Skill Gains ever?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Kardall, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kardall

Kardall Avatar

Did they remove the skill based in favor of the level system and decks?

From what I am reading and seeing, there are talent trees and what looks like an XP bar.

One of the great things about the original UO was the skill based system. It allowed you to do anything. This game does the same with a talent tree, however, can you just go out and hit things with your sword or mace to increase proficiency with those weapons?

If not, any plans to do something like this in the future? Skill caps were awesome back in the day, where it let you play however you wanted, and just had to manage resources/lock skills when they hit what you wanted.

2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

No skill gains, or skill caps, or active use skill increases have been in use here. No plans to include them. We get XP bars, levels, and skill points for the skill tree.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

???

You Gaine Exp and each level oyu get a cetain number of points you can spread out as you see fit.

ALOT have asked something more aligned with trainin the skill you use , but ATM they are interchangeable.

Finding the actual trainnier may get more difficult but still level get pints put where you want :-(

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. Kardall

Kardall Avatar

Well, we will see I guess when it's released.

I was a big fan of EVE's skill system, but not the learning curve they had. After two years, I can't really do anything there.

So hopefully this system is a bridge between the two worlds. Don't want another GuildWars system ;/

5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I don't know what to think of the current system. It doesn't seem to be using the foundation we would like for the direction we want to go (skill-based). They say that it's a 'classless' system, but with the trees, it feels like you have to choose one and master it to be competitive. That sounds like a class system to me. I know this is still Pre-Alpha and I guess we just have to wait and see; but I'll admit, based on the foundation the system has built, the direction feels wrong.

6. Borg

Borg Avatar

Skill trees and Classless obviously don't fit very well in the same sentence.
    I sincerely got shocked when I noticed they were going for a level system.
    I still remember asking in forums on very first releases about the level number on paperdoll and someone said it
    was there just for development purposes and it would be removed later on, what finally was proven to be false.
    Then the skill points bar appeared on bottom screen and then I was asking my self , what game am I playing WoW or SotA?
    Now you gain points to distribute on a skill tree system like AoC, a very non immersive skill system.
    There is a poll about forum users preferences and if I'm not wrong it is 80% prefer skill system to 20% a level system.
    I think this is a great game but again I have to say I'm very disappointed with skill and combat systems.

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

Obviously the system isn't complete yet, but I don't mind it. In UO when you decided you wanted a different skill set, you lost all the progress you had made in the previous skill (skill cap) which essentially meant time wasted. This lead to a lot of people choosing the most popular build (*cough-cough* tamer-mage) out of the gate so that they wouldn't be "wasting their time" trying out different skills. In the current version of this game, you can try out different builds with very little penalty. I don't think it can stay that way (go from max swordsman to max death magic with the click of a button does break up the realism), but in the alpha phase it gives players a good chance to try out different combinations, which at this stage, is one of the main thing players are getting out of the game itself.

8. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I think the main element they are trying to remove from skill based leveling is the repetitive action that always accompanies it (i.e. sitting in a corner casting a spell or beating on a dummy overnight to raise a skill, pen cap and/or roll of coins optional.) :confused:

One of the things still missing from the "training/skills" system is that all trainers will not train everything. So although you have skill points, you may not have found the correct trainer to apply those points.

Secondly, training is currently instantaneous. Chris has mentioned in the past that will not be the case.

So, you will go out and adventure and "earn" your new crafting or adventure experience with the skills you have (kind of a pay it forward method of sorts). Then, you will have to find an appropriate trainer, which gets harder and less abundant as you go up in the skill tiers. Some, like tier 4 trainers will even require something in return for training - and there may be only ONE trainer of this type in the world. Then... you STILL have the time involved for that skill you bought to "train up" (which we know very little about), except that it will take time to learn.

So also, choosing to "repec" is going to be a process of finding the correct trainers, performing deeds/quests if needed, and waiting the appropriate time for the new training to take hold.

I guess think of it as "Banking" up new "life experience" that you want to use towards training using the skills you already know. Then once you have enough built up, you can go spend that on training, eliminating the need to macro a skill. That's how I look at it anyway - I could be totally misunderstanding the process.

9. Borg

Borg Avatar

I understand they want to avoid people sitting in a corner repeating same task over and over to level up.
    But then why are spawn points designed as GRINDING SPOTS.
    If you want to make people leveling up in a more immersive way why don't you create a game where finding
    and hunting a wolf is really CHALLENGING, taking real time to find, fight and kill it?.
    If you create a game where a a pack of wolves respawn every 60 seconds and you can kill each wolf with 5 hits then
    I don't see the point creating a level system trying to avoid macroing, it is non sense tbh.

10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I agree with you. I'd love the experience of hunting a wolf pack to feel different. I'd also like most wolves to leave humans alone, unless you run off the beaten path and head straight for one of their 'dens'.. Wolves are territorial and protective by nature, buy most animals are also afraid of fire, and holding a torch, possibly actively waving it around, should help to keep even most 'aggressive' animals away from arm's reach.

Most of this is 'AI' but in the end, I'd rather see fewer varieties, nicely fleshed out and different from each other, than masses of different looking 'mobs' that all act the same and are boring to boot.

I want a game where everything doesn't just attack everything else on sight. And that includes the players, so basic gameplay should be designed to encourage alternative actions.

I'm not sure how this can be tied together with a better skill system, but I do think this would take us away from the feeling of 'grinding'.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh I so agree with you Miracle dragon. I was talking about that kind of thing on another thread, well probably derailing the thread a bit,;) but you know how it is when something comes to mind. Make our avatars use their mind and please don't just have creatures uninterestingly stand around like they are currently doing. I truly expect more than that from this game. For example if you came upon a hungry wolf who was devouring his most recent kill, he might be very protective of that, and try to warn you off, but he would not want to abandon his kill for fear of losing it. So he'd just act very viscious to scare you off. Then you decide to kill him or not or you might chose to just walk away. :)

12. Wizardess

Wizardess Avatar

I would also like to add that "zombie mobs" and "kos mobs" should be a thing of the past.

Its 2015 andwe are still killing the same enemy, only reskinned.

Instrad there needs to be a way to make the monsters act like monsters would. Raiding towns killing trafelers on the road via ambush etc.

To an extent the kobolds do this. So do the wovles.

But in battle they just act like the same monsters we have all killed in every game.

When thrir health gets low, they should run away. Why are they all kamikaze fighters?

Perhaps they ciuld csll for reunforcement instead of the ithers watching their brethren get slaughtered nigh 7 meters away.

I have seen all this in various games but never have I seen it all in one.

In AC the enemies ran away and made you chase (or shoot them in the back).

In GW2 the enmies help each othrr and raid strongholds and towns.

I have yet to make a suggestion that could bot literally be cut and pasted from other games and implemented here.

This game (and to be honest moreso its community) has the potential to be a great thing. I think that close mindedness and the almighty dollar may subvert that.

I hope Im wrong. And yes I too have put plenty of money where my mouth is. I loke this game and I like you guys.

I think we can have a real wunner in 7 months. Not a WoW killer (the worst thing ever) but a really solid persistent online world where everyone has a place and their individuality matters. I dont want mage melee and archer archetypes. I want everyone to be weird and quirky like they are in real life.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes you have great Ideas salrdc. I'm glad you joined us. Yes I believe that is the plan with the hexes so we can have an easier time having town invasions and such just being dropped in them. I loved what Lum said on another thread about questing and how we are seeing just what we are seeing because of the development stage we are in. He said npcs can't follow us right now so there are certain limits questing can have as an example of questing being limited to the stage of development. This also shows up in so much more of the game. So no worries. I feel like we are just reminding them in case they forgot. So I hope our development team can generously remember that we care, and that is why we bring up things and that it is not anything against the appreciation we all have for their hard work.;)

edited.....................****

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.