So how come Ultima IX hasn't been modded with a female Avatar yet?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by The One True Nobody, Feb 1, 2017.

1. The One True Nobody

The One True Nobody Avatar

I'm not asking this to be whiny or anything, it's actually something I'm curious about. I've been looking into Ultima IX mods recently and it's occurred to me that, while a mess of work was put in redoing the dialogue and trying to make the economy and monsters all play better, I haven't seen any sign of anyone attempting to provide an option for the Avatar character that isn't Blonde Doofus Dude. My upcoming playthrough of Ultima IX is gonna be a playthrough of the game-as-it-was-at-launch regardless (minus all of the crashing problems that GOG seems to have managed to smooth over), but I'm wondering if there's ever been any talk of accomplishing this particular mod: the restoration of a female-gender Avatar option to the game, even if it's just a single blonde counterpart option like the one in Ultima VII: The Black Gate.

I certainly wouldn't say no to one! As you can probably tell just by looking at my (forum) avatar, that's the Avatar I'd play as given the option.

Numa likes this.
  2. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Currently the Ultima series is owned by Electronic Arts and not by Portalarium. I believe.

Sorry if this is a bubble burster.

Because of copyright legal stuff the devs probably won't comment on it.

Electronic Arts is your best bet for that question.

Or just stay here with us and help make the best next game on the market.

3. The One True Nobody

...Uh, since when have fan-mods been the domain of Electronic Arts? This is a question about fan-modding, or is that a taboo topic here?

4. Ravalox

Ravalox SotA Developer Moderator SOTA Developer

Not taboo by any means, just might not find as many detailed responses here as you would on the Ultima Dragons site, or other boards dedicated to classic Ultimas.

5. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

As far as I know there is no modding in SOTA. It was talked about long long ago but I don't think that is part of any future that I have heard of.

But @Ravalox is correct.

6. The One True Nobody

Which obviously isn't a concern, since this is about Ultima IX.

But I see. I figured a crowd interested in the development of a successor-type game might have some overlap with the modding community, but perhaps not to the degree I expected.