Solace Bridge Outskirts - The Complete Quest Guide

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Anpu, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This guide will detail the exact steps in order to fully complete all the quests within the Solace Bridge Outskirts. You are free however to do any of these tasks in any order you wish. I am just providing one compact efficient way (in my opinion) to do all of these.

This isn't something that actually needed to be done, however, many new players may be unfamiliar on how some very basic things in Shroud of the Avatar work. Like having to type in the word help for NPC's that will only give them a quest if they type that. And various other things.

This guide will be in 3 parts, and will be organize in the most (in my opinion) efficient way.

Part one - The Camp
    After finishing the tutorial Battle of Solace Bridge, you will arrive at Solace Bridge Outskirts. You will see a guard that is already named in front of you (Private Garridon). Speak to them and they will give you the Meet Captain Kinsey task. This task will be listed at the left of your screen. You can hover your mouse over the task to see a simple description of the task, or double click the task to read the specific journal entry.

As you meet various NPC in the game, you can tell each and every one of them your name. Most of them will remember the name you have given them and will then on call you by that name.

If you wish to be a virtuous Avatar, tell players your name truthfully. If you wish to be less virtuous, give them a false name. To tell NPC's your name, click on the dialogue box and type:

My name is YOUREXACTNAMEHERE

For example, I am playing a character whose first name is John and last name is Smith and I want to be virtuous. I would type:

My name is John Smith

If you have a character with only a first name, just type your first name. Just make sure it IS spelled correctly. Or say whatever name you want, if you want to be less virtuous.

Example: My character name is Xena. I would type:

My name is Xena

TIP: Once you have typed your name in the dialogue window and told a player your name, when speaking to other NPC's you want to give your name to, click on the dialogue window and press the Arrow UP key on your keyboard. This will remember the last thing you typed. If you have a rather complicated name, this will help you to not have to type it in each and every time.

At the top of your screen is your compass. You will then see a blue quest marker. Move your mouse over the blue marker. Note that the marker also says for what task this blue maker is for. For now, you only have one. Follow that and that will lead you to Captain Kinsey.

Speak to Captain Kinsey. Then click on the help keyword (note not all NPC's have a help keyword). She will then give you a random task to talk to one of the other NPC's near by. We will go and collect the first step of a set of these. Also be sure to tell her your name, if you wish.

Next speak to the Adventuring Trainer, they will give you their name Lieutenant Tilton. Speak to them often to train your skills up.

Speak to the Crafting Supplies Merchant, they will also give you their name.

Speak to the crafting trainer (Lieuteneat Corliss). Click the help keyword. Click the Preston keyword. Click the I'll help him calm down keyword. You will receive the Tell Preston to Calm Down task.

Speak to the Noble Lord (Lord Langston). They will immediately ask you for your name. Your name is listed at the very bottom of the keyword list click that. Or type in any other name in the dialogue window to give them a different name (you don't have to type in the My name is part. Just your name). Click the help and then painting keyword. This will give you the Recover Lilliana's Painting quest. Feel free to ask about any of the other keywords to learn more about this if you wish.

Speak to the Soldier near the tent with hanging fish (Sergent Sedgewick). Click help to get his Give 4 maple wood to Sedgewick task.

Speak to the last remaining Soldier (Corporal Heloise). Click help. Click heirloom. Get Recover heirlooms for Heloise task.

You should now have the following tasks in your task bar:
    Recover heirlooms for Heloise
    Give 4 maple wood to Sedgewick
    Recover Lilliana's Painting
    Tell Preston to Calm Down

Give 4 maple wood to Sedgewick

Around the immediate area, there are several Maple Wood trees, they look like this (and you can hover your mouse over them to see they are harvest-able, by the Axe icon displayed). Stand close to one, and double click on it. Keep chopping the trees around the area until you have 4 Maple Wood.

[​IMG]

When you have collected 4 Maple Wood return back to Sergent Sedgewick. He will immediately open a window. Click the 4 Maple Wood and click and drag it over to the Items To Give section. If you happen to have MORE than 4 Maple wood, click and hold down the left CTRL button, and click on the Maple wood, and drag one at a time (until you have 4 maple wood in the To Give section).

The Give Items button will now be green. Click Give items. Click the help keyword. He will give you the Give 5 Iron Ore to Sedgewick task.

Give 5 Iron Ore to Sedgewick
    Also near by are various Iron Ore nodes you can gather Iron Ore from. They look like this (again you can hover mouse over the resource node and then see the Mining icon displayed over it).

[​IMG]

Collect 5 of them from the area (also see below).

Tell Preston to Calm Down
    While going around the area collecting the 5 ore you need for Sedgewick, look at your compass at the top. Find the blue marker that has Tell Preston to Calm Down. Follow that marker to Preston and speak to him. Click the Want to Talk? keyword. This will complete the Tell Preston to Calm Down task.

After finding 5 Iron Ore return to Sedgewick return to him. He will again immediately open a window to give him the 5 Iron Ore. Give him the 5 Iron Ore. Click the Help keyword. He will give you the Give 6 Feathers to Sedgewick Task.

Near Captain Kinsey is a Blacksmith (Bancroft). Speak to him. This is the person you will want to sell all your loot you grab from various creatures in the area, Click the Buy/Sell button and click on the Sell from Inventory tab. Sell all weapons and armor that creatures drop to him this way.

We are now done with everything for now in the camp.

Part Two - The Other Side
    To the North East you will see a bridge. Go across that bridge and we are going to do the other quest in this area. While running around in here, be sure to continue to fight all the Bandits and other creatures to advance your skills. Of note, you do want to be sure and kill Bandits, so that you can find the Solace Bridge Outskirts Heirloom quest item.

Head to the Swamp area

[​IMG]

Keep killing all the Bandits around here until you find the
    Solace Bridge Outskirts Heirloom. Of note, quest items are shown as Yellow item in your inventory and have NO weight. Also for this specific item, you can only find one of these at a time.

Head to the Bandit Shack that is near by

[​IMG]

Note you will see an NPC named Outskirts Fence. This is a Neutral NPC (these people will not attack you on sight, but will attack back if attacked). When you hover your mouse over him you will note the pointer does not turn blue like other NPC's. Make sure you are out of combat mode (Press z) and speak to him. Speak to him about any information you might want to know. Also if you are an Avatar that is wanting lower virtue,give him the heirloom you found. Otherwise hold onto it.

Near by is a Grave Marker (hover mouse over the Grave Maker to read the test on it). A vase (that says pay your respect). Feel free to clikc on that and do that if you wish. and a Loose Stone. click on the Loose Stone. You will receive the Outskirts Fence Key. Go to the cabin and head to the door there.** (See the Bugs Section below). A flashing blue section of the door will be glowing. double click on that to unlock the door, then open the door. Locked doors and chests in the game are opened FIRST by using a key on the lock first (to unlock them) then click on the door or chest to open them. You will see a paining leaning on the wall on the floor. Double click the paining. You will now have the quest Give Paining to Proper Owner.

Give Paining to Proper Owner
    You now can give the painting to either Hartley or Lord Langston. Give the painting to whoever you feel should have the paining. Click on the painting keyword when speaking to Hartley to give him the painting.

Learn Fate of Private Quentin
    Near by at this location

[​IMG]

Is a Scout (Corporal Rhoswen). Speak to her and receive the Learn Fate of Private Quentin task.

Head to this location, where you will see pools of blood and will receive a notification. Follow the blood splatter to find a corpse. Go out of combat mode (Press z)

[​IMG]

Click on the corpse to find the Quentin's Final Report quest item. We will finish this later.

Continue to follow the road to the Farm near by. You will see an NPC named Farmer here. Speak to him (Filmore). Click help. Click alpha. Click Betty. Click cotton. You will now have Deliver 6 Pieces of Raw Cotton, In Memorandum of Betty The Chicken and Kill the Alpha Wolf tasks. Click the keyword feather. Click yes. He will give you feathers for Give 6 Feathers to Sedgewick.

Deliver 6 Pieces of Raw Cotton
    Near by on the farm are many cotton plants. Collect 6 Raw Cotton. Return back to Filmore and speak to him. Find the cotton keyword and then a window will open. Note he now only asks for 4 cotton. Hold the left CTRL button down and click and drag 4 Raw Cotton to the Items To Give section. Click Give Items.

Kill the Alpha Wolf
    In your compass at the top of your screen, there will be a blue marker marked Kill the Alpha Wolf. Go to that location. You will see several Beta Wolves. Kill them all and the Alpha Wolf will spawn in. Kill the Alpha Wolf and then skin it to find the Alpha Wolf's Head from Solace Bridge, Betty's Collar quest item. Return back to Filmore and speak to him. Click the alpha keyword. This will bring up a window and then give him the Alpha Wolf's Head from Solace Bridge. Click the Betty keyword. A window will open and give him the Betty's Collar.

Learn Fate of Private Quentin

Return back to either Corporal Rhoswen or Captain Kinsey, and turn in the Quentin's Final Report to one of them. To give the report to Corporal Rhoswen, just speak to her and a window will immediately open up.

Give 6 Feathers to Sedgewick
    Go back to the camp and go to Sergent Sedgewick and speak to him. He will immediately ask for the Bundle of 6 Feathers. Give those to him. Click make arrows and get some items from him.

Recover heirlooms for Heloise
    Return back to Heloise. Click the heirloom keyword. Give her the Solace Bridge Outskirts Heirloom.

Part Three - The Ebon Dawn

Go to Captain Kinsey and click help. And then medicine. You will get the Ask Alchemist for Medicine task. Note: This is is only way to obtain this quest. I have been unable to receive this quest any other way.

Near Heloise are a group of three children. Speak to any of them. Type in the word help. (You must type in the word help to get this quest). You will get the Get Ballad of Bloody Bones task.

Head down to the road of where you first met Private Garridon and go into the water and head West.

At this location you will find some Sturdy Roots.

[​IMG]

Double click them to go up. And find a Sturdy Vine and climb up more (double click them).

As you go through this area, kill Ebon Cultists, as one of them will eventually drop the Ballad of Bloody Bones book.

Go to this location and head upstairs. Speak to the Forgetful Ghost found here.

[​IMG]

Type in the word help. (You must type in the word help to get this quest). You will get the Talk to First Memory of Three task.

On your compass at the top, look for the blue Ghostly Child Memory blue marker. Head toward that direction. You will come upon a house with only once entrance. You will also notice several Ebon Dawn Ritual Assistants. Kill all three of them, and then a Ritual Master will appear. Kill them and receive the Tell Kinsey about Ebon Dawn Ritual Master task. Go inside the building and go upstairs.

Kill the Blood Minion upstairs and then speak to the Ghostly Child Memory. Click the Rochelle keyword. Click the help keyword. You will get the Talk to Second Memory of Three task.

Head to this location

[​IMG]

and note the bloody patches on the ground. Enter the building to the North and go upstairs.

You will see a wounded scout and speak to them. Click the help keyword. You will get the Tell Kinsey of Her Scouts' Fates task.

How head outside and head to the East. Look for the blue Alchemist marker on your compass and go there. Find the Alchemist and speak to them. Click the Medicine keyword. Click the help keyword. Receive the Obtain a Fresh Zombie's Olfactory Gland task.

Go to the graveyard across the street. Find and kill Fresh Zombies until you find a Fresh Zombie's Olfactory Gland. Find the Ghostly Adult Memory blue marker near by, and head towards that. Speak to the Ghostly Adult Memory. Click the You are Major Rochelle Icene keyword. Click help keyword. Receive the Talk to Third Memory of Three task.

Go back to the Alchemist and speak to them. Click the gland keyword. Give him the Fresh Zombie's Olfactory Gland. Click the medicine keyword. You will now get the Deliver Medicine to Kinsey task. Exit the cabin and head West. Head toward the blue Ghostly Wounded Memory Marker.

Enter the building with the Ghostly Wounded Memory and speak to them. Click the Be an inspiration, not a martyr keyword. Click help keyword. Receive the Return Memories to Forgetful Ghost task. Exit the building and return to the Forgetful Ghost.

Speak to the Forgetful Ghost. Click the memories three keyword. Giver them the 3 memories (Rochelle's Memories, Rochelle's Childhood Memories and Rochelle's Wounded Memories).

Go back to the camp.

Go to the group of 3 kids. Speak to any of them. Click the Bloody Bones Songbook keyword. A window pops up, hand them the Ballad of Blood ones.

Speak to Captain Kinsey and she will immediately finish the Tell Kinsey of Her Scouts' Fates task. Click the Ebon Dawn keyword. Click the medicine keyword. Give her the Alchemist Fever Medicine. Click the help keyword. She will give you the Give Report to Stanley task***. Click the banner of love Keyword.

It is at this point that IF you have a new account, and are finishing this for the very first time, and you have never received the one free Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed, you will receive a Player Owned Town Row Lot Deed. You can only get ONE of these per account.

You have now completed all the quests in this scene! ****

Recommenced next step: Go to Blood River. If you have never been there before, it will be called Blood River Massacre. Enter Blood River Massacre and follow all the quests in there. You will then eventually arrive in Blood River Outskirts.

You are however free to go to any area, at any time and do what ever area you wish. I am only just providing one recommendation on what to do next.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bugs:
    ** If someone has already been in the area and unlocked this door, it will already be opened. You can still enter the cabin and get the quest item.
    *** If you are using a quest reset, or a new character on an account, she doesn't actually hand you the report. You will have to click the report keyword to receive it. Issue 65838.
    **** Finishing all available quest in this area, the area is still stated as having Quests Available in the listing on the overland Map.
    Investigate the Undead Mystery task and journal entry can sometimes not clear when finishing the main quest.
    Many of the NPC's in the area will wander far away from the place you can usually find them, due to them approaching other players, and will path quite a distance away. They sometimes are difficult to find.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Updates:
    *Original Post posted as of Release 73 and patch 1096. The exact sequence posted above was done.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My other guides:
    Anpu's Guides to Getting Started - The Outskirts and Beyond

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

thanks for the updated guide! planning to run through this zone again with a new character soon since a lot of things have changed.

Cordelayne and Anpu like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Avatar

@Anpu Mind if I publish this in-game? :p

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Oh feel free to add this in game.

Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Brigade – Bug Hunter

i had no idea there was a set of climbing roots on that side...

6. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I just did this today and there were some differences. First, I didn't see the gravestone anywhere. But the door to the shack was open. I opened it, saw the painting laying on the floor facing the wall. I could pick it up. My journal says I have a painting of a young woman and should return it to the proper owner. I assume that is the same quest quest.

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You were unable to see this gravestone right next to the shack?

[​IMG]

Is there some other information in the guide I could provide to make this clearer?

That's the end of the quest that started with Recover Lilliana's Painting quest that starts with Noble Lord (Lord Langston). You can now press the J key and read the journal entry on who you feel should get this paining (Lord Langston or Hartley). They are part of the same quest. Let me know if you need further help on this?

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I likely just missed that grave. It's against that tree and with my eyesight, I likely just didn't see it. My comment about the painting was that the guide said it was on the wall. I found it on the floor. Small shack so I figured it was the only painting to be had. Just curious I think.

Also, the task from Kinley to talk to Stanley is still in my journal after talking to Stanley and giving him the update.

And for the record, for people like me who don't like puzzles because I'm terrible at them and they frustrate me, these guides are INVALUABLE. I've been playing SotA since day one (actually R2 I think) and I had never completed these outskirt quests. Some of them are familiar so I likely came into them at some point. I did the quest reset when they first said we could. But the guides have helped me complete them. Actually, today I should complete the third one. So thank you so much for doing this.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Anpu likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Depending on how you have the camera set, I can see how you could miss this grave. Personally, I play with the 3rd person view, and I have the view turned way out (As pictured above). Of course people using other setting may not see that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes I should have stated is is on the floor. I clarified that (it is of course the only painting in the entire cabin).

In your comment below this, I see that you are doing a quest reset. As stated in the bug section of this walkthrough, there is a bug that will effect people using a quest re-set. Kinsey never actually hands you the report. I would do the following: Go back to Kinsey. Find the report keyword. She will now actually hand you the report. Now go back to Stanley and actually hand him the report in the quest turn-in window.

I'm so happy I was able to help you with finishing this area! One of my reason for doing this is not every single person playing this game will find these areas "easy". For some people all the quests and directions given with them can be confusing for some players, and for some, they will just easily go through these. Everybody is different.

Elgarion likes this.
  10. Elgarion

Elgarion Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

Excellent! I added the main directory you made for your guides to SotAHelp.org :)

11. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

If you dont get the deed after following the above steps, type the word deed and that should trigger the giving of the deed.