So...Let's talk Damage Avoidance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAKelam1, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

So first, a little rant... you post a random system question in a forum, don't tag me or any other dev but act like we are somehow negligent because we don't answer your question for days? Would you expect the same of any game? Seriously, if you went to WoW or GW2 forums and made a post demanding to know the math would you expect a dev to reply and give you the formulas? I love answering questions and talking about this stuff but this isn't the right way to get an answer AND just because we have answered in the past doesn't mean we're going to drop our actual development work to come answer a question mid-release.

@Halfwitte Now sure who got banned but if it was a game ban, they are free to contact me. As recently as this morning the server banned someone . If it is a forum ban, I'm not the guy to talk to.

@mystarr thanks for tagging me and you got the math right. We add up all the values that impact hit quality. So coming up with a static percentage value we could show you is impossible because it depends on your target. Just like your firebolt might say 20-37 damage but then only does 5 when you cast it on an obsidian golem.

As to the topic...

You are correct, the % sign should be removed from damage avoidance. Seems you already knew this was the case so not sure why the hostility instead of just filing a bug about it. I just fixed this. This was just a UI issue.

To the numbers:
    Plate Torso:
    Avoidance:5
    Resistance 4
    Absorption: 0.16
    Fizzle: -32

Chain Torso:
    Avoidance: 3
    Resistance: 4
    Absorption: 0.15
    Fizzle: -17

So for the extra 15 fizzle gets you 2 more avoidance and 0.01 absorption. I agree this is a steep penalty for not a ton more benefit and probably should be balanced a bit. My spreadsheet math shows that for 32 fizzle I need to up some stuff to make it balanced. The math is SUPER fuzzy though by design. Oddly, it looks like mainly it is just the torso that is severely out of whack. Expect a few more points of Avoidance and another point of Resistance in the next patch on the torso.

In the future, please message me directly with data if you think you see something out of whack. I have about 5 full time jobs up here and I don't have time to read every single forum thread and it is very frustrating to just stumble on something like this.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

And this is why I love you Chris, glad you got to this post and looked into it so fast once you got tagged, DONT WORRY, most of us are on your side and know what you do is complicated and time consuming!

Nikko, Jaesun, Retlaw and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

BTW, I end up missing a lot of tags as well so best bet is always a private message! :)

Also, sorry if my reply was a bit harsh but I did my occasional thing where I start my day at 4AM and make the wife take the little one to work. I'm grumpy when I don't get some time with the wee little one in the mornings. :(

4. DAKelam1

DAKelam1 Avatar

@Chris I had made another post tagging you asking the same question and it had the topic changed and post moved to a different forum. Water under the bridge at this point. Thank you for looking into this. I understand you are busy it was the nonchalant way it seemed that you blew off and ignored the question from the r53 livestream question that really got me upset and frustrated.

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks for the confirmation.

6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I Heart Chris.

Daigoji Gai, Nikko and Adam Crow like this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

:p
    [​IMG]

By Tor and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well now you know to pm him directly in the future per his words. ;)

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  9. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Wondering, does anyone know if this actually did get fixed? Just stumbled on this thread so sorry to be 6 months late to the party. :) Anyway when I hover over a plate torso item, DA still shows as a % overall but the added DA from masterworking does show as a flat number.

But mainly I just want to make sure that the math in this thread is still right since it is awesome. :)

I should probably tag someone but first I'll just see if any of the OP folks here put this thread on watch and see what happens... :)

Jason_M likes this.
  10. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

While the word avoidance means to get out of the way of, and the word resistance means to supply an opposing force, it is important to note the devs have taken a different stance.

Avoidance used to be effective until the devs noticed light armor wearers using it effectively. Resistance has always had little to no effect.

Then we talk about math and logic.

Typically if the first few premises are flawed, the rest is poo.

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.