Sneaked in Patch: lower skill gain per click

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

The gm carps I know leveld it like this, this was also true for blacksmithy.

They gathered a large pool of xp then they stole loot from a cpl blacksmith shops in single player and multi player and simply salvaged to gm.

Under the previous system you never needed to make a single item and in about 4 days you could gm those two crafting skills.

If you were to do that now it would be tedious, its better just to play the game. There is alsmot no benfit from 90 to 100 anyways except a shiny button near ur name.

Bom and Cally like this.
  2. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

The only things I really dislike about this change are:
    1. once again, it's another major change that was excluded from patch notes... devs really need to stop doing that.
    2. reagent use. Since leveling a skill is a lot slower now, you'll go through significantly more reagents while trying to level skills that require reagents compared to what you'd go through before for equivalent level gains.
    3. this really sucks for raising resource expensive crafting skills like enchanting and masterworking. It also gives an unfair advantage to those who raised those skills before this change while anyone deciding to raise those skills now will spend 4x (or whatever the rate reduction was) more materials to catch up,
    4. timing really sucks for me in particular since I've decided to abandon Air, due to the also not included in the patch notes change to Air reagent use rates, and switch to Earth/Fire.
    I used a little over 1 million XP over the weekend, but I'm still not caught up in Earth to where I was with my Air skills yet unfortunately.

LoneStranger, Spinok, Snazz and 3 others like this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It should have been included in the patch info, thats bad on them. But the change was needed early vrs near release.

Bom and Cally like this.
  4. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

to me the satisfaction of completing what I start. If we had carpentry or bowmaker shops salvaging would be easier.

Matt Harris and LoneStranger like this.
  5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I actually also dont mind the slow down with the exception of the fact that all those guys who rushed crafting to GM first thing are now sitting pretty. If I had known this was going in, I would have spent more time working on crafting. I had a good 4K ore sitting in my chests ready to craft and a ton of adv exp from mining (or continuing to mine).

LoneStranger, Cally and Govenor Ruin like this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What they coulda done to reign in on the whole savlvage to gm thing is reduce a bit the savgage stack size and tie it into your savlage skill. So as your skill increases the more items you can que at a time but its mute now. This fix will work, and the handful of people who dove into crafting early wont impact the game long term and congrats for them.

Now what they should do with it is tie it into how much u can sell your looted items for. Bottom of the scale would be what you get from merchants top of scale could be what you get from blacksmiths.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Cally likes this.
  7. mass

mass Avatar

If the purpose of this is to ensure we have enough of a pool to handle decay, a sliding scale of minimum pools where if you are over the minimum you go back to the normal xp draw would be more fair. For example
    Adv level 1-20: when pool exceeds 3000, previous xp draw, under 3,000 current xp draw
    Adv level 20-40: over 10,000 previous, under 10,000 current
    Adv level 40-60: over 50,000 previous, under 50,000 current
    ect.

I spent much of R33 building up xp pool and resources to level crafting, and now it's pretty much meaningless.

Cally likes this.
  8. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This was my change and I simply missed it when reviewing my change lists. For those who have been with us for a while, pre-final wipe there was a 4X experience bonus that dumped pool into the pool at 4X the rate it was earned. To better handle that the rate at which XPs were applied was multiplied by 4. We forgot to remove that multiplier so most players were sitting around with an empty pool. This was going to cause unexpected behavior once decay is turned on so I removed the 4x modifier.

For those who don't know, XP is applied at a rate of about 1/10th of 1% per use of a skill. It was at about 4/10th of 1%. The expect result is what seems to have already happened for most. Your pool fills up to be about 4X larger and that 1/10th of 1% is then applying the same as the 4/10th of 1%. This was not intended to be a secret and was discussed in Discord extensively. I just missed adding it to the release notes.

9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I knew it!!! :D

FrostII likes this.
  10. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

It gets old, their game their rules but I dislike how they change things with out letting anyone know.

FrostII likes this.
  11. Zader

Zader Avatar

Thank you for the details! This makes our experience easier to understand.

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You guys should have put in the skill decay. I'd prefer to have it now so I can judge better as to what skills I can maintain as a hardcore casual player.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  13. Chris

Still discussing turning it on now in a patch.

Senash Kasigal, Bom, NRaas and 3 others like this.
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Its a good time, I know I have a good exp pool now for crafting and exp to deal with a sudden loss.

15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I agree, turn on decay. Let's get the bugs ironed out asap, and get the system working now, rather than later! We can have less interruption later, if as many systems come into play as soon as possible, or else ppl start getting used to certain ways of play.. and complain! :)

Bom and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Consider a "light" release with 1/2 the decay so people can get prepared for what it will be like. But specifically note half decay or like Fister Magee says, people will complain (they will anyways).

Tiki Pirate, Bom and Fister Magee like this.
  17. Chris

We plan on easing decay in but that will be done through the max accumulated amount starting very low and moving up over time until it is at the target number.

18. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I thought this change had your fingerprints on it. Anyway I see the change as better than having the low exp icon on your screen. Thanks for owning it. :)

Fister Magee likes this.
  19. Horance

Horance Avatar

It makes perfect sense. I'm much happier with the current behavior of the XP pool.

20. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I would reconsider this, as this will only increase the gap the power gamers can achieve as they know it is coming.. just give it all to us! :) Let's roll with it.. and adjust.

Tiki Pirate, Bom and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.