Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Skeletons double life?

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Sire Lancelot, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

You kill a skeleton and it pops up with no damage, then you have to kill it again? Is this a bug?

Quenton likes this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Nope.
    Some of them just won't die. Footman for example. Thats working as intended.

smack likes this.
  3. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

You knock the life out of something , it falls over and comes alive again with full health? Did the fun police come up with that idea?

4. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

All undead may raise again from their deaths - that's by design. They have no life of their own, after all - they're not living, but rather being propped up by necromantic magic.

What modifies the chance of keeping them down after a kill:

- their relative difficulty level. For skellies: Skeleton < Large Skeleton < Skeleton Footman (or Mage/Archer) < Large Skeleton Footman < Hardened Skeleton < Elite Skeleton. The higher in this list, the more times you need to kill them, usually. Personally, I've seen raising up to three times.

- killing them with magic. If the last blow is dealt with a magic spell, the chance for them to rise once more from the grave is diminished.

Also, they recently started to be immune to skills that affect the living, like Rend (a skeleton can't bleed, so an attack that makes the target bleed is useless on them).

5. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

Thank you, that makes sense...

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  6. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

the banish undead skill from the life tree is supposed to have a 100% chance to prevent them from rising again as well

smack, Numa and Katrina Bekers like this.
  7. Noric

Noric Avatar

Had not realized the skill had that purpose...

8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Can anyone confirm that this is working? I gave up fighting the undead 2 releases ago because high level undead would stand up 3 or 4 times even when banished.

9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I can mostly confirm it doesn't. I've had high end skellies pop up again after dying to my banish undead. Playing a pure mage (no weapon) and skellies like to pop up almost as frequently as they did when I was using my sword. Knowing that banish is supposed to perma kill them now I'll have to create a bug report the next time it happens (haven't played R24 yet so it is all based on my R23 experience... it may have changed).

Kvow Triumvir and Numa like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If it isnt doing that make a bug report for it. Last i heard it was supposed to and was working that way, btu i dont use the skill myself.
    I have noticed magic damage doesnt seem to affec thier res chance for me, but it's easy to chalk it up to being unlucky

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, this is a feature that I think is definitely not adding to the fun, just the frustration.

Artair Geal likes this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I doubt many do, can you name any game where an enemy can stand back up 4 times forcing you to redo the fight over and over? This mechanic isn't too hard to implement, but I can't think of a single game I've played that worked like this. Let's run it down:
    • You have games where enemies can be knocked down but never killed
    • You have games where enemies stand up with new powers (even 2 or more times for boss monsters)
    • You have games where enemies will continue to stand up until to use some ability to kill them permanently
    My best guess is that the devs don't want people fighting undead.

13. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

You're just not supposed to take to fighting the undead lightly. One should be prepared for the possibility of a longer fight than expected.

14. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

There's rarely a good reason to. The XP/hr they provide is miserable due to their rezzing, their equipment isn't valuable, I guess if you like control point... I've run past them for the last two releases.

Elwyn likes this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I have to admit I found it annoying too. I can sort of understand the reasoning behind it but I would prefer it if they took say... the dark souls approach where they only revived in the presence of necromancers or an equivalent enemy or thing. And eliminating that thing prevented their revival.

Right now it is simply a case of "oh I have to fight this enemy multiple times". Essentially you're just extending the fight but not really adding much strategy to it. So it isn't all that fun.

16. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

While I understand the mechanics of this I too think it just makes the experience less fun. As it stands it feels like you're being punished unfairly by RNG when your foe comes back alive. I do believe undead typically have lower HP than other monsters of the same level, but I still don't feel like the player should feel punished by something out of their control.

One thing that I personally feel would help eliminate this feeling would be to actually grant the player EXP for their victory, rather than negate it because the Skeleton is going to rise again. As it stands if they are going to rise you don't get any reward for beating them the first time. This almost feels like losing EXP for winning, but you lost the RNG roll so you're punished for it, even though it's not in your control. By allowing the player to receive EXP on their victory, but no loot until it's truly dead, I feel that will balance the reward and instead of feeling dread when it rises again you actually end up getting more exp out of the battle and it feels like it was worth it. I think this would help smooth out the experience personally, anyone else have a suggestion?

Lord Baldrith and Katrina Bekers like this.
  17. Coolwaters

Coolwaters Avatar

I don't think anyone (everyone) is complaining about the mechanic really. They're complaining that there is no commiserate reward to the required time investment, which doesn't really make sense and creates a situation where many players avoid the content as often as possible. That ain't good fellas.

18. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I personally would like to be able to loot the skeletons before it comes back to life. Maybe allow me to take like one item or two? If I loot the "sword" the skeleton is disarmed. If I loot any armor they might have, they lose defenses making it easier to kill them when they come back to life.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well think about it this way. Would you rather skeletons have double health? Or would you rather they have a double life, with a breather in between, so you can get your bearings back; use heal, put up your defenses, or even run away.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to XP after every death. But I think most of the dislike of this is just perception, because we might as well be having skeletons with twice as much HP, but which only die once.

20. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Double or triple the health would be far better in my opinion. As combat in SOTA is currently structured, a break isn't much help. You are either not taking much damage or you are outclassed, parties can have tanks and glass cannons, but solos rarely have this option since you are typically well versed in fighting hundreds of clones of whatever monster you are grinding that day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.