So...that was quite the weekend...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ultima Codex, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

So it would seem that things basically exploded over the weekend, and as a result quite a number of people have been given a goodly number of warnings, if not a temporary ban. It was a seriously shameful display that occurred here, one which unfortunately has become depressingly typical of PvP-related discussions. I am disappoint.

So, in the hope that it will serve as a useful reference for people, and because more than a few people I've moderated over the past couple weeks have pled ignorance thereof, I've left a copy of the forum rules in the general and Dev+ PvP sub-fora. Because yes, that would seem to be the point that has been reached, whereat such a move was necessary.

rild, OSullivan, AndiZ275 and 3 others like this.
  2. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

To avoid these discussions (which I unfortunately missed) it might be prudent to actually tell us abit about what the plans for pvp are to avoid them.

Owain likes this.
  3. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

Maybe, but then you would get discussions around what was mentioned for PvP. It isn't the information that brings out the arguments, it is the people behind the arguments. Just giving more information won't stop people from arguing about that new information because they like/don't like what was mentioned.

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I don't think its the topics or discussions. Its the attitudes, or not what you say but how you say it.

Isaiah, rild, NirAntae and 8 others like this.
  5. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

I agree that it's also the people, but a part of it also stems from the complete lack of information we have so far. If the devs were to come out and say "Ok, this is what we're probably going for". The discussions would be far more constructive (I hope), rather than trying to validate/invalidate other peoples playstyles.

Edit: From what I've seen so far its "Pvpers are stupid, this game is not for them" or "You carebears have PLENTY of other games to play". Or more or less anyway ;) Either way, that sort of debate is always going to end up heated.

Freeman likes this.
  6. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Uncertainty -- and, for that matter a lack of clear communication on the matter on the part of the devs -- is no excuse for the sort of nastiness that occurs (and requires moderation) in the PvP sub-fora on a too-regular basis.

Consider: is it not entirely possible that the constant immature -- and I say that as a parent of a child who is in kindergarten, so my bar for what constitutes unacceptable immaturity is set pretty high -- bickering, negativity, and insult-slinging that takes place in far too many PvP discussions has had a chilling effect on the willingness of the developers when it comes to talking more openly about PvP? Should anyone reasonably be expected to want to address subject matter that seems to quite consistenly bring out the worst in people more or less by default? Were I the one tasked with designing SotA's PvP system, I'd be about ready to scrap the feature entirely, for how ugly the speculation surrounding so often becomes.

StromIV and Umbrae have it right: it's the attitudes that are the issue here. It shouldn't matter whether we've been given little-to-no or full-on reams of information about PvP; people should be able to discuss the topic in a more-or-less civil manner. It is this civility, however, that seems to be lacking far, far too often. And it is this issue, regardless of how much or little has been said about PvP, that must change...and then soon.

rild, NirAntae, OSullivan and 2 others like this.
  7. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

There's a kernel of truth here, too. And from the standpoint of the moderation team, this suggests that the most straightforward path is to simply shut down any discussion that begins to trend toward exactly this sort of exchange.

Somehow, though, I very much doubt that this is what the majority of people here -- wherever they fall in the spectrum of opinions about PvP -- want to see happen.

Which fact, in turn, suggests what the path forward for discussions here should be.

8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

We are confronted with one of the cons of crowd funding.

Developing a game open and public to the internet with different expectations of backers in regards of how the game should turn out.

9. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

I've only ever used my ignore button here in the PvP threads - multiple times for multiple people. So I can't say I blame you.

I usually clear it after about a week. Sometimes I'll click the "read" button anyway. It's probably the same reflex that makes me want to identify roadkill.

10. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Which is why I really think that RG / Portalarium should have developed their concepts for how PvP would work, or at least the high end objectives, more and put out some unambiguous info about that before the KS drive. If the team has as diverse an opinion on PvP as they seem to imply, they certainly were aware that this was a hot topic that would spawn endless discussion, and particularly so over things that the players perceive as not yet set in stone.

That is in the past, though. No sense to rush the decisions now.

11. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

There will be arguements and debates, But, both sides should be respectful to eachother. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that every time something happens, its the people who support pvp are threaten that " the project should be scrapped" or " pvp should be taken out all together" Why is it I keep hearing that?

Again, people can be polite and still have debates/argue points. More so, this seems to be more of an older more mature group of people. Why are people so quick to attack eachother instead of working together. Is this not what donations were all about?

12. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Wait we have an ignore feature. That is good news. Now to figure out how to use it.

skinned likes this.
  13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@Osullivan
    Click on the user's name to the left of their post, click the ignore link.

14. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

This doesn't work on one's own user though - I've tried it! >.<

BillRoy and Kambrius like this.
  15. Robby

Robby Avatar

I try to B good!
    Ive never had to use the ignore feature. Dont think I ever will, I got nerves of steel when it comes to reading things in the forums that happen to offend me. =P So hit me with all ya got, so long as its within forum rules. In other words, correct me if im wrong I dont rage.

TemplarAssassin and rild like this.
  16. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

and don't try it on a Mod. Derp.

Kambrius likes this.
  17. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

*Turns red in embarrassment*
    Yep, tried that too...:rolleyes:

OSullivan likes this.
  18. Robby

Robby Avatar

But what if the mod taunts you and insults you and calls you a "blank blank blankity blank" and all that? =O Whatre ya gonna do?

19. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Report the post same as any & let the remaining mods or Firelotus herself decide what gets done about it.

20. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Say "Thank you! May I have another?" and move on. :)

TemplarAssassin, Myrcello and skinned like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.