Sleep bonus - wishlist

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by ShurTugal, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

As I am sitting here decorating my place, it occurs to me that we have these beds and cots and such and you can lay down in them but that's it. there is no real benefit to sleeping in them so a thought occurred to me. What if we had a "sleep bonus" that we gain by sleeping in a bed or cot or some such for a period of time.

It would slowly wear off the longer we stay awake and to 'recharge' we would have to 'sleep' in a bed or some such for a period of time. There would also be 'energy drinks' that we could consume to extend the sleep bonus without actually sleeping but the longer we stay awake and the more we consume, the less effect they would have.

For the 'homeless' lol :) :) among us, there would be 'public sleep houses with beds where someone could grab a 'few hours of sleep' to gain the bonus. What that bonus could be, I haven't thought that far but something that people would want in order to encourage them to 'sleep' what are your thoughts on this matter????/ thank you :) :)

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

we get 1 gold coto for every hour our character sleeps... that would be awesome... :D

Mortanius and ShurTugal like this.
  3. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Cool idea, but... sleep in real time is... well, would be annoying.

Some people MIGHT try and leave their stuff logged in all day to get at the sleep bonus, but... I would expect Portalarium to make sleeping be something that can only be done for "8 hours" in the accelerated game time that then wears off within another 8 to 12 hours of accelerated game time. Meaning... nobody would leave their toons logged in to sleep while they work.

Which seems like something that would punish casual players and reward those who can afford to pull 4 to 6 hours of real world regular play in a session.

ShurTugal likes this.
  4. eli

eli Avatar

Sounds like an excellent narrative to work in power-hour!

If you log out sleeping in a bed, you can charge up 10-50% of your first hour of xp gains when you log back on, depending on how long you slept, up to an e.g. 12 hour cap.

For realism, your avatar model could stay in the game for this up to 12 hour period, preventing others from using the same bed.

A nice side-effect would be a nicely populated world where you can see who the active players are and where they live. It would also add demand for rent and make guild houses more useful.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  5. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

thanks for your feed back. :) :) valid concerns. Several things come to mind. I know in the past I have come across games where if you logged our character out in an Inn, than your character would wake up with a bonus to experience gained for a period of time. Using that same approach, have it so if you log your character out in a bed, than your character would gain the bonus. maybe you would need a set amount of time to be logged out to get the bonus in order to combat those who could lay down, log out than log back in to get the bonus. Second idea. have it so you lay in a bed for say 5 or so real world minutes, and you get the bonus which last for a period of time. just some ideas and it probably will never become reality. just floating ideas in my head :) :)

Sentinel2 and Nelzie like this.
  6. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

How about instead of getting an xp bonus if you log out in a bed or inn or some such for every hour you are "resting/sleeping" you get a 10% reduction of your accumulated decay up to 50 - 75 % I think that would give meaning to have a place to stay wether it's renting a room from a player (preferred) or npc or being a property owner

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I always thought they would be giving us a resting bonus from sleeping and logging out in a bed or sleeping bag, or even a campground, but since we do have buffs for so many things, how about a chance to dream and get a quest, like a dream sequence and sometimes you find something under your pillow? Please Please. @Lord British

8. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think something comparable has been suggested before but I still think this could be a good feature.

Sounds funny to sometime login but not into the „real“ novia but instead into a dream-version where you have to solve a quest to wake up with the possibility to get (or lose if you fail) some exp or maybe even some knowledge (like recipes or a +1 to a random skill) but if you are not interested there is offered a fast exit e.g. by jumping into a well.

Another idea the dreams could be based on your virtue. Following the path of love and you will dream of a small town full of loving and smiling NPCs while with an opposite virtue the NPCs will abuse each other and the avatar...but maybe a town would be too much but maybe a dead end would be another option with an Gate at the open end of the road and on passing the gate you wake up.

Maybe rarely some “nightmares” could be implemented too. E.g. you wake up somewhere in the woods with just oracle observers here and there that are following you. With each step you make it is getting a little bit darker and more observers appear to follow you. While it is getting darker and darker it is getting visible that the observers eyes glowing red until the point you are standing in complete darkness just surrounded by the red eyes and creepy sounds all around…than you wake up and maybe one oracle observer is standing right next to your bed starting to move away as you wake up. :p

But if dreams are implemented that are not part of a specific quest...
    (e.g. in a town the NPCs have horrible nightmares and to let them sleep peacefully you have to solve the riddle of the nightmares that may need in the end some sleep in a specific NPC bed that is standing in an abandoned house to e.g. fight an army of nightmare soldiers and their leader in a dream to end the curse)
    ...I would suggest that they are rare (<1%) to let them be something special.

ShurTugal and majoria70 like this.
  9. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Is the word you’re looking for “Inn”? And what about those of us who frequently pass out in taverns? Can we get the sleep bonus or would that be counteracted by the hangover? :confused:

ShurTugal likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lol you mean like choose option sleep or pass out which gives pink elephant dreams;)

11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Thats funny :) actually i intentionally ddin't use the the word Inn because Inns have a fee to stay the night and I was not necessarily talking about a "pay for bonus" or own property thing. I was actually referring to homeless shelters which at the time I couldn't remember the phrase but now that I am sitting here typing the phrase comes right to mind. :) :)

12. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Great ideas :) :) something like that would be a lot of fun :)

13. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

[​IMG]

14. Juan Solo

Juan Solo Avatar

I am more in favor of this idea: We all gain 10.000 daily EXP right, how about an extra bonus for thous who log out in a bed (5-7h) like +5.000 - 7.000 more. A handed EXP for new players.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There's a whole Wishlist forum.

It's not a new idea. It's one the Devs have said 'Someday' on many times. They want to do it.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Sentinel2 likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Is it that obvious? LOL

19. drahn

drahn Avatar

I suggested adding in a campfire along the same lines and would love to see this as an option to logout in the wilderness ;)

Additionally I thought putting in a campfire (using wood for something else would be great) and allow us to sit and heal/regenerate a little faster than normal. This could really add to the social aspect if we could get a little bump even if only for 5 minutes after sitting at a campfire and maybe +1 for each other person sitting around it.

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.