Social / Chat Channels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ultima Codex, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Bad news the embedding for Discord was disabled unless there is a more secure way to do it. I imagine that Portalarium could work with the Discord devs on this they seem pretty responsive very quick replies on twitter.

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/733398565259616256

2. smack

smack Avatar

Prefer IRC until there's feature parity. Discord is neat but it lacks even basic stuff like an actually usable search feature and exporting chat logs.

Actually, would prefer you guys used the Google Hangouts Q&A app for question voting ability and timestamping when answering. No need to ever spam your question 100 times because it won't get missed in the chat spam.

agra, Ristra, Sir Frank and 3 others like this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Google Hangouts Q&A app? oh? I haven't heard of this feature for Hangouts yet. Can you PM me a link please?

4. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I actually suggested this quite a while back if it's used it needs to be clear it's being used and how people are able to submit questions to it. I definitely feel like it would be very useful to keep questions organized. Here is some information on it https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2660854?hl=en

smack likes this.
  5. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Who cares? You can run it in a browser tab. There is no need to embed it. What would be the point in that? To have the SotA website chrome wrapped around a chat window?

Quenton likes this.
  6. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Parity???

Discord has 10x the features IRC can barely dream of.

As for search and logging. Not sure why you would want to log since Discord keeps the chat forever, even the chat that occurred between the time you logged off and logged back on, regardless of how long that is. You can copy the entire chat history and save it, however.

I wouldn't even have to worry about being able to attend a hangout. I could just log in the next day and read the chat in my spare time.

And the bot features for server owners are the best I've seen. Functionality Skype, Teamspeak, and Ventrilo can't even dream of, let alone IRC.

Discord isn't for chat, it's for everything a community needs. I'm stunned we're not using it heavily already. We need to get with the program!!!

The SotA community's answer to online communication:

[​IMG]

It's a sad state of affairs...

7. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I personally do not care but it's something they wanted to do since that's how the current chat functions but honestly just having a link to the discord page really isn't that hard.

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Agreed, the primary benefit of a persistent chat room is so you can go back and review or search on previous messages. But spamming the Home / PgUp key endlessly to do that searching kind of defeats that benefit. Go ahead and try searching for messages from last week and see how fun that is.

You don't need to sell me on their other features. As I said, it's neat. But there are some use cases that are important to me that I think it fails miserably at, and that the current IRC works just fine as is in those cases.

Net and Quenton like this.
  9. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I'm all about Discord after being converted from IRC, but we need to keep it objective. Discord has its limits as well.
    • There isn't any logging - and that can be a big deal.
    • There's no find functionality, yet. That's coming.
    • Nickname support only sort of works. Changing from your username to an alternative still shows the username on mobile, and the two-way bot that was set up today still shows the username on IRC. Private/direct messaging shows your username, not your nickname.
    • Compact appearance isn't as easy on the eyes as IRC's super-compact appearance. For some people that's a big deal, especially in a very active room.
    They're the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The advantages of Discord over IRC are pretty obvious if you've used it.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and smack like this.
  10. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Quenton likes this.
  11. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Well, you CAN by clicking in the chat window, hitting ctrl-A, and saving to a file.

However, I can see why they didn't add it because the chat history all the way back to the time you joined is available to you, just by scrolling back.

Someone did put in a feature request to allow the server owner to set how far back chat is kept and I would expect that if they did that, logging would not be far behind.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not going to be in a voice chat with that many people during a Dev chat. *cringe*

Lained likes this.
  14. Sway

Sway Avatar

i would be happy if the chat window stayed active once i sent a chat. instead of me have to click it again before each time i spoke

15. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

16. blaidd36

blaidd36 Avatar

what happened to discord

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

one thing I like about the forums over discord is I can do a google search and find posts. With discord discussions I have no Idea if you can search for them on the internet or not. The forums help with many people that do not check in much.

18. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

I don' suppose there's an in-game /global channel we can opt into? I'd rather not use any 3rd-party comms, since by definition they fragment the playerbase so drastically.

I'd love to lurk in a /global and ask an occasional question or two in it.

SabeSr, Tiki Pirate and mirromaru like this.
  19. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Not that I know of, even a regional chat would be nice. It could even help with lore. i.e "Now entering Longfall regional chat zone"... I think this in addition to global would be good.

If they overlap or not would be a whole other can of worms. I think separate would be best, as a person in regional chat might only get 1/2 the conversation of someone in global chat.

20. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Personally I don't like the concept that anyone can log into the chat regardless if they play the game or are even currently playing. If I wanted a social media chat room to hang out in it wouldn't be related to a game... I'd prefer to see a strictly "logged into game" only chat system.

Bluefire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.