Soft Wipe for Episode #2 ? ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

A few pages back there is a link to chris’s Idea it’s no joke.

Hehe I don’t get accused of being a white knight much I try to share my honest opinion. it is funny though there is some that would cheer any ideas regardless of sense. And to be fair there is some who hates every idea.

Originally it required a new toon, I’m not sure the current plan though.eps 1 and eps 2 chars could not min

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    K1000 likes this.
  2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It's an idea that's likely to never see the light of day (the soft wipe).

King Robert likes this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s no official announcement yet, just continued wild speculation. Carry on.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

There is yesterday’s video that spells out the plan very well, go a few pages back.

Lord Trady of Blix and CICI like this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

He stated what they are going to do is settled and agreed upon and is now fact?

Lord Trady of Blix and Mishikal like this.
  6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Not even close. :) He said it was highly unlikely, and listed a whole ton of things they might do, and made it clear they have no set plan at all as to what path to take. This whole thread is a waste of space.

Lord Trady of Blix and Jaesun like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Easy bud- we are all friends here no but that’s the only plan that has been brought up from Portalarium several times now I’d love to see what else they are cooking up.

No either way they fall there is excellent info here for Portalarium to listen to or ignore that’s their choice.

There is no need to become inflamtory we are all just sharing our thoughts here. (In general that’s not targeting you specifically)

Maybe @Weins201 is right they should close this thread @DarkStarr people seam to be getting worked up.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Stating something as a fact when it isn’t is what I have an issue with.

I have no issue at all with people sharing ideas, thoughts and their feelings.

Sentinel2 and Mishikal like this.
  9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’m not sure exactly what your talking about my friend but it is a fact Atos aka Chris Spears talked in great detail about this yesterday on his livestream.

@Jaesun

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  10. Sway

Sway Avatar

I would like to point out (after thinking about this a long time) that scaling will not work and I believe will be unacceptable.
    scaling means (as i'm interpreting) raising/lowering the zone to match the player entering. or raising/lowering the player to match the zone. now this can happen in a few different ways.
    one problem
    I'm a mage, as a mage it takes me way more exp to build an adequate character to match any fighter. so my "levels" used to scale are higher then any fighter, swords, polearms, mace and archer. that added to the fact that most higher end content (mostly bosses or mini bosses) are "magic resistant" or the Envy angle that is magic Immune (I fully expect the next seasonal boss to be physical immune, for balance purposes) scaling will simply never be fare to mages … ever ..

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

there is lot of high end contet that's immune to magic. The problem goes beyond scaling and needs a real fix, as far as I know thre is no immunity to physical attacks as well as some attacks that ignore armor all together.

Sway and FrostII like this.
  12. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Scaling doesn't have to be a zone. In WoW each individual mob scales to each individual player. If I'm a level 60 character and in partied with a level 15 character in a zone that scales 1-60, then I hit that mob as if it were a level 60 one like me and my party member hits it as if it were a level 15 mob like him / her. It works well, encourages playing with new players, makes the world seem more populated since everyone is in the same zone, etc..

Sentinel2 and Mishikal like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Huh. Sexy solution.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I actually played an indy game that did this, and it sorta worked? Except if a higher level player went and got initial aggro on the mob and then the lower level player, due to healing or aoes or whatever, ended up making it angry, it would go pear-shaped very quickly. I seem to remember this being a recurring problem when going "out" with veteran players, and it was cheeseballable as well, "let the newbie engage it first" and then they'd one-shot it for the loot, or, let them engage it first so its higher level and gives a ton of XP, creates powerlevelling scenario. I see a lot of abuse potential there if not done carefully.

Scaling like ESO's "One Tamriel" thing works well with their skill development system, but I fear would not work well for ours at all because of how our skill/deck system is designed. And it has problems: you actually get weaker as you level up - you can go into a scene and be doing fine, and you level up a couple of times and suddenly you're getting stomped, bad. If a scene's too hard for you, "levelling up" and coming back is actually going to put you in a worse position unless you upgrade your gear significantly as well. But our gear doesn't scale up by level here either, so that's not really a viable option.

I really don't want to see Sota become a "gear score optimization" exercise where everyone is forced into pigeonhole optimized cookie-cutter builds in order to combat "zone scaling." I like that I can play a character with a non- optimized build and, even tho it takes longer or costs more XP to make it viable, allows for customization and variety. If we start scaling that whole dynamic will change.

Sole and Brass Knuckles like this.
  15. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

That doesn't happen with Wow scaling. To the level 15 the mob is level 15, to the level 60 the mob is level 60. There's no way for the 60 to engage the mob as a level 15 mob. What ever % of the health pool you do in damage is applied so that both would be fighting the same mob at a similar rate.

And SoTA already is a gear optimising game in its current state. Basically the same as gear level, just with specific craft, masterwork, enchant paths. Very similar to Wows old get gear reforge, enchant, socket.

16. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

so in effect they made leveling up your character meaningless?

17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Wow, I've got deja vu all over again... https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ipe-for-episode-2.152445/page-20#post-1217664

;)

18. Sway

Sway Avatar

It doesn't matter if it's the zone or the mob. My point is mages already ends up being at a higher level then a fighter to kill the same higher level things. Scaling will make being a mage pointless.

Brass Knuckles and kaeshiva like this.
  19. Sway

Sway Avatar

I would much rather take that soft wipe and start at level 1 in new lands, over scaling. At least i can grind my way out of that mess. Scaling will make playing pointless. Better off build an alt, find that sweet spot (level) where you have the best chance to win. Grind till you level out of said sweet spot. Delete character. Make new one, and repeat. Get drop you wanted leave zone and dont bother to return.

Mishikal and kaeshiva like this.
  20. Silverti

Silverti Avatar

Not really, Im back in WoW right now since BFA and what it basically feels like is that you are completely and utterly grinding the exact same mob over and over and over. Like... ok... every mob takes exactly 3 skills repeatative to kill.... next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.