Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Solace Bridge Outskirts: Maybe clearer description of key opening door?

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Mar 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I'm feeling super-stupid right now.

After resetting my quests I went to Solace Bridge Outskirts, and went looking for the painting stolen by the bandits. I found the bandits' hut, but couldn't open the door. The message in the chat window was:

[3/31/2018 9:12:23 AM] This door is locked! You will need to find a key to open it. Use the key on the nearby lock to unlock this door.

I wasn't aware that I had a key, so I went looking for it.

Here's where the stupid (me) part comes in. I wandered around looking for a nearby lock that would have the key on top of it. I thought it would be strange for a key to be lying on top of a lock, and I had no idea what such a lock would look like (a padlock?), but I spent a long time looking under every bush and in every house in the outskirts.

I finally returned to the hut and clicked on the keyhole and voilà! the door was unlocked. It turns out that the key (4 of them in fact) was already in my inventory, but it was called "Outskirts Fence Key", so it never occurred to me that it would be the key to the door of a hut.

[3/31/2018 9:11:21 AM] You looted an item (Outskirts Fence Key x1).

OK, I said I felt stupid, and now it seems obvious what was meant, but in my defense I think it is odd to call the lock on a door "nearby" when it is on the door. Maybe there is at least one other player in the world who is equally challenged. Therefore I suggest that the instructions be changed to

Use the Outskirts Fence Key on the keyhole to unlock this door.

:confused:

Beaumaris and Rentier like this.
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I will say this, the animation of the key opening the lock uses such a tiny and thin key that it can be hard to even see that something is happening. And you can't use the door until after that barely-visible animation finishes.

Beaumaris likes this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Wow, so that’s what that key in my bag is for! Thank you!

I thought I never found the right key either....

Kara Brae likes this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Well, if you talk to the bandit-looking character (who is the only one that doesn't attack on sight), near this hut, you find out that he is a fence for stolen goods. Considering he walks around the outside of this hut, it may become clear that the outskirts fence lives there, and the
    you find on him if you kill him. Not the only way to get the key, by the way...
    would be used to open that lock.

I agree that the wording of that hint for the lock is a bit clunky and needs to be re-worked. Perhaps simply shortening it to "This door is locked! You will need to find a key to open it." would suffice?

GreeneD.OG and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.