Some old SCA'ers playing the game

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by Lace, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Lace

Lace Avatar

We have no IRL place on forums but knowing that a lot of folks including Lord British are and were SCA members I wanted to share some of my SCA time and tales.

I went to the Ansteoran war (texas, lousiana) versus Florida (trimaris) for the first 5 years it was held, I don't remember the guys name whose land we fought on, but he kept building up this fort we fought in and I remember it was a dry county and we had to drive 14 miles each way for beer.

I did a couple of Fool's Wars in the GA area.

I did a couple of Sea Raids wars, one I broke the pinkie on my left hand (shield hand into helmet bars broke it) in a field battle in Savannah when we all stayed in a hotel (got grief from management for drum circles) but because it was like 28 degrees I didn't feel what had happened till hours later and a Chirugeon sat me out.

I was there when Sir Erica became the first female Knight of Trimaris and where she refused to be called Dame and wanted the title of Sir (thus my rant when the male titles were removed in this game). I eventually met her in battle one day when my suicide squad did breach on a bridge battle and I cornered her against a tree, I had her dead to rights, she grinned at me through her helm, as her boys came from behind me and ganked me to no end .. LOL

Never made it to Pennsic but did help organize an event in wyvernwood (aka tampa) the wahhh I can't go to Pennsic Pity Party.

10 years ago I put back on all my armor, drank too much the night before but still sparred again the next day and getting re-certified in a few styles, I was getting old but held my own, I think I was seen as fresh meat but it was like riding a bicycle. Wasn't awesome but wasn't crushed either, surprised a few pups with old school moves.

With all that said here is me aka Lace 25 years ago screwing around for a friend that wanted shots for a leather magazine in my sca armor. Most is not on, but I was told back in the day that I had the best looking black leather armor in Florida .. all hand made except knee cops, elbow, (gorget and helm not pictured)

I do miss the SCA and that includes some of the bruises and aches I took as well.

Only comment is the middle picture that thing hanging, well guys had to wear a cup, girls had to hand craft some kind of metal bar to protect their area, that is part of mine not strapped in LOL, but yes my female cup. It's metal riveted and encasesd in leather that strapped to my chest piece to absorb shock.

Sadly one weekly sparring practice I was fighting a guy 6' 8" and his j shot that would have been low on anyone else caught me on inside of the thigh .. I went face down in the grass and did not move for 5 minutes, telling the guys just give me a moment .. he felt badly but it was a clean shot technically and I was bruised for a month.. He did become my favorite sparring partner cause I had to learn odd angles based on height.

One other memory was a Ren Fest Demo I participated in, it was a full on melee last man standing kind of thing and this guy cranked me on my shoulder and wrecked me. I had fighter practice the next day with a new hosuehold known as Duntyr under Duke Sir Eric Brett Gordon (may have spelled his titles wrong), I did go to practice and said I could not fight that day. But oh no, he told me he didn't have much of this left from his master but grabbed a vial of something and put 2 drops on my shoulder, rubbed it in, and that stinger did not bother me ever again .. I still want to know what this precious oil was, cause it was amazing, it was not numbing, it just worked.

Lace 25 years or so ago in part of her heavy combat SCA armor and one flash photo with live steel.

[​IMG]

if there is a better forum to post this in let me know.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

That is freaking awesome! :D

Lace likes this.
  3. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Pennsic 8 & 9 here, IIRC. Hoping to revive my long-ago MK arms in-game.

Lace likes this.
  4. Lace

Lace Avatar

I re-purposed one of bows, my quiver, my old man at arms belts and my black moccasins this year to be Ygritte from GOT this year for Halloween at work (with this massive fur coat and pants I made, I even dyed my hair strawberry blonde and braided one side of it). For a somewhat tech oriented company too many people didn't get who I was and I was beaten by a store bought bumble bee costume .. Really? My arse is still chapped about the bumble bee costume .. I had fur and hand made arrows and a bow and a bunny fur pouch .. perhaps I need a new programming gig lol!

Leelu and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  5. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Well I'd worry about the place if there aren't enough serious nerds in engineering to recognize GOT, SCA or LARP stuff. So says 30 years Silicon Valley experience. What's wrong with kids these day? :D

I gafiated when we moved West, gave what remained of my gear to a friend who wanted to give fighting a try. She didn't stick, so my old helm could still be circulating somewhere as a newbie loaner.

Lace likes this.
  6. Lace

Lace Avatar

The helm I used to fight in was a bascinet I picked up for 40 bucks, and had rewelded (well my mechanic friend did) to add some more bars and bring them lower cause I have a long neck, and the guy I bought it from was a good fighter but quite the drinker when I knew him, I recall him finding out I had his old helmet and saying I will buy that back I wanna be king, he somewhat later puked in some bushes without missing a step walking. I still have the helm, but he did become king LOL! I think maybe twice making him a duke now.

Widsith [MGT] likes this.
  7. Draconin

Draconin Avatar

That armor looks awesome! You really made that?

Its great to see a woman in some real life stuff instead of the bikini armor you see in most games lol.

Lace likes this.
  8. Irongron

Irongron Avatar

Did Pennsic back in 92, good times.
    Irongron, formerly from Barony Beyond the Mountains (BBM, Connecticut)

Lace likes this.
  9. Lace

Lace Avatar

zzaxx seems familiar but goodness that was so very long ago

10. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Brigade - Bug Hunter

Kingdom of Gleann Abhann, Shire of Northover. :) Alsinda de Rochabaron

I've done Pennsic once, Gulf Wars many times. Still the Webminister for my Shire and the Kingdom Rapier website. Best memories - fighting the ravine battle at Gulf Wars; going to a Court of the Great Dark Horde with my sweetie, Yang the Nauseating, aka Robert Asprin.

A younger me, wearing my rapier gear:
    [​IMG]

My heavy gear (I did not train too terribly long as a heavy fighter):
    [​IMG]

Yang (Robert Asprin) at Gulf Wars (he is on the right, our bartender friend, Robert Robbins, is on the left) they are standing in front of my pavilion:
    [​IMG]

[Edit] Eh eh - I should add something to this - so, most knights bring their squires with them to "war" - us? Well, of course we brought our own bartender. . . .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Barony of Bryn Gwlad in Ansteorra.
    Former Halberd Pursuivant.
    Member of the Order of the Dreigiau Bryn of Bryn Gwlad.

I know the real Shamino, Dupre, Iolo, Gwenno... They are or were all real people that play or played in the Barony.

Raven Swiftbow likes this.