So I just started playing the game today. I did Kickstarter years ago and sorta forgot...lol

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Laeadern, Oct 28, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laeadern

Laeadern Avatar

Any advice for a new player anyone cares to share?

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to the game @Laeadern. I'm majoria in game. I accept all friends requests and am happy to answer questions anytime. Here are some basics I can think of:

1-You get 2 free property deeds now. Row deed from doing captain Kinseys quests in Solace Bridge outskirts. A village deed you get from completing the story. These deeds are taxed and only place able in player owned towns. Row lots have a default house and you can craft or buy different homes to change the house later.

2-We have a mail system. You can send almost anything by mail . To mail something do 'send mail' then player name, then drag items, type subject which can be a long subject or write on blank paper, flyers, or books to send a longer note to someone. You can also craft mailboxes for your house.

3-Don't forget to talk to the oracle in an Oracle building placed in most player towns you enter into or most npc towns. Click on test and say yes or no to the question they ask. If you haven't done any quests yet your answers could be yes or no. Read and see if you have an affinity to a certain virtue or hold it in disdain which is a no answer. You get 500 gold a day and experience for doing this. If you answer wrong you have to wait until the next day.

4- Also don't forget to talk to the town criers. They give you 250 gold for first visit to a town (player towns also)

5-Our modes of travel are varied. Such as teleportals and sign posts players have put down for moving around in a town easier and npcs towns also have the sign posts, , recall scrolls, and most importantly teleport to zone scrolls.

Teleport to zone scrolls are my favorite. These have a variety of utility. So it is useful to drag the scrolls to your non combat bar but if not they still work the same way by clicking on 'use'. Unlike the other scrolls they do not immediately take you anywhere. If unencumbered since you can't use them encumbered a list of locations you have previously visited will come up. You can cursor over the locations and press the control key to see location descriptions of what is in the scene. You can also filter the list by various things by typing in the filter area. These scrolls will mark all locations you have visited.

6-You can click the y key to create a deck. and the k key looks at your skills. Our skill system draws from a pool of experience seen at the bottom of the skills window, tabbed by adventure skills, and producer skills which are crafting, harvesting etc. The x key is the default to change decks you are using but also an icon can show in the lower right corner. It shows if you have set an alternate deck to switch between. When clicking y to create a deck you can click the blue gear to modify and drag spells to your hot bar for that deck. Don't forget to click 'use current equipment', and you can have a musical instrument on at all times they weigh only 1 pound.

7- We do have a music system (speaking of instruments). We have the ability to play in groups or solo. We also have the ability to convert or get converted abc files or midi files to our Shroud of the Avatar sheet music folder to later make into sheet music. Once in sheet music form anyone can play from that sheet music. For example my song vendor in game has many sheet music's sitting out for you to click on to hear. You don't have to have the sheet music on you and you can also drag a sheet music to your non combat bar to play at any time.

**The c-key is to see your character, the j-key is to see your journal, the b-key is to see your recipe book, the o-key is to see your emotes,/t is the trade window, /u is for universe chat, /l is for local chat to someone next to you, /z is for all in the scene or zone you are, /p is when you are in a party for party chat, /g is for guild chat when in a guild.

8-Chat windows can be dragged out from the original window to create various options to not miss anything such as whispers from someone. Then you can resize them using the arrows on the side. Then use the right blue gear to uncheck what you see in each window to customize your experience in finding things.

9- Regarding combat we have a use system so using skills raises them. You can raise as many as you like. After 40ish your skills will take too much xp so turn off some to not raise all at once. Don't forget to get passives from different trees to help you survive such as fire is important. We don't have a cap on skills in this game. I've heard that some will have a soft cap heading to ward the 200 mark but you don't have to worry about that too often unless later you do. I never personally have and I've been here since 2013. Also regarding for example life and death choices they would affect attunement and damage of each. I for example do life so I don't do death. Another example is fire and water but I have some of each to get the passive protection.

Ok just some things I was thinking of lol. I am not an expert on everything but I do hope this helps. I decided to save this and add to it later if I think of something. Happy journeys. Hope to see you in game.

***note to all. If I stated something incorrectly or unclearly please advise to help new players.

edited

edited again

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  3. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Laeadern
    The forums is where you need to be to ask questions and search for help. A great Resource is Community Resources but for a new player it is probably too much to take in at first. The best thing to do is to Checkout The Player Guide and Deck Building. Deck building is how you arrange your skills in the attack bar at the bottom of the screen and is complicated. A good understanding is a big help in how you fight and the weapons and spells you use.

If you are online you can switch to the Universal Chat channel (/u) and ask questions as you play but they will usually be short or quick answers. The forums are better for research.

Either way have fun exploring and make lots of friends.

majoria70, Time Lord and Laeadern like this.
  4. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

Welcome to the game. If you did Kickstarter then you should have some kind of rewards, so click the rewards icon in your right of screen. I think you have to use same email address as Kickstarter or just link them.
    Should be on your account page.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=4557#tab-1

Edit: Corrected "done kind of rewards" to "some kind of rewards"

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Greyson586, majoria70 and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.