Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Sorry, but Etceter is ugly

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Redbeard

Jon Redbeard Avatar

Ardoris is the same way except the streets are paved.

Need a little more misc in the streets methinks.

Also dirt roads shouldn't mean barren roads.

Need some texturization there pretty badly, some grass shoots around the edges of the homes.

Ice Queen, smack and Kaisa like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I'm really hoping that they are still planning for those final rounds of polish to every scene, especially the towns, to add all those little details, to make them less pristine and more lived in, to feel as if people have actually traveled through and lived there for centuries.

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think one of the problems is also that the same assets are used over and over. For example most of the houses in the cities look the same. In the old Ultimas all of the towns used a distinct set of assets and looked unique. You could tell Britain apart from Yew or New Magincia... In SotA nearly all of the cities look similar.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Well, row houses are going to inherently all look the same, especially when people drop a deed but don't change from the default house. Perhaps the player housing taking up about 2/3 of the "dense" area is part of the problem.

5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Very true, there's not much uniqueness to them at all. I guess you're right, same assets, so they all look so similar there's no character and uniqueness to any of the cities/towns. Of course, most of the towns/cities we have so far are pretty much flat too with little hills and depth to the textures of dirt/tiles/stones/greenery.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm not saying Etceter should look like this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/45988 perhaps a different town would be better suited for this particular town type, but these pics give a sense that the city is a bit run down, lived in, but things going on in it..but mainly the way the streets and housing placements add depth to the environment, not to mention the greenery and worn road paths. The pathways going up and down as you wander through the city...It looks like a fantasy/medieval setting and I could see wandering about in.

Each city/town needs to look different, and they should look like a place in the world, not just a few buildings here and there, stuck next to each other, that look exactly like every other city/town in the game, (bank, tavern, blacksmith shop, alchemy shop, ...etc. all crunched up together)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

That's how I expect a city in SotA to look like. All of those details, the paths through the city, slopes etc. A great example.

8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I was under the assumption when they told us back 2 years ago about the Vision that we would have different pledge Categories of Houses, but that all of them would
    be designed to work as harmony.
    So i was under the assumption that we would end up having first the classic Medieval (Steam) towns like above developed from low pledge to high pledge houses, but all working as "one town" - "one theme".
    No matter what house you place besides each other it would feel like fitting.

When it went a other direction i thought - wow - maybe we will end up for each "culture type of house" like viking with many different types of houses - and they will be restricted to areas.

I do appreciate the "Freedom" they grant us to place whatevery we want and whereever we want.
    And we do have many different House types that would fit as one theme.
    For many such a example like above might not be important.
    But that would have been my dream come tru.

In the north we would find the ones who love viking type houses - south the Desolis type housings - then in a Elf Area all us Players would be living with an Elf House and so on.

So diversity yes - but restricted cultural placement.

For me this would be the ultimate way i did hope our Towns "with Player Houses" would have looked. But that would have required the Pledge Reward Houses to stick to one "culture type".
    Or a restriction of our Freedom.

What is more miportant is a preference. Freedom of choice is of course always good for the gamer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Kara Brae and Ice Queen like this.
  9. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I too had a vision of what Etceter would look like based upon Tracy's wonderful depiction in BotA. I'm not sure I would say Etceter is Ulgy, quoting the OP, but it certainly was a far cry from what I had envisioned from reading. Of coarse years (and centuries) can have an effect on places, but the overall feeling I got was something along the line of the pictures @Ice Queen Posted above to a degree. More remnants of solid streets and walkways, ruins.. if nothing else of a fallen Noble great home (and courtyard) or ruler-ship and with it everything that would be associated. Even if the Satyr's are in control, the History just does not seem to be showing through.

In the end, it totally felt someone was asked to create a Port Village, whereas I read Etceter to be a Larger Port Town, the biggest and only one for a great distance. I really thought I missed something, I too went back and re-read the Chapter thinking I was mistaken about something. I think the part that really put me aside was KNOWING the History of a Baroness, some sort of strong, established center of commerce. I just don't see that, or any degree of history of that emanating from this scene. It feels like a small warf.

10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Glad it's just not me thinking the town is too paltry, I need to go back and re-read the book but from what I remembered, I was expecting a really large port town as well.

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

The town is brown -
    that makes me frown.
    I like a splash
    (more than a dash)
    of colour spread around.

12. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Great example! That town looks great.

Sir Cabirus and Ice Queen like this.
  13. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Myrcello my friend you videos are always inspiring to me.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

A role-player wandering into Etceter,

15. Joeyboots

Joeyboots Avatar

Lol Brilliant rhymes friend! Cheers! :)

16. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Would Captain Jack be ignorant in pointing out that perhaps there is a reason it looks this way which is established at a later point in the story? What if it is like Paws?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I'd even expect Paws to have more detail... Junk littering the streets, more grown-over Building, more worn-down buildings, etc.

Ice Queen and Miracle Dragon like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

As far as details in the street and an interesting look goes, Etceter should rather look like this:
    [​IMG]

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.