Sorry.. asking for SotA - Youtube Channel Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by macnlos, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I am possibly opening a can of worms now but what about twitch or mixer for you people?

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about. Never started a serious try to stream stuff.

3. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Lazarus Long, skeggy Media and Numa like this.
  4. Lace

Lace Avatar

Hmm I don't care about subs ... I just want the videos to be useful so I never say subscribe in my videos, I purposely will not monetize my vids because I freaking hate commercials, but that is just me.

I do wish you well though, but I don't really subscribe to anything other than pat benatar lol. that's just me.

I know I am doing it all wrong but I am approaching it from a consumer viewpoint not a vid maker viewpoint. Its a hobby and a hope to spread my love of the game.

(and if this sounds mean I don't mean it that way, I just don't want commercials on my stuff so don't want monetization .. again my personal feelings.

Bow Vale, Stundorn, Numa and 2 others like this.
  5. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

You do realize that the Partnership program gives you access to other features on the channel other than monetization? These features give you some insight on to how well your videos are doing and allows you to make changes to help make sure you are creating videos that people are finding useful. If you don't want to monetize your videos you don't have to. It is an explicit option/choice on every video that you publish (you control it).

Numa, ShurTugal and Antrax Artek like this.
  6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

@Earl Atogrim von Draken - I stream on Twitch and I post videos on YouTube. My permanent/long-term content stays up on YouTube while my transient/live stuff goes out on Twitch. It's not a one or the other choice.

As Lace points out for herself, she detests ads and just wants to make great content. While I agree with it in principle, making great content is pointless if no one finds it. I work hard to promote myself in game, on Twitch, on YouTube, on these forums, on Twitter, on Instagram, on Facebook and on Discord so people can find me and my content... thus making it useful.

As for the YouTube Partnership Program.. If someone searches for something Shroud related, YouTube has algorithms to determine what it returns and what comes up on the top of the search result. I can guarantee you that content from a Partner will have a greater chance of showing up in search results. So for me, being a Partner is key to making sure my content has chance to be found.

7. Lace

Lace Avatar

Yes I get that, but again since I am not trying to market myself, I either hit or miss from my true heart, not one guided by analytics .. again a personal choice and I have nothing against those using analytics to grow their market. It is a smart thing, but I don't profess to be a smart woman with a goal., I just like to yap a lot on youtube.

I started doing videos after seeing the wonderful storytelling that @Womby did and have just let it be organic, not a business model thus my incessant babbling in my vids heh. I speak from my heart and things I like, with no marketing strategy or dramatics, its just one gamer gal's opinion, which you may or may not agree with and said freely without the fear of market loss.

I get yall wanting to hit this 1k mark and perhaps on alt youtube account I will subscribe to help you out but as a rule my channel is not about making money, and it is no way a reflection on you guys that want to do this, it is a lack of motivation on my part to do the same heh.

Womby and macnlos like this.
  8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I get it Lace but read the post just above this one. It's not "money" related. It's about wanting to make content and have it seen and be useful. If you have seen my videos you will notice that I too just speak. I decide on a topic, I hit record and go. The only difference it seems here is I'm spending a little extra time focusing on making sure that my content gets seen. And again, not for money, but of usefulness sake.

I've always liked and respected the work you do. I think we are actually pretty close on how we approach things as well. Thanks for chiming in here too, it's important that these things are talked about and shared.

9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I hear what your saying as well lace but it's about more than just the money and I am not talking about the other tools that are available to get your content seen by others. Everyone views money as this big evil monster and all those that pursue it minions of said big evil monster but its not. Its a tool. Its a tool that allows us to create better and more content for those who like viewing it just like shroud has it's store and it's telethons and all the money making ventures it has not because the devs are this big evil group of greedy people out to make a buck. It's because the more revenue they bring in the better a game they can produce. As a personal example, my pc rocks a gtx 1070 and a i7-7700k. I know if I could afford a gtx 1080ti and one of those new i9 cpu's than I could increase the quality of the content I produce like say in 4k (maybe not in shroud at this very moment because shroud struggles with 4k, ask markeedragon) but in general but because I am poor and struggling financially right now upgrading is very far in the future. it doesn't mean I stop producing content because I love producing content but I still plan on working towards the time where I can afford a gtx 1080ti and can rock some 4k video's. like I said. money is just a tool to use to create better content. :) :) cheers :)

10. Lace

Lace Avatar

I absolutely understand where you are coming from (hides her 1080ti) but to me better content is not on the screen shot it is the message... just saying and playing devil's advocate. I started out on really bad vid card .. my vid card should not dictate the validity of my message, and I should not ask players to front for my vid card, and I am not some rich ***** saying this I am Donna Summer and I work hard for the money lol. So unfortunately asking for subs to buy you equipment is like the guys I pass on my interstate exit asking for money for food. They have a need, you have a want or desire.. I know it sounds mean .. but think of the hungry.

Again I get what yall want and why you posted ... just want you to look beyond your needs.

11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

lol I don't think thats a valid comparison lace. using your logic, shroud should never ask for a dime from us players so they can create this amazing game they are making. they should find some other way to create it and just give it to us because we the players have a need and all the reasons @macnlos gave are very valid to specifically "making great content is pointless if no one finds it" In relation to all the tools the partnership program give people to help others find your stuff so they can enjoy it. :) :) That's ok. we just have very fundamental different views on this topic. :) have a great day :)

Antrax Artek and macnlos like this.
  12. Lace

Lace Avatar

Yeah I guess I dont get it my bad

Can you be a partner without monetizing?

13. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Yes @Lace , you can be a partner and not monetize anything. You can turn on or off monetization on any video at any time. No monetization. Always monetized. Monetize it when it comes out and turn it off after a week. All up to you. That is my only point; Partnership <> Monetization. Partnership means you have the "ability" to monetize if you choose. The real gem that most people don't see is that videos returned by search algorithms will be higher for partners than non-partners.

And yes, I do monetize my videos. It doesn't make me hardly anything but here is my "belief". If I want people to see/find my videos then I have position it as best I can for the search algorithms. Now if the algorithms have a choice between a Partner vs Non-partner, I think it will choose the Partner. Additionally, if it has to choose between a Monetized vs Non-monetized video, it think it will favor the Monetized since it makes them money.

There are other ways not to depend on the Search Algorithms. That is why I started to Stream on Twitch. Twitch feeds YouTube. YouTube feeds Twitch. And to be really honest about the money... while it is still not a lot, I make more on Twitch then I do on YouTube. For every 0.01 I earn on YouTube, I make about 0.05 on Twitch (5x more). Twitch money is very different too. People sub (pay) to the channel and donate bits as an active way to show appreciation for the content. It's never asked for, people choose to do it because they want to show appreciation. Streams are very personal. People identify with who they hang out with and build a relationship on a certain level. People get a lot from these interactions and just want to share their appreciation in a very tangible way.

So this whole monetizing videos is very chicken and egg. Don't partner or monetize is an option but then you potentially are hiding your videos from some of the searchers. Monetize the videos and yes, they will have to see a video or two, but you will be able to share more of your content with more people. There is no right our wrong choice here. I just didn't want people walking away with the impression that Partnership is only about Money.

And congrats on the Video Contest win today! Both you and ShurTugal did well!!!
    CR

Numa likes this.
  14. Lace

Lace Avatar

thank you, you answered many of my questions without reading countless documents..I understand a lot more now,but still against commercials .. I know the old grey mare heheheheh, but I get it a bit more now. And from what you say I should reach out more, and fail on that part.

I got facerig with awesome looking UI (To me) where if I didn't clean my area I can still broadcast (thanks Envy for making me love your raccoon on the hat walk throughs--- such that I investigated the how to and ) --- I got my own setup now and can broadcast in a style where I can be a pig (not that you did, just that I can with facerig). Perhaps I hit that now since I can to give some more flair or maybe hit twitch more just for Sota.

I doubt hitting 1k folks and the other things but I more fully understand yalls individual quests

Thanks for splaining to 'Lucy'

Numa likes this.
  15. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Well people... thank you for the support on this! Personally I've moved up from about 920 subs to 980! Only 20 more to go and I can keep my partnership!

https://youtube.com/elainastrongbow

16. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Subscribed, I don't tend to watch youtube videos or streaming but hope it helps everyone.

macnlos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.