Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Some Easy QoL Combat Changes

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Fikule, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I'm not looking for big sweeping changes for this post, I am just saying, this is probably stuff that can go into the game relatively fast and would provide a better combat experience immediately, call it "pre-polish".

Global Cooldown Indicator & Noise
    Why isn't my ability being used?
    Why hasn't my auto-attack started charging?
    Because there is a global cooldown. But when you use an ability or swing your weapon, there is nothing to show this.

- Add a global cooldown indicator to abilities, the same as the normal cooldown.
    - If I press an ability before it's off cooldown, have it make a small noise (one this isn't annoying if I am spamming the button)

Directional Combat Sounds
    Wah?! Where did that sword clanging noise come from, is someone attack me? Behind me? In.. front?
    Oh, they're over the hill to the east of me.

- Adjust the volume of combat sounds to reflect their distance from you.
    - Use 3D sound for combat noises (You should be able to tell the direction a sound is coming from)

Back Up, Mr Wolf!
    Seriously, I'm trying to kill you, not ride you.
    - This probably isn't a small fix, but these guys just love attacking the space behind me and visually it's very off-putting.

Ability Sounds
    I mentioned cooldown before, but lets plump this out a bit.
    - Cooldown, Not Enough Focus, Already Casting a Spell? Make a little sound to indicate this when I try to use an ability.
    - Did I successfully use an ability? Great, add a sound! I know most abilities will have sounds eventually, but just having something as filler for now would be nice. Bonus points if each tree can have it's own sound.

Auto-Facing
    I swing at you! Just... let me back up and alter direction a bit, this looks weird.
    Seems minor, right? But if I have a target in combat and I am hitting them, it looks better if I am facing them directly.

- Adjust your character rotation to correct small margins of error when attacking targets. If this already exists, it's not quite aggressive enough :)

Slightly more challenging:

Foliage & You... and your Camera
    I'd like to zoom out, but every leaf in the world is looking to block my camera.
    - Allow foliage to gain transparency when it blocks vision to your character.

2. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Frankly this needs to be in for ALL sound... it's 2015 folks. And if it's a client performance issue, make it toggleable?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  3. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

Hah. Yeah. That one threw me a bit. And it's Unity too, 3D sound management is built in.

So, hopefully an easy fix anyway

Chatele and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I do enjoy the way they've handled player music, the way it seems to fade into your ears as you get closer and fade out slightly as you leave. I wish they would add a voice communication protocol that followed that same method, ala Rust. Basically whenever you talk in game (supported by the game) through a mic it lets whoever is near enough hear your conversation. I think that would add a ton to the immersion of the world. (maybe just add a quick way to mute folks who are being obstinate about trolling)

Snikorts and Jivalax Azon like this.
  5. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I would not mind voice chat in parties. Or maybe a way to integrate existing VoIP programs.

I have never seen an in-game VoIP done that well, and I'd hate to risk it :p

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Welcome to 2015... get to press "install windows 10" about 10 times until anything happens, then be unsure anything is happening at all.

Great feedback :)

Now the best would be that windows decide that it must update some secondary component thats worth interrupting my work without allowing me enough time to save it all cause most programs haven't even figured a way to make a good backup and save function that actually works as it should...

Do you think my macbook fares any better ?

[​IMG]

7. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

I especially like the OP's last suggestion; I like to play fully zoomed-out and those leaf canopies are irritating.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Unity isn't working properly... can it ?

[​IMG]

Update on installation status : windows gave some small hope of change when it said preparing for installation, then... nothing. Had to click and download started all over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.