Slow zoning times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dartmouth, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dartmouth

Dartmouth Avatar

I don't have the best PC but it's not bad. I've read others complain. I can assure everyone that this game will die a very quick death if zoning times aren't drastically reduced. We're in an age of technology and those people who game, where instant gratification is paramount. Everyone wants results and anyone who still believes we're involved with a "pre-release" game are kidding themselves. The old saying..."if it walks like a duck"...certainly holds true here.
    Zoning in this game is unbelieveably long. The shortest wait I have in the game is zoning into my basement, usually around 15 to 20 seconds. Zoning out of my basement takes a minimum of 2 minutes. Zoning into a city is abysmal. I've been able to leave my PC, go brew a short pot of coffee, come back and still have to wait.
    Should this not be corrected, very few new players will stay.
    My roomate has an outstanding PC with an SSD and he has almost the same wait length as me. He says "in this day and age, these waits are unacceptable" . So...he logs in basically to complain. I like the game but it's a shame. I get the impression that the Devs are more interested in how the game looks as opposed to how the game reacts.

Denzel, Budner, Montaigne and 4 others like this.
  2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I believe they are still in the process of optimizing the game... but the recent optimizations has reduced the loading times for me... I used to wait like 2 to 4 minutes but that has been reduced to like 1 minute... it's still slow but it's an improvement...

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  3. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

..... if it doesn't have enough great content to keep people playing for years & years.

Zone times are the least of my worries.

Edit: this post seems odd now because the title was changed. Fyi the original title was ""This game will die if ....""

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

My expeience is that the first 50% of the zone content loading is nearly instant. Then a pause which can take a minute. Then a rapid climb to the 92% marker aafter which there is a wait of about a minute for the rest to arrive.

5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Yes, the load time needs to be reduced. The optimization is an ongoing process. However, they are less likely to put all hands on deck on optimization until they get the feature completed tech for episode 1.

Premature optimization will end up making the project take even longer to complete. Just like premature ejaculation, we wouldn't want that.

6. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I agree. Zone loading times are measurably longer for this release. Yesterday they seemed to clear up but are back to their old tricks today. It is something I think they're aware of and I expect it to be fixed soon.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Garfunkel Humperdinck

Garfunkel Humperdinck Bug Hunter

The game has a looooong way to go. The scene loading times are pretty rough currently. Spawning in Ardoris after login takes me 2.2 minutes. (Timed it with a stop watch) And my PC is high end with Windows 10 freshly installed and decent internet. The zoning does get a bit faster the longer the game runs though for some odd reason. Login zoning is the worst of it.

That being said PVP, the economy, frame rates, SFX, cloned scenes, agriculture, story, NPC's, quests, ect... all need tons of work still. If even a few of these things are weak the game won't do well out in the wild. Some might even feel that loading times are the least of our problems right now.

But even with all of these issues, I'm still enjoying the game. Just imagine how much fun the game will be when all of the things listed above are fixed. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Evidently the development team agrees with you...
    This is from the most recent Standup Corner:
    It astounds me sometimes how people seem to think the Development Team doesn't know or care about issues.

fonsvitae, Elwyn, Kara Brae and 5 others like this.
  9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Load times were never great to begin with for me. I wish that the overland encounters and sieges would have been held back until it's less of an issue, because I think they really amplify one of the game's biggest weaknesses.

I don't see anyone here saying or implying that devs don't know or care about this problem, just that it is a big problem that turns a lot of people off of the game, which I think is true.

Denzel, Armar, evillego6 and 3 others like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

From the original post...

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's actually increased for me.

12. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I forgot which release it was... the game would stop responding while loading Ardoris in Multiplayer... that was really bad... T_T

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Numa like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just to provide context, SOTA has been slammed over and over again in the past on Steam for "outdated and horrible graphics quality". The drive to improve the animation & graphics fidelity accelerated last year to address this perception and we now have a game that is looking much better.

The load times are a problem - no one enjoys waiting several minutes for a scene to load. But I'm confident that Port will address it since, as you said, the scene loading delay will significantly affect people's perception of the game.

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea as much as i wanna wreck the devs lately,
    Load times arnt terrible terrible. That neing said.. in one patch they had reduced em like 50% so its super safe to say that they will be drasticly reduced.

Lack of end game content. Lack of variety of resources. Lack of ... etc are much more worrying to me then the xurrent load times.

Garfunkel Humperdinck and Numa like this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

They also need to pick an audience too.

Koldar, Armar and Numa like this.
  16. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes, we are definitely still focused on performance overall, and are working to improve loading times. There were some recent issues in the last build that increased loading times for some, but not all.

Changing title of thread to not sound like a complete whitewash of the subject intended to project...

Denzel, Hornpipe, Montaigne and 5 others like this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thank you for changing the title to fit the topic. I suffer from slow loading times, but even more so from forum threads the titles of which don't give a clue as to their substance.

Kabalyero likes this.
  18. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

Do you need any info or system specs for those of us that are seeing slow loading times?

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  19. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I believe you can send it as a bug report... just to a /bug in chat and it will show you info about your system, it will also copy it to clipboard, it will also open the bug thread or forum where you can post about it... ^_^

Numa likes this.
  20. Armar

Armar Avatar

Yep, my loading times did go up too with the last release. Do the devs collect system info for this? If yes, where?

// Armar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.