Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Some feedback on Gathering

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by mithra, Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Isn't that what I did in post #35 above?

Anyway, if a Tier does NOT YET have a Tier Skull Totem - then you can still determine what Tier level an area is by looking at your %chance to harvest a given node "type" (like Cotton) in different areas.

Take Cotton as an example.

With my current Foraging skill levels, if I go to a Tier 1 area my %chance to harvest Cotton is 99% (100% if I use a Sickle of Prosperity), if I go to a Tier 5 area than my %chance to harvest Cotton is 36% (62% if I use a Sickle of Prosperity). *** Remember that the quality of the tool you use to harvest with - makes a difference in what your %chance will be for any given node. Tools of Prosperity give highest %chance, Artisan Tools give the next highest, and tools you buy from standard shop vendors give the lowest %chance. ***

Remember - whatever your current levels of Foraging skills are, those also determine your %chance to harvest and how much you can possibly get on any one node.

All the Cotton in Tiers between 1 and 5 will be between those %chances. So you can use YOUR %chance values to see what Tier any given area is.
    There are only 5 of them.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i think if my mining is 50+ %, i shouldnt fail %50+ of the time when mining, instead get something more than one ore 50+ % of the time! just saying the math is messed up!

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

On that last point you are most certainly correct.
    The %chance to succeed math IS messed up.
    If it says I have a 65% chance - and I fail 5 times in a row (which I have) - then they are definitely "mathematically" incorrect regarding my %chance to succeed.
    I just assume that as we get closer to launch, they get closer to giving us a "realistic" number for %chance to succeed... :confused:

Having said that, if your mining is showing a 50% chance, then your mining skills are fairly low and you're probably in an area Tier that you shouldn't bother harvesting in (because of the number of fails and time wasted failing). :eek:
    You would be much better off in a lower Tier so you could succeed and gain more in your harvesting skills for time spent. ;)

Trying to harvest in an area seriously beyond your harvesting skill level is a serious waste of time.

The higher your harvesting skills are (from successful prior harvests) the more your %chance to succeed more and quicker will steadily improve.
    The higher your Meticulous Harvest skill is, the more you get per node...

In regard to those, harvesting is working exactly as intended.

The better you are at something, the more successful you will be at that something........ ;)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Abydos and blaquerogue like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It just seems messed up because if you fail, you get a chance to see it fail again, but once you succeed, you don't get another try to see it succeed again on the same node. Conditional probability really messes with the human brain.

GreyMouser2 and Miracle Dragon like this.
  5. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I noticed this too, and it was 100% related to the level of the scene. Same wolf type in a L2/3 scene has L2 or L3 skinning chances. Just like same cotton trees/iron/copper vary from scene to scene

I know all about probability, so I know you can fail 15 times in a row at 41% ... but that occurs quite frequently when mining for Nickle/Tin. Managed to get to 46% now. Same rates for Graff / Owl's Den

Also ... are there prosperity items still in the game? I've had no luck finding chests in towns/cities in r22/r23. Or are they related to benefactor rewards/online shop ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Prosperity Tool "sets" can be purchased in the Store, under Add-On here. And they never wear out.

Moiseyev Trueden and Snazz like this.
  7. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Thanks!

I love how they have to mark (digital) for everything.

I'm sure someone would eventually sue and say " Where's my fking gargoyle I ordered? Nothing has shown up at the house yet?!?!? "

FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Im glad someone else caught that besides me, fail more than 50% when im at 52% I spent hours mining, the gold is useless for now so why not replace it with iron ore at least!

9. Noric

Noric Avatar

Those prosperity tools are significant and expensive enough to scream pay-to-win....

10. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Yeah…you have with your prosperity tools some percentages more harvesting chances than I have…this has to be pay to win as harvesting is all this game is about. :rolleyes:

@Topic
    Honestly I fear we do not see all variables for harvesting. I personally think the current percentage is just the best possible scenario you could get…but there are deductions we currently do not see. Maybe this value is influenced by your encumbrance, armor (fizzle chance), near/visible enemies, daytime,…or simply failing once is reducing your chances at your next try.
    I cannot think that a "simple" calculation is working that often against mathematical probability. :p:D

11. Noric

Noric Avatar

Unlimited durability with increasing mining chance like 20%(Diminishing returns with higher skill - though I'm not sure how crits factor in with that). Resources aren't everything, but that is a pretty significant advantage. It also mitigates the issues of this thread enough to make leveling the mining up further less insane.

12. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Most 'balanced' cash shops rely on customers selling the items in-game too. So those who farm suet, gems etc can still get them without dropping $100

Saw a Pick and Axe of Prosperity for ~ 20k gold on a vendor. No small chunk of change, but once you get past a certain point of buying skills, reagent stockpile ... investing on better/more gathering would be the next logical step

Moiseyev Trueden and FrostII like this.
  13. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'm curious what price they will land at after we no longer need to worry about losing them in resets. I would have paid the 20k for the pickaxe probably now.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I can give you no link to verify this, but my understanding is that we are supposed to be able to craft tools that are as good as the Prosperity Tools (in terms of %chance to harvest) by the time the game goes live.
    They will need to be repaired, but the %chance will be there.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Noric

Noric Avatar

Are the Artisan ones craftable now?

16. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

The intention is that prosperity tools are actually capped at 1 rank below the highest level of tool upgrade. This allows those who craft tools to eventually make epic level tools that are better than the prosperity tools. I don't remember if artisan tools are upgradable or not (I think they are, but its been awhile since I read the posts on tools).

FrostII likes this.
  17. Noric

Noric Avatar

That sounds a lot better than I expected, though we will have to see how it plays out.

18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

It gives a slight boost to those willing to invest the money very early on, but defeats the pay to win BS as anyone can eventually get better tools. Yes there will be repair costs to the better tools that are crafted, but until they implement item upgrade we won't really know how significant it is. I am curious to see how repairs and repair costs for tools will be done. Seems silly to use a repair kit with black smith hammer to repair the black smith hammer.

Noric and FrostII like this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

To my knowledge the Artisan tools only come with certain Pledges as rewards, at this time.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. Noric

Noric Avatar

I really do look forward to them further fleshing out the crafting system...

FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.