Social / Chat Channels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ultima Codex, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Hi everyone,

While this has been a Discord thread, I've spoken with Berek about expanding it to accomodate the social networks. Please join these!

I've also been experimenting with Discord for both Spam Spam Spam Humbug and the Ultima Dragons, and it occurred to me that it might be prudent and interesting to set up a Shroud of the Avatar Discord server as well.

Discord invite link: https://discord.gg/shroudoftheavatar
    Discord is, in a number of respects, quite similar to Slack, but it's specifically targeted at gamers. Its main feature, apart from in-game text and voice chat, is its low impact on system resources.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2018
  2. Maka

Maka Avatar

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The day has come!

Maka, Moiseyev Trueden and Spoon like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I'll join whatever servers/channels if it's gonna migrate people away from IRC.. I meant I paid $20 for MIRC as soon as I got paid from part time job back in the day, but we're in 2016 now.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    3devious, Quenton, DepGames and 2 others like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Not a huge fan of Discord as it's quite buggy and interferes with other voice services. It's a great concept though and I hope that it survives to maturity.

Gamevox is many times better in terms of voice quality, voice features and customizations. But it's not really great for chatting.

If gamevox and discord had a baby, most guilds could just quit everything else.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  6. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

What would be great is if there was a method for these services to access the current spatial coordinates in-game. It would allow you to whisper to someone or talk aloud and anyone in a certain radius could hear.

Global chat would be awful this way, though. Listening to everyone talk would be difficult to follow. Maybe you have private channels for that sort of thing.

Talk about immersion.

Tahru likes this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

How strongly does the community feel about the IRC chat room being used for our hangouts, as opposed to having Discord?

margaritte and Net like this.
  8. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

A poll might be a good option to collect data. I personally was originally opposed but after using it for a week I honestly think it would be a lot better. After being stuck in a 1996 interface for so long Discord has some really nice features that irc doesn't offer. You could always offer irc as a second option and have Discord there for the main chat and irc for the disgruntled few. If the same people can't host the irc it's not hard to get a free channel on freenode or many other irc networks to free up costs while moving the main chat and website to Discord.

Astor Cerberus, margaritte and Berek like this.
  9. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

need to make this a poll post, are you asking about having discord opposed to this 1995 chat room, the forums may have more players than the game.

Black Death and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  10. Net

Net Avatar

I like irc, but I am not very social so do not mind me:) Poll is really your best bet to justify any final decision.

11. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Do I need software? Does it need to be configured? Do I have to register another account? Is it web accessible?
    I only occasionally glance at IRC because it is there and it is convenient. Sometimes I post a hangout question, sometimes just watch the the convo, but for the most part signal/noise is too low.

If Discord signal/noise were higher I'd consider the bother of installation. If signal/noise were the same I'd forgo it.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

No installation needed, but you can install one if you prefer. There is a HTML version, which is what I'm assuming they would embed into the webpage.

When you try to connect, it does have you create an account but it is extremely quick. I'm assuming this should be the email address of your SotA account, for accountability. Not much is different there compared to IRC, except a cleaner interface, easier scrolling, remembering where you left off in conversation, and ability to do multimedia (like dropping images into the conversation). Plus it has integrated voice chat, as well as text. Its quite handy.

Eventually, the API will be available, and this might even make it easy to implement in-game communication as well.

13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

A drop in replacement? A 21st century interface? I say go for it.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Can they both be accessed via the website? I don't really care either way - but I tend to watch hangouts from work and the IRC chat room is handy in that I don't need to download anything.

Astor Cerberus likes this.
  15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

That would be the ideal resolution, that we would have it embedded in the website, just like IRC chat is now.

I have to find out how Wordpress can accommodate a Discord embedded chat channel... anyone willing to help me find some documentation on that please?

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  16. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I found this Wordpress Discord Widgt Link

17. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

IRC...register, lock, set parameters, find a decent client from THIS century, use archaic command sets, deal with servers that haven't been updated since dinosaurs roamed the earth...

The only reason to continue using IRC is if you still need to upgrade your computer from Windows 95 to Windows 98.

And voice...Discord has rock-solid stability even when using voice.

18. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Why? You can run it in a browser.

Also...Just in case you've been in a coma for the last decade: Browsers have multiple tabs now.

Quenton likes this.
  19. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Voice is lovely, but not during a hangout, can you imagine 100+ people talking in your ear? Yikes.

Net likes this.
  20. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Then you use a chat channel. They coexist quite nicely in Discord. Also, you can mute the channel and only jet certain people talk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.