Skill tree combos for mages

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Nevyn Waldail, Nov 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Hi,
    I am trying to choose what magic trees to use as a pure mage. My current thinking is two decks
    1. Sun, earth, life, water
    2. Moon, air, death, fire

However I am thinking you could pretty much choose your one and add either the 3 schools to the left or right. I reckon you need that many schools to build a deck at lower levels that's also fun. What's everyone's thoughts on good pairings?

2. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Well, you can realistically pair any schools you want together, except for maybe life and death, but the schools that have a lot of additional fizzle are like that for a reason, they are not supposed to pair with heavy armor very well becuase they are more powerful/have more utility. I would try them all since you kind of want to get them all up for resistance sake anyway, and you can decide for yourself what spells you like to use. You can/will be using many spells from different trees at higher level as a pure mage anyway.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As long as you don't use Tap Soul, there's no problem using these together.

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Or Death shield, or any of the two specs!

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The spec only downs the resistance of the opposing school now, so there is not problem being both. The lich ring WILL kill your life attunement.

Tila Tenderfoot likes this.
  6. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Hey Nevyn!

I'm not much more than a journeyman sorcerer, but organizing your decks according to the situation seems appropriate.

For (crude) example,
    Solo: death for healing, fire for damage, air for CC.
    Party support: moon and fire for slaugher acceleration, healing for survivability.
    Boss (support): healing heavy with buffs and debuffs.
    Boss (solo): :eek::eek::eek:

Or at least that's how I organize my knight decks. :oops:

Vaiden Luro and Nevyn Waldail like this.
  7. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

The fun of being a pure Mage is being creative. There are many many interesting decks, and you can evolve them all sorts of ways. The mistake I made was not valuing armor skills and defensive skills - crucial for a pure Mage.

Mac2, Dhanas and Nevyn Waldail like this.
  8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

They're all great for different types of players. I would train them all and figure out which ones work best for you. The biggest factor here is your playstyles and what combat situations you put yourself in most often.

But keep in mind with a pure mage build you will be limited to which content you will be able to kill solo at higher levels. Some bosses are extremely hard or even impossible to kill with magic even at the highest levels. I highly recommend training at least 1 melee or the ranged tree as well, if this is your only character and you want to solo that type of stuff.

Vaiden Luro, Jason_M and Mac2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.