Sorry not again but I have to re stretch goal remedy

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by majoria70, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm sure they have this subject on their radar and will address it when they can. They have a great track record of doing the right thing.

majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh there you are myrcello my friend;) I know this has been talked about before and you always say it so well.

Tahru likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thanks for your reply. I understand where you are going with this, but I truly think the stretch goals need to stand on their own merit. They can be added revenue also if they are sold correctly. ;) They really don't need housing to sell them. They are wonderful features to have in game.:)

Joviex, Tahru and Filthy Peasant like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I like the way you think. :) I also think the derogatory statements should be removed from the stretch goals completely. If people think they are buying something that would be a piece of junk to them if stretch goals aren't met then they wouldn't want to buy them. I am not into plushies myself or pets that follow you around. I don't mind having a cat that meows at me when I go to my house or such but I don't want a pet that much. I agree with what you say about unique mounts. These always sell so well in other games. The current marketing for the stretch goals is not helping and needs to change.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know I read that. I totally do not think it is true that we don't want these. There have been such arguments about the stretch goals and i think it doesn't have to be that way if they were handled correctly they would be met.:)

Tahru likes this.
  6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, I think they can sell on their own if promoted right, but the way they're tucked away I only knew about them from seeing your post, heh. I was just suggesting a way to get them out in the open since people buy house add-ons they'd see them more and be inclined to throw them in their cart so to speak. I think they just aren't promoted well at the moment. The way they're tucked away atm and the way it's worded, I wouldn't pledge for them unless people were throwing money at it too. Where it is at the moment just looks like a lost cause :(

Joviex, majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

In the RG CES interview, it was said that as an alternative to cash compensation, Port offered some content contributors double value in SOTA store coins. I am sure many people would be more than OK with that. Alas the whole tangent is really speculative.

Caliya likes this.
  8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

+1

9. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

o_O

10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

While I feel for the dev team, and know they have a lot on their plate, and I really enjoyed Qball's posts when I read them awhile ago.......

Is this post trolling? I ask in all seriousness, because this thread was about how we can accomplish making the stretch goals a reality. Most people have pledged and contributed in countless ways. But that suggestion seemed almost like a guilt trip.

Portalarium really needs to get more backers, not milk the same ones.

Roper Docholiday, Xandra7 and Joviex like this.
  11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I completely agree Majoria, not being a cat person to begin with i still dont need a plushy following me around doing nothing. At least the pack animals offer inventory support, even if the do look a little silly.

majoria70 likes this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Your intentions are fine, even the spaming all over the forums I can deal with no problem.

The issue is, asking, or begging really, for more money from the people who have been here since day one, and HAVE given all they can/want to give, is just not going to cut it.

This project has boasted, numerous times, how the community can help add content. <---- THAT would have saved them in the long run, IF they had a pipeline for it.

Right now, even if you get bare minimum pledges @ 45$ a head, that is only a few hours, if not more like a couple hours, of money for a SINGLE artist to work.

If you can get another 500k raised, then they could hire 4-5 more artists, easily, and task them to focus on content.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen the pipeline for accepting assets from the community to make 500k look more like 1 million, given they return double value if you take payouts in "pledge" money.

I have done nothing except take that double option offer, never any direct money, and I am pretty sure its the same for Bubonic, etc... and to be 100% honest, we make a lot more than 22$ an hour, so the valuation would have been MUCH much higher in the long run, really sourcing from the community.

Caliya likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

In all seriousness, it would take, on average, an additional 2,560 people to purchase the most expensive package item in the same stretch goal to make it succeed. Nothing near that quality will even read these threads, and I bet most that do read them are already contributing enough.

Also, I don't think Port is a charity.

Hence, the best thing we can do is help to attract more player/pledges. We do that by voting in poles, being kinder in our posts here, helping people enjoy the game, and mentioning the game in other places.

Xandra7 likes this.
  14. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Right. How do we get the word out to those that don't get to the forums much?

Tahru likes this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Here are the ones off the top of my head...

The obvious
    • Mention SOTA when gaming with other friends
    • I hate facebook, but if you have one, friend sota and make a post about it.
    • tweet about SOTA and friend SOTA, in fact there are a lot of people in SOTA to friend including RG
    • g+
    • linked in
    Less than obvious, but effective
    • Put a link to SOTA in your signature in other forums you use.
    And for the activist with thick skin
    • Keep the SOTA Steam forum active and positive. Steam has more gamers than any other social network. SOTA's exposure there is critical.
    Just for fun
    • Buy or make a SOTA hat or shirt and wear it

16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Make videos, tweet, drive people to a forum/blog that contains more and more information. Find communities for people to connect with.

We are in the decade of nothing but decadent social media.

If there was more concept art, you could go to concept art sites and talk people up to get them interested in that aspect, which in turn could make them sellers to others who have an overlapped interest in gaming, in that community.

Perhaps getting people who do in game screenshots as beauty art, to come over, see if they can do anything interesting here, to again, sell the idea in their established communities.

I guess the theme here is: find an aspect of the game, that is not necessarily the "game" and sell that idea to other communities interested in that aspect. They will in turn provide the platform, and most likely the voice, to resell that idea.

Perfect case in point: The writing contests we had, while great for us, were pretty much "who ever reads this in the forums...." which even here, a lot of people missed, twice.

If someone took that contest idea and spread it around on other various writing sites, or sent directed tweets to various writing groups, saying a little about the contest, and that you didn't have to be involved in the game, etc etc... to spark their eye in what really motivates their interest, that will feed word of mouth and may even get tangential pledges no one ever thought about.

Sadly this should already be a part of the marketing, rather than just a litany of magazine/blog interviews -- its not 1999 anymore.

Caliya, DavenRock [MGT] and Tahru like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think pushing for them to "add" things is a double edged sword. The amount of work still required here is daunting. I'm not even sure they will reach the original amount let alone some more goals on top of what they have. What will happen is other things will get pushed to support another, IMHO.

I don't see them going out and hiring a bunch more people to come in and do this.

Joviex and Tahru like this.
  18. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

If they need artist and such im not a desgnier or a programmer could we not have remote entries put in by college students working on thier degree in such a feild? in essance it would be free work for the game. the students would get expericance and probably name reconition in the credits somewhere and truly get some busniess experiance in the feild they are trying to get into. when the game is a huge success having thier name on the credits would be a great resume boost.

same goes with music and sounds can we not do the similar thing?

I love this game with that being said i do not feel the time to promote it world wide is now. were to far from launch and while that money could be a great help now i think we would turn more players away from the game at its current development. once it hits beta then yes i think we should all try to get eveyone we know to play some how. the limited content and continues wipes only the true hard corp beliver of the project will enjoy. i have close to 15 friends that will play once it gets closer to launch but not now.

Lord Baldrith, Caliya and Tahru like this.
  19. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

The whole reason they set such a high bar for each stretch goal was, I presume, for the distinct purpose of being able to hire more crew so they aren't a skeleton crew.

No offense taken. I understand your suggestion. But it may come across as if others haven't made enough of a financial commitment (blame the members usually doesn't go over so well). Some folks in these forums have made a much, much bigger financial commitment than me.

Joviex, redfish and Tahru like this.
  20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

It's admirable you want to get out the word. My question is, whose responsibility is it to advertise the game, features, add-ons and stretch goals?

Community run is a cool idea, it's also admirable. But it shouldn't rest entirely on us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.