proper english or writing skills.
    I find it hard to explain but if things like this are not done correctly the result will amount to what some consider cheesy or just in plain poor-taste.

redfish likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

@mike11,

Yea "its magic" is always a bad excuse, but I don't think that's what Lum was saying. Just that you're assuming when talking about the undead that they're operating supernaturally, in whatever form that may be.

I expressed my own concern with this on the last test. At that time, it wasn't clear that skeletons could speak, so it was strange to me that they could cast magic. It was just a safe assumption that they were mindless. If you think about fantasy lore, though, usually the stories in which skeletons can speak are ones where they're restless and can't find peace, and it isn't just a matter of their bodies being risen and animated. Skeletons on pirate ships, for instance, which are usually referred to as "ghost pirates" -- I guess meaning that they're actually not just skeletons -- that they're ghosts inhabiting their dead skeletal remains. These would differ from the purely animated skeleton in that they still have their spirit intact.

I still find the skeletal mages to be a bit weird, and fighter/archer/mage trios you find everywhere a bit gamey, but I guess we'll have to see how they build this up in later releases.

rild and mike11 like this.
  4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

If you'd a played by the rules, the Ghost Pirate rules, none of this would have happened!

[​IMG]

rild and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Nailed it.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

7. mike11

mike11 Avatar

How so? By avoiding the question with a generic response and declining to talk about it further?

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necromancy

generic questions get generic answers.

smack and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  9. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

The Skeleton Magic 8-ball says:

Don't count on it.

[​IMG]

The undead have spoken.

rild and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  10. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Magic 8 ball is way more like it!!!

11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

No, by pointing out that your complaint, as written, doesn't really make any sense. You approached it from a logic standpoint: no lungs = no speech. That is a ludicrous argument. No muscles, tendons and ligaments also equals = no movement (in fact the bones couldn't even stay together much less move).

Now, if you had said: "I don't think skeletons should talk, because: a) they are mindless animated automatons, or b) traditionally they don't speak, or c) I think talking skeletons are silly and create the wrong "vibe" for a serious fantasy game," then he could have been accused of avoiding your question.

As it is, he directly addressed your complaint with a counterargument which perfectly explains why speech is acceptable under the terms you stated.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I like the skeletons and I don't have a problem with them talking as this is a fantasy world. But I think some skeletons could be creepier. I would freak out if there were skeletons in the game that still had hair and some flesh on them...

13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I really think they were just trying to add some flavor to a pretty generic enemy.

But of course, it becomes a forum controversy :p

NRaas and mike11 like this.
  14. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

Ah. It appears that the OP has forgotten our old friend Skitle the Skeleton, hiding amongst the trees in Trinsic, Ultima IV.

Skitle: "I hail from dungeon deep. I have seen the purple stone used in the altars of truth & courage".

A most agreeable fellow, and obviously clued-up on Honour. You can find him at http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Skitle

Most speaking undead are of the powerful "Lich" variety, prone to megalomania and subject to extensive bragging. Most unsavoury and best sorted out with a swift morning star to the head before they can cast anything troublesome.

rild, Lord Trady of Blix and mike11 like this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Except in Sota, where the skeletons talk "..to dust.." and the Lich, our buddy with the unpronounceable name, doesn't :)

*edit* I guess he does talk, cause I've seen him talk in screenshots. Well, there's 2 liches I guess. the Ravensmoor one didn't talk when I fought it.

He should probably taunt you, because he's pretty tough in R7. At least by yourself.

16. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Let me be very specific then:

It is a key part of the story Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman have written for the game that undead are intelligent and can communicate with the living.

Further spoil the plot, I shall not.

Lord Baldrith, rild, smack and 3 others like this.
  17. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

He does actually have a full range of taunts, I'll have to check and see why they're not firing.

rild and NRaas like this.
  18. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

Well, Spiders shouldn't be growling either but they are aren't they? lol. I think a whole lot of the "battle audio" is going to change dramatically before release.

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm gonna miss that growl.

20. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Ok, i was wondering if it was a story thing or not.
    So far we have come up with using a magic 8 ball as inspiration, finding more ways to make undead talk creepier, make reference to players, restrict talk to higher undead and make the undead speach telepathic and paranoia based.
    I have not read the story so I dont know if any of this is possible, but please dont let them sound cartoony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.