So why was my crest deleted?

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Razimus, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Huh?

Can you point out where that is in the pledge tiers? That is the absolute first time I have ever heard that.

2. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Where is this info located? The only thing i could find is

"Custom Crest In Game
    Get your own Family Crest for display on your shield, tabard and house flag, made from a customized image uploaded by YOU! (Submitted Art subject to Developer Approval). "

this is for "Virtual Collector" level. Baron and LOTM don't say anything about exclusive crests that I can see.

Razimus and Joviex like this.
  3. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Which also disproves the above sentiment.

The problem is, again, another thing they promised without any real "research" or design beforehand. Then this group came along and started to take over the more focused role.

So there was never any promise about specific tiers, arrangements, nor about non-unique vs unique charges, just a tag line of "subject to approval".

4. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

O'Sullivan and the rest...
    I may be a bit off on this, but Richard appointed the college to oversee the style for the game as he felt "they got it". They understood what his vision was. Now those that Richard had faith in are not here right now. Those of us that are, are trying to carry on in the tasking Richard gave. Our main goals are to provide a generator and the blazon for players arms.

Can you all just take it easy on those that remain? Being left with no administrative access to sites and myriad other issues is not easy to over come!

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It was verbal, from Portalarium to the College.
    But having said that, there is only one LotM that has a custom design, and you'll likely never see him in game.

All of the Dukes and LotM I know have devices out of the same group that everyone else has to work with.

Joviex likes this.
  6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

That should read, "Then this group was asked to take over the more focused role."

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

So that means that the reward has been changed, but there is no official notice of this anywhere?

o_O

8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Well I took that to mean that "unique" ones, using symbols not in the general large database of symbols, are only for those levels.

So if I wanted a race car, of which zero exist in the general populace database, I can do that @ Duke and above.

Or if I wanted a custom skull, like in this thread, I could get that as well, but it would then be unique to me, and no one else can use it.

Otherwise, we, the general public, still have to pull symbols from the approved database, which could be used on multiple shields, thus not unique.

9. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

Exactly, however, we do guarantee that your device as a whole will be unique. :)

Bajan Grace and Ronan like this.
  10. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Bubonic is 100% correct, it was Virtual Collector, specifically before a cutoff point, after the cutoff point Virtual Collector's didn't see that Founder Bonus, so it was Founder's/Royal Founder's of Virtual Collector and above before the cutoff point, and I pledged long before the cutoff point.

Even for making this thread I've seen 3 different 'official' responses to my question, telling me that all chaos has broken loose and apparently DarkStarr is in control of this thread, because 3 different official responses? I wasn't asking the government about a UFO crash at Roswell, it was a fairly simple question but now it seems I'm being punished for even asking it. So be it, I'm an honest person, an honest pledger.

Deliverence, Joviex and Ronan like this.
  11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Nobody is punishing you in any meaningful sense of the word as far as I can tell. Rather, the "official" responses that have been given in this thread were all made to try to answer your question and the questions of others. It is important to remember, though, that Portalarium has final say over both pledge rewards and the role of the College. And I can tell you with certainty no one has intended even an ounce of aggression toward you in this thread. ;)

Now, as I said, I will try to help you with getting your CoA straightened out, if you are willing to let me help. How about it?

12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I appreciate the hard work the College of Arms are doing on a volunteer basis, I'm sorry to hear about the one member leaving and having to reconstruct it, I have been in similar situations when it comes to volunteer projects, it's hard to keep a team motivated, and I do appreciate the hard work. I just hope the "shading" thing isn't an official answer because I never was told anything about shading, and if asked I would change the shading in a heartbeat, there's zero communication when it comes to shading and zero information from them to me concerning shading, I made the design and am happy to remove any shading, so this non-existent shading issue is a non-issue, if it ever was an issue it was behind my back, I'm an artist of over 20 years I can re-shade the thing in 20 seconds, in fact I'll re-shade it just for you guys, but that was never an issue.

Joviex and Trenyc like this.
  13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I didn't wish to keep the shading in, that is an incorrect, inaccurate, false statement, I was never informed of any shading, period. I'm an artist of over 20 years and can re-shade the thing in 20 seconds, if you guys communicated this from my perspective non-existent shading issue I could correct it in seconds, I was never told anything about shading, so to me, from this perspective it sounds like a fake excuse, because I can remove the shading and it would have never been a problem, I don't care about the shading, only the shape, I didn't want a cartoony shape. That being said
    I do appreciate the hard work of the volunteers of the College of Arms, who put in time for free, I've been part of similar volunteer projects and can understand why there is some chaos in the mix, it's hard keeping a team motivated when it's all on a volunteer basis and I do appreciate the hard work.

But a conversation between you guys and me involving shading never took place. I'm happy to change the shading, and being an artist of over 20 years I can change it in 20 seconds.

14. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

My take on that is what Frank previously explained. I want to reiterate on Frank's behalf that he has resigned from the College and is no longer part of the decisions our sovereigns are making. :p But the shading rule originally started with what we thought would be a technical limitation and has since become irrelevant. However, that original limitation was around for so long that the shading bit just became sort of ingrained into us, and besides that, people's panties get all jimmied when we expand the rules to allow things that weren't previously allowed. (Why? We don't know. We chalk it up to the strangeness of the human world.) It stinks that we can't just lay out a set of rules and stick to that, but because we aren't Portalarium and because we have no control over what Portalarium can or will do to get people's coats of arms into the game, we rely on communication from Portalarium employees to form the baselines for our own rule systems. It was fairly recently that we learned that there is no practical limit on how many charges we can accept and that the system can handle basically anything we throw at it, and we just haven't had time yet to adapt. You know how that goes when a volunteer organization is dependent upon a business that doesn't exactly specialize in communication. :p

We know our best isn't spectacular because honestly we're building the equipment we need to do this job as we go. But we still overall think that what the College does is fantastic for the community, even if it does have its hiccups at times. For some of our members, when all we really hear is the partially-informed criticisms of people who are unhappy with things, it can be hard to remember that the real reason we're here is to help the community. We're only human. :) But at the end of the day, we are here to help.

15. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

[​IMG]
    The non-existent shading issue....
    So now everyone's gonna say, "Oh you're too late to submit", but I didn't submit today, I submitted and was approved because I'm a royal founder and saw the custom personalized reward,
    saved up for it, pledged long long long before the cutoff point, started a thread, it was approved, read that thread.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...shed-my-coat-of-arms-how-do-i-submit-it.9157/

Not a single poster in that thread said anything about shading. Yet I ask a question
    and a brand new shading issue comes up a shading issue which from what I can tell is as brand new as August 11th 2014.

Here's the SVG, not that it matters because it'll magically be rejected, thanks. I also volunteered to be a member of the College of Arms but was told you don't need anyone, which is fine, but it looks like you do need someone, you lost that guy that maintained that "old" database the database in which I was included, proving I was approved a long while back by Sir Frank, and I believe Frank was even kind enough to write a description for my arms which I am thankful for and really appreciate.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hadmd7ldn5av0m6/crest_razimus2.svg
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/aw7i6u44pdvztcc/crest_razimus2.png

Trenyc likes this.
  16. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well glad I read some of this, was wondering what happened to my arms. Hopefully they can recover all the missing stuff.

Ator! likes this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

None of it is missing, just moved. :)

18. Bajan Grace

Bajan Grace Avatar

Nobody said anything about approval or shading in the previous thread because they weren't part of the process at that time. Like everything else on this planet, things change, mainly the information we receive from Portalarium.
    As has been said several times before, we were under the impression that we would have several limitations, and as such we constructed rules and guidelines that would help stay within those limitations (we were not aware of these limitations at the time of your original thread).
    Since then the limitations have been relaxed a bit. However many of the college members are dealing with major life issues, and we haven't had a chance to talk about these new changes.
    I hope that answers both your approval question and shading question, as they were both not part of our lexicon at the time.

In terms of joining the college, professionally it seems like you were and are a good fit. I can't speak for the reason at the time because I was not there at the time. But at that time we had more members, less of a load to take on, and the tranquility of knowing someone was taking care of the technical back-end, which was swiped out under out feet ( luckily Sir Grant jumped in to save us ). And it seems to me that you were clashing with the members trying to help. I wasn't there and I haven't had a chance to inquire about the story, but if you did inquire and showed interest, those are two things that I could observe as an outside observer and gather just from your thread.

Regardless of that, we would love to see you in the IRC channel( join #CollegeofArms from the Sota channel), and hear more from you and get to know you better, it's quite likely we all got off on the wrong foot.
    I've always believed, the more the merrier. :)

Lord Beli, Dame Lori and Sir Frank like this.
  19. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Ok Razimus, we clarified the shading issue and brought your arms up again at today's meeting. Our sovereigns decided that your new design is okiedokie now that we don't have the same limitations on shading. Your blazon will read like:

Sable, a skull argent, a crossbones argent, and an hourglass argent in pale

Thanks for revising the shading for us. :) All is good now for you sir!

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

A DB that can manage itself like letting users modify their own COA and save them will get you some ROI in the long run because that team of people handling complaint emails can be focused elsewhere..

In a project such as this with limited hands...

Can you feel me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.