Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Some observations using an underpowered laptop with Fedora 24

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Azur, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azur

Azur Avatar

I've been away a little while but came back with the impending end of wipes. Normally I'd play on my Windows PC at home but thought I'd try this on my laptop (a Dell XPS 13) with a newly installed Fedora 24. I know it is not a supported config but I was curious if I can get a SoTA fix in hotels (where I spend a reasonable amount of time).

It does sort of work which is cool but I had a few issues:

- The Standalone patcher doesn't work, it opens the first window dowloads the update then crashes
    - The Steam based SoTA launched from steam crashes when importing the game controller config
    - Manually launching the 32bit steam installed version does work surprisingly well!
    - There are odd graphical issues where changing the resolution in fullscreen mode doesn't work so you have to go windowed, changed resolution and go back.
    - Changing scenes seems to go back to the native resolution in fullscreen ignoring what has been set previously

Generally though at a lowish resolution with graphics settings on fastest this is actually usable which I really didn't expect. I know this laptop isn't a gaming machine and I know Fedora is not really supported but it works!

Fister Magee and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Azur, I would recommend submitting a bug for the scene change appearing to change the resolution and the patcher crashing.

The 64 bit steam client will load if you are willing to launch it {insert random number here} times. You can launch the 64 bit client from steam directly from the command line on most Linux versions. The fail to launch of the 64 bit version from steam is a known steam bug.

I'm glad to hear you are having some success in Fedora. I tried to get it to work in rhel7 but had no luck with steam thanks to RH doing their best to prevent 32 bit apps from working on rhel7. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.