Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

skill decay affecting 'maintained' skills

Discussion in 'Release 26 Bug Forum' started by Ancev, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

My guildmate had her Discharge skill set to Maintain at lvl 50. She has about 1.3 million xp in her adventurer pool and somehow the skill deranked to lvl 49. She was still actively using the skill her deck. She said her character died a few times.

Leostemplar and Kara Brae like this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

How the skill maintenance system was previously designed is not to maintain skills at whichever level you set maintenance at, but to protect against any of them going below level 10 which is the minimum viable level for all subsequent skills in the tree to be used. Based on your description, it is working as designed.

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Um.... I don't think this is right. Either you are wrong, or the game Instructions are wrong. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub#h.ofuj87uzzvj

According to the instructions,
    • maintaining a skill eats up exp to combat any skill decay.
    • There is no decay below level 20

4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I understood the instructions and descriptions of "Maintaining" a skill to be that it uses whatever xp from your pool necessary to keep it at the current level you set it at... thereby eliminating any decay on that skill so that it never drops.

If that's not how it's supposed to work, then it's not very useful. The whole reason people had requested a feature like this was so that they could avoid ever seeing their skills downgrade.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If that is true then it is not "Maintaining" By the meaning of the word, especially since the skill was still being used just no ned to go above 50 it should NEVER lower.

As long as a skill is set to maintain and still being used it should NEVER decay, if this is happening and is by design a serious look needs to be taken at it, very BAD design and will cause a lot to just leave as it is counterproductive.

6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I expect this to be addressed quickly. The point of maintain is to maintain. Decay is not supposed to decay lower than 20, regardless of what you set it to. Unlearning is yet another method to drop a skill below 20.

@DarkStarr or @Chris please confirm.

Kara Brae likes this.
  7. Attenwood

@Ancev @Daxxe Diggler @Solstar @Kara Brae @Weins201

This is my mistake! Turns out I am indeed very much mistaken in this system with some old-fashioned ideas pre-R26 when maintain didn't have much value at all! I think some wires got crossed as I was remembering a related conversation from awhile back. Looks like the change for R26 was to actually make Maintain work the way you're describing.

Pooled experience points will be used to maintain the skill at whatever point you have it set at. Are we reliably seeing skills set to maintain losing levels?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Alley Oop and Kara Brae like this.
  8. Attenwood

Also to clarify, if at a point where a decay is set to trigger for a skill set to maintain, if there's not enough pooled experience to maintain it, it will in fact drop.

9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I haven't experienced the phenomenon myself, but according to the information in the OP, there was plenty of adv exp (over a million) and the skill dropped a level anyway.

agra and Leostemplar like this.
  10. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Some are experiencing a drop WITHOUT it first eating the pooled EXP. I have now heard this same case 3 times so far and told people to go bug report it. Something's wrong here.

agra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.