Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Someone just spent $80,000 on reagents? Gold exploit?

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by cosmicvoyager, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

Greetings,

A few minutes ago I was about to buy some reagents from Thomas Strongbeard in Fire Lotus tavern when someone bought *all* of them. There were at least 500 of each reagents.

This makes me wonder if there is some gold exploit to get that much money already. Maybe someone should check the logs.

Thanks

2. sgt pEppEr

sgt pEppEr Avatar

It is still very easy to use CheatEngine, etc... to game the game for goods.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

(sarcasm on)

No problem, I'm sure gold sinks will fix it. :)

(sarcasm off)

4. cosmicvoyager

cosmicvoyager Avatar

Well, they should monitor player inventory for changes like that.

Vyrin likes this.
  5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's my understanding that they didn't mess with server side security until a few releases ago. That sometime in the last 2-3 months they made everything go through the server to "check" automatically that what you had locally matched with what was happening on the server. (at least this is how I remember it)

I don't have an explanation for what you saw, only the devs can answer that. It's just pre-alpha though. This kind of thing happens all the time.

MY ARGUMENT is that even when the economy isn't being hacked and flooded with counterfeit gold, having gold sinks doesn't really fix or work or make any sense as a long term solution OR as a base for your economic system. But so far that appears to be how the devs plan to manage the economy, gold sinks.

I think "the economy" is going to be something that is focused on soon, so I guess we'll see what they come up with to balance the economy when it's not being hacked as well as balance the security when it is.

7. smack

smack Avatar

I hope they're using certificate pinning for any ssl communication to prevent mitm attacks or snooping for exploits.

8. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

You guys have discovered a bug. It seems that Thomas has just been lazy and is not restocking his supply of magical go juice. It's being bugged as I type.
    So yay, it's not an exploit!

9. sgt pEppEr

sgt pEppEr Avatar

But it sounds like an exploit.

If he truly had 500+ of each reagent, not a single one, and within minutes they were gone, that is a ridiculous amount of sales.

And CE is still very, very usable.

10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yep, due to shop keepers not getting fully moved over to the server for this release, local hacks are still possible. Items are created on the server but not gold. Items can actually be created on the character and sold to a vendor currently as well. This should be fixed in R11.

It looks like most of the cash influx in the world is from a more benign source though. There was a merchant who would buy stuff and then had the stuff on him if you killed him! Repeat infinitely....

11. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

crap, i didnt think to kill merchants to loot them.... what i get for not RPing the typical evil overlord I go with most of the time... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.