Some NPC's able to send you emails in Real Life

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Truthveyor, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

I have a bit of a radical idea. I don't know how the community feels about it, but personally I think it will be fun, if it is done right. It has to do with some NPC's in Novia actually able to send you emails in Real Life once in a while :eek:, not so much that they become spam though.

I suppose Players have to opt-in first in order to receive these kinds of emails. The idea is to "make Novia so real that it leaks into your Real Life."

Example: On your birthday, your NPC friend sends you a happy birthday parchment.

Example: Your NPC romantic interest in Novia sends you parchments of sonnets or inquiries on why you haven't come see him/her, maybe even a screen shot of herself/himself once in a while. (I heard many Avatars propose to NPC's, so...)

Example: An NPC adventurer who frequently gets into trouble asks you to rescue her whenever she gets into trouble. She could be stuck in dungeons, held by bandits, etc.

Example: Your NPC bard friend who travels a lot sends you news of his adventures in Novia (like a journal entry, a postcard, etc.) and invites you to come look for him (in a different town each times, in order to give you something, show you a new emote, tell you a new rumor, play you a new song, etc). I think some talented community members may be willing to help out ghost writing for the bard's journals... Maybe even compose a few sheet music for him... You can opt-in or out of receiving his emails by talking to him in game.

The idea is to make Novia and the inhabitants of Novia more real and life-like, so sometimes they should come knock on your door, so to speak. I don't know of any other game that does this, so, if done right, this feature might set Shroud apart from the other games in involvement even more.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Now that takes questing to a whole new level, I like it. @Lum

Truthveyor likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I like the concept, although I'd like to be able to keep those messages in-game as well. Perhaps once the in-game mailboxes are working, they forward any text message you receive as an e-mail (that you can opt out of). That way you get all of the benefits of this suggestion, without it becoming spammy. I do love the idea of NPCs messaging you tho!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.