Social / Chat Channels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ultima Codex, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Regional/local/zone chats would need to be manually changed every time I move from one to another in game... no offense dev's but what kind of online game doesn't handle its own in game chat system? are you attempting to avoid legal costs and issues and the need to moderate the chat system?

I understand people running their own servers with the game, let them moderate their own server... but when the game has a multiplayer server it should come with its own chat system and accountability.

To not do so would say that even I could run the chat system and hold people to my personal "opinion" on what should be moderated and how. Frankly that holds little accountability. It can also lead to competition against who has the largest or best chat system and segregates us.

What if I dispute reasons for my being muted banned... I have no recourse via the game and thus I'm shut out of Sota chat system based on some personal players opinion or dislike of me (or me them if I ran it)

What happens when liberals run the chat system, they are innately against free speech that doesn't agree with their views, its very easy for people to mute and ban other players just because they want to shut them up, happens in college in the US all the time... Now I'm not saying that political views should be talked about on a gaming chat its a side point... he who controls the mic decides who gets to talk even when it's only about mundane gaming, I could easily get muted when I say what I think is good or bad about the game in chat and the mod doesn't agree with me or like me personally.

What happens when people get into clicks... some use teamspeak some irc some go to discord... its a serious hindrance to the social aspect of the game, killing the community before it ever gets a chance to gather in one spot (just think of the real world and how large strong communities got started in first place)

I'm simply saying I'd prefer one system run by the game Dev's who can be held accountable. People who pay cash to play a game have certain expectations, how many will be discouraged from continuing to play once they realize the game has a poorly organized central chat system. Integrated with the game is essential. I don't need to be jumping in and out of game to click chat windows (I run full screen not windowed mode)

Dev's choose a chat system, implement it, integrate it, moderate it. I don't care if its teamspeak irc or discord... pick one and run with it... but we need game developers moderation and control not some "really cool well liked long time player subject to their own whims of fancy about who gets access and who doesn't" What happens when they die in a bus crash or jump from an airplane without a parachute or just stop playing because their wife/husband canceled their gaming time.

To walk down this road of 3rd party chat system for the multiplayer online world... is a recipe for failure and will be one major issue for people criticizing game in the gaming reviews which will result in huge revenue loss. But hey... what the hell do I know I'm just some moron who's been drinking... non of this makes any sense. You all know exactly what you're doing... you're the "experts"

Tiki Pirate likes this.
  2. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

@Berek I prefer Discord.
    Might be worth setting a poll to see what people prefer.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Discord link is updated!

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  4. Tibs

Tibs Avatar

Discord doesn't know me as Tibs.

5. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Can we get the Google+ community also added to those list?

6. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I preferred when the IRC room was used, was great just go to the web page and use that.
    I have too many accounts open already and frankly I drew the line at discord, never going to install it, and since you have to be signed into discord to win prizes I just stopped attending events.

Ravicus Domdred and Alley Oop like this.
  7. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

idk... maybe move the updated to the first sticky link? It was hard for me to find embedded

THE HENDOMAN

8. Berek

We're using Discord, though you are free to still use IRC at times if you wish. For official communications though, please use Discord. There's no good reason not to use it.

Pikegirl and Link_of_Hyrule like this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

+1000.

add to that the lack of a linux client and the fact that the website requires flash.

Matt Harris likes this.
  10. Berek

There is both the website and app versions. Also as a bonus, we tied Discord into IRC, so you can use either and still see the same messages.

11. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

The website doesn't require flash I have flash completely turned off on Chrome and it works fine. It uses a web technology called WebRTC to do everything. Also, there actually is an experimental Linux Client for Discord.

Solazur and Katrina Bekers like this.
  12. Death Avenger

Death Avenger Avatar

The current discord link is not active/working. Please update once again.

Acred likes this.
  13. Berek

Argh, sorry about that. We updated it, should be permanent now!

https://discord.gg/BQ6b9RY

Pikegirl, Matt Harris and Acred like this.
  14. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

The thing i like about Discord is you can create channels for specific groups and such. Great for guild chat/communication. I just wish there was a way inworld that you can leave messages to folks that arent online. The guild I am in is small...3 people at the moment and our play times are varied so we often dont see each other.....there in there is no way to leave messages to them if there is a problem or such. Would be nice to have a system in place where we can communicate with offline messages. Once i get our guildmaster on our group in Discord it wont be a problem....but there is often times one might need to relay or send a message to someone who doesnt use Discord or log onto the forums.

Travitar likes this.
  15. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Ditto. I believe I can still follow the chat in IRC but do not use Discord.

16. Sparrowhawk Silvarian

Sparrowhawk Silvarian Avatar

I'd support an Alliance Channel.
    This would allow more folks to form guilds if they want too and still maintain contact with their former guildies.
    Also, it would allow guilds to have both an 'Army' side and a 'Civilian' side to their guilds and all still be able to communicate.

Moiseyev Trueden and StevieD like this.
  17. Berek

Solazur likes this.
  18. ludiusvox

ludiusvox Avatar

Yea I would really like a radio station in game chat channel, it helps a lot.

19. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Is the option still working to access a discord channel from in game? Kind of a pain as you have to log in every time IIRC.. but at least a somewhat workable solution.

20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Solazur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.