Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SO a change was made making it harder to gain skills???

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Weins201, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

So it has been stated that skills will now gain slower.

They still take the exact same number of experience points to go from one level to another, and the points earned also have not changed . . .

But

They have made each skill use (gain) actually put fewer points toward your skill gains . . . .

So each "tick" that used to take (or earn) 10 points will not only take (earn) 5 points or whatever number you want to use.

So in the end it will take that many more uses to actually gain a level in a skill. (in my example 2x more)

In the end every player who has already gained level 100, or any high level you so aim for if you have not already achieved it, you will now have to grind 2x more to get there????

I have said it now at least 5 times, . . . . and started long before persistence - Developers needed to start slow and low and then you can give more but taking away is NOT the answer.

You have just simply put every player who is casual or just starting in a group that will have to grind that much more to even come close to players who ground away, and some even found loop holes (taming).

This is another in one of the "worst ideas ever" category.

In the end I would start telling player that a wipe of some kind is in the future if you do not balance the scales at some point, they will never, ever be able to be balanced. Ever.

Kaisa, kaeshiva, Gamician and 12 others like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not exactly Weins, it scales with the size of your pool so it speeds up when your pool is larger. What it means is that new people and people that have trouble with micro management no longer end up with empty pools so easily.

uziraff, EMPstrike, Olthadir and 10 others like this.
  3. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

Is there a formula for gauging how much of a pool you need to maximize this scaling effect? or is that possible, with the varience of skills you can have draining the pool?

THE HENDOMAN

4. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

This is what Chris had to say about this in another thread on this change.
    So technically, the previous leveling rate before this change was actually a bug. It was never intended to be that fast. Unfortunately, this means those who GMed skills before the change now have a massive advantage on the grind. Especially for crafting skills such as Enchanting and Masterworking where you'll now have to use 4x more materials to catch up to those who leveled it before this change to skill gain.

It's still significantly slower to level up skills now since you have to use them 4x more to get the same gain you used to get. As I said above, this sucks particularly for expensive crafting skills such as enchanting and masterworking where you'll have to use 4x more materials for the same gain as previously.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Sigh. Having a full wipe at this point was SUCH a good idea. ;)

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is still quite fast, takes a day or less for a GM, but it does hurt a bit for skills like masterworking that require expensive mats.

7. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

I don't know how exactly the pool-based bonus works, but... doesn't this just mean you have to accumulate 4x the pool than before and have the exact same skillgain-rate as before?

8. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I think the change was definitely needed. People were leveling up all of their skills way too fast. It was just a bad time for this change to be made so many weeks after final wipe. It wouldn't be an issue at all if they were able to wipe player levels again, but since they promised persistence now, those who focused on all of their skills heavily before this change are definitely at an advantage in both time spent to get to those levels and crafting material usage.

Yes, but that will be quite a large pool for any skills that are level 80+.

9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

wow.. gratz to all those who played smart and lvled to GM enchantment and MW skills before r34.

Tydes, Gaelis, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  10. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's also quite bad for elemental summons. In addition to being much more expensive per skill level, your skill will never go anywhere if you just summon pets for combat as needed. It will all be done in town and it will be pretty expensive too.

4EverLost likes this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

And THAT is the exact problem, I would not call it a bug but . . . . .

FrostII likes this.
  12. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

I vote for skill wipe. There was way to many exploits that peope was using to get to GM. Now when most of them are fixed skillgain is 4x slower... That's not fair to casual players and newcomers!

13. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I don't have any skill beyond 70 (most in the 40-50 range) and as casual gamer without interest in grinding or skill-gain optimization it will take me ages to get to GM or even master level. Still I don't think this change would warrant a skill wipe.
    Yes, some people had it easier to get to GM. As long as I am not directly competing (i.e. PvP) I do not have a disadvantage. The game doesn't lose any value for me or any other player.
    Is it fair? Participating in Early Access has all sorts of advantages or disadvantages - faster skill gain in the beginning might be offset by buggy releases and frustration about missing features / incomplete quests. So I think it is fair. Otherwise you could make the same argument about the advantages early pledges receive or the (cosmetic) items you could achieve by doing the grand tours.

If the past skill gain of other players would affect the play experience of you, me and other players significantly the matter should be reviewed. But IMHO that is not the case.

Olthadir likes this.
  14. Net

Net Avatar

It will just get expensive on reagents to level all the reagent requiring spells:/

How about indirect competition? E.g. higher level people having access to scenes with more and better resources and being more cost effective in all they do thus making profit where you cannot?

PS: Anyway I agree with Weins, the game should start hard in early access (especially after final wipe) and then be made easier. Then it is easier to catch up and all benefit. Making things harder means that those who "exploited" broken and unbalanced early phase will stay more powerful longer. It is much harder to catch them even if you dedicate as much time as they after changes such as this one. It will balance out eventually, but it will take much longer. And when it comes to economy and raffle tickets some players might get quite an advantage when it comes to efficient ways to pool the gold.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  15. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

+1 to "Thank you for making this change. Now I finally have a skill pool to train non-combat skills."

As an "all skills open" guy, I was always down to 2000 or less XP in the pool making it hard to skill anything not continuously used during combat.

Net likes this.
  16. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

HIHI.. skill wipe mean: 50% of players stops to play.

the only players that can play again can be NEWBYES.. AND WHO USED BUGS TO GAIN LEVELS...

i fight a very very very very very lot of monsters to gain just 1 GM SKILL...

i never do this .. AGAIN.

SEARCH WHO USED BUGS TO GAIN CRAFTING SEARCH WHO USED RING OF FIRE TO GAIN POINTS... AND REDUCE SKILL TO THIS PLAYERS.

FrostII, Cosmos and Weins201 like this.
  17. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

This is a complete slap in the face to all new and casual players, they could at least lower the required skill points for the skills with high rare material requirements....or left it alone for crafting and only adjusted it for adventureing.

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Maybe there's a group of gamers that are welcoming this change, to make things harder. Maybe this game isn't for those who want an easy time? Maybe the need to worry about noobs is long past us as our game becomes more difficult. Why does everyone worry about the noobs so much? It makes no sense. But I'm sure I'll be told by many how important it is for the noobs to get into the game easily (why do we want noobs that need an easy game, tell me?).

RoStudios and Olthadir like this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It needed adjusting, better now than later.

uziraff, Snikorts and Fister Magee like this.
  20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Better before wipe than now, but true... would be a killer after launch.

Themo Lock and Snikorts like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.