Sky Palace progress

Discussion in 'Screenshot & Video Galleries' started by Tirrag, Aug 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Over a few years I have made several attempts to build a vision I call Sky Palace. Rejuvenated by @Lilith Ayin and her post about her keep I decided to give it another go. Located in Maiden's Blush at SkyFarm, it's still very much a work in progress but I am feeling pretty good this time around so thought I would share some screenshots :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Hazard, Beaumaris, StarLord and 12 others like this.
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

That looks really cool, Tirrag :) I like the little garden underneath - nice touch ;)

Wilfred and Time Lord like this.
  3. Isabel Ayin

Isabel Ayin Avatar

I have visited your house. I thought I had done something cool by raising my roof. And now I feel sorry for myself :(

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

thank you @Elgarion. its much better even now :) i built it out a lot more last night. as i try to deco i'm starting to run into more things again that i ran in to during previous attempts which ultimately will prevent this from truly coming to fruition. maybe some things you can help with:

1) i cant place chandeliers on the underside of the block ceilings

2) i cant place rugs on the block floors

3) would love to have some kind of craftable ladder or viable stairs. i have creative and fun ways to go from level to level but just having a good spiral stairway would be amazing. a spiral stairway could be really neat in that you could build a stairway that is 4x4x4 and you could stack multiples on top of each other to go higher if needed.

4) deco lighting limits. this is a village so outdoor limit is 16 but indoor is like 120. i quickly ran out of lights for what i needed.

5) i am closing on the outdoor deco limit as well. this prevented me from building some of the levels larger as i wanted to save space for deco.

while i was placing some fog generators i had a thought about the indoor vs outdoor wishlist item i posted here. what if we had a placeable invisible, scalable box purchasable from the COTO store (like the fog boxes) that marks an area as indoor? this will allow us to mark things like interior areas of a build to go against the indoor limits instead of the outdoor limits. would also allow the same indoor performance culling to occur as well. i would think there is already something like this going on for the interior of houses so the system knows the difference between outdoor and indoor. package it into a scalable, invisible box that we can place and good to go! lol i know its not that easy but one can dream :)

5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i'm so sorry i missed you! i logged in for my morning check and saw you were there but AFK. would have loved to shown you around a bit.

oh no! you most absolutely _have_ done something cool! i have been building with blocks in SotA for a couple of years and my skills have evolved greatly with lots and lots and lots of practice and inspiration/learning from others just like you. i still dont consider myself an expert at it and am myself awed at things i see built. though you think yours is _not_ cool, it was pretty amazing for me to visit and see what you had done. enough so to energize me to spend hours and hours of block building again :)

Time Lord and Lilith Ayin like this.
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

1) Ya, probably never for blocks since they can be rotated on an additional axis. But for deco like the ruined arch, I can see putting a ceiling deco surface on the underside, deco like that which stays firmly affixed to the ground and cannot be placed on other decoration, yes, I can look into at some point soon.

2) Hmmmm, maybe. I'll have to see what they look like underneath due to folks rotating along the additional axis. I got this on my to-do list to investigate.

3) I'll try to get some more stairs in, that's been on my list. Alley brought up a ladder with platform concept for the invisible walls. Maybe some stuff like that, sure. I got moving platforms also coming, but halted progress on those to wait until the elevator bugs are worked out.

4) Once in a while light limits go up, but not sure when the next round for that will be. Probably when optimization efforts can support it at some point in the future.

5) Interesting idea. Maybe a down the road thing one day. For now, culling of indoor items will probably remain actual indoor items.

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i have the impression that ceiling lights generally need a placement space as wide as the whole light, not just the connecting piece. there are not many things that would fit on that center stone of a ruined arch, if that's a tech limit. there may be a need for more long but narrow fixtures like the obsidian crystals to go on that kind of space.

Time Lord, Lilith Ayin and Elgarion like this.
  8. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

updated screenshots from last nights work. most work done to the underneath and the top level. working to build some kind of shrine on top and some foliage/peacefulness on the bottom :) probably going to remove the fog though, not liking it in the daylight and it covers up the blossom pavers underneath. i utilized different techniques to go from level to level with getting to the top level shrine being the most "secret". can you make it to the top? :D the ground level structures are what i call scissor stairs and are a great way to get your char elevated. depending on space requirements you can build them with 2x2x1 or 4x4x1 for the platforms. i use them a lot in my builds as i really like to build up and they are very efficient at elevating with only a few deco spots used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have spent a lot of time placing block together in the air. That must have been quite a challenge. It really looks awesome!

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Looks Great!!!

I like the use of the fog generators, if there were a disco ball near by it would whiten them beyond looking like the fog they do. I often find it difficult to place Grey Fog Generators due to them looking somewhat dirty if placed against a bright ground/background, yet in this you've done, I think it's the shade the overhead which makes them look as natural as they do.

That tree is fabulous!
    Well done, well done indeed!
    ~Time Lord~

Wilfred, Tirrag and Elgarion like this.
  11. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

thank you! it has been a lot of work but very fun. it helps that this is like my 6th attempt :) previous attempts used two village side-by-side adding to the complexity of the build. this one i built so i could knock out the back wall and expand two end-to-end if i wanted.

thank you!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Tahru, Wilfred and Time Lord like this.
  12. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

made only a few modifications yesterday. added block railing and an altar to the top level, pulled the fog generators, removed the four small columns on the main level (for now), and completed the paver pathway underneath. going to start building and adding more furniture to try to spruce it up a bit. maybe make it more into party palace :)

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Just something to ponder on (I know I've been pondering on them), I have yet to see a really good inclusion of these into our lot builds.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not a floating designer, all my builds involve no floating, but these seem very float'o'licious :D This just comes to mind when I see where that tree is. I have one at Britannia Manor that I use to jump from groud level to the balcony of a tower town home from it's backyard.
    ~TL~

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Wilfred and Tirrag like this.
  14. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

oh interesting what is that called? is it just a COTO store item?

just as a side note, the only floated blocks in Sky Palace are the scissor stairs. technically they dont need to be but aesthetically they look a lot better that way (IMHO). the rest is all traditional building :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Listed under "New Items" and I think they are very cheaply priced for what they do. We can craft the med, but the high altitude are what I am experimenting with. No safe-fall required :)~TL~

16. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i did just have a very interesting thought about the wooden stages... i wonder if they can take rugs? if i sunk a stage or two into the floor of the inner main level i might be able to get some better deco going on... sometimes i dont like new ideas lol. cant wait to try it but also not awesome to have to go backwards to go forwards. going to try placing it just on top of the blocks to try it out :)

17. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

nice thank you! will have to figure out the craftable too. i see this as a fun way to get from level to level if they work like i envision them working. great thought thank you!

18. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

is that the crafted one or the high one from the COTO store? trying to get an idea of the height capabilities. usability also depends on if its a ground-only item or if it can be placed on blocks.

19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

A three story leap is the high one and it's only through the coto store. The med is also in the store, but I understand that they can be crafted.

:eek: I think the high ones are,
    [​IMG]
    The med are about 2 story jumps.
    ~TL~

20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Recipe: Floor Turbine, Low Power
    All the info for that is on the wiki now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.