SotA Con - Austin 2017 (Oct 13-15, 2017)

Discussion in 'Archived Events' started by Duke Ezekiel Cooper, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Then, as a point of fact, the only southerner in this thread is yours truly. Under that fact, I am GM for the South. And with my authority I proclaim that we should try to get Sotacon 2018 hosted in California, Canada, London or Germany because us Southerners and Easterners have already had our fill.

Edit: Before Texan's get offended by a true southerner. Texan's should look a Texas history. Texas has always had a loyalty to Texas, not the south and not the union. That independence is something to be proud of. Texas is not recognised as being part of the South by the South. Strangely VA is the South and they betrayed the South because... not going political... if you don't know ask somebody else. life is too short. In truth, the era of separation should have died 200 years ago. Good riddance.

Lastly, being a Southerner comes with a lifetime of baggage, mostly underserved. What I mean is that every day my carolina white skin is subject to national discrimination and shame for deeds I played no part in and no matter how I live my life there will people that judge me. Even in this very post, some of you are judging me. Hence, I cannot understand why anyone would want to claim they are the South. I do it just because I have to own it. I live in the real south, seen the bad people, talked to the bad people, have blood that had slaves and all that. It is not who I am, but I cannot pretend to be a California hippie. I have to own it. But by owning it, I also own the honor of my state that sacrificed more lives in the civil war, WW1 WW2 Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq.... name it, you will never find another state more patriotic that has sacrificed more, 100% fact. That does not erase the bad, but in regards to discrimination, I have never done so and always treated others as equals even when my superiors did not. Yet I still have to stand up when someone ask who is a real Southerner. That is me, and I cannot understand why others would want to assume all that baggage.

As far as discrimination goes, please explain to me how the best place in the US to live for african americans is Durham, NC? That is a city my baby was raised in and in fact is not more than 3 miles from home now. Hence it should be totally obvious. I worked in Massachusetts for 1.5 years, want to talk about racists... I met skinheads that I almost shot myself that were less racist than yanks.

In pure geography, Texas is Central, and can totally own that, they should and piss off the rest of us. Like I said, life is too short. i really like and honor @Duke Ezekiel Cooper, so I proclaim him GM of central america because he deserves better than the burdens of the south.

Anybody ever noticed how impossible it is to talk about racism without someone calling you a racist? Literally even you are African American, you will be considered racist for bringing it up. There is literally no magic words I can say to show just how anti-racist I really am. It sucks and takes a lot gut to even post this message, because many will just not understand with their ignorant holier than now attitude.

Let me share a story from my Navy life in 1985. I was a Nuke electrician in boot camp in Chicago, and after bootcamp I attended "A" school in electronics where 4 people were shoved into a tiny room. One roommate was a white iowa farmer's kid, a white oklahoma kid, a black ohio kid and me, a white south florida kid. In the Navy we were treated all the same, but Clyde, from Ohio hated all white people. But listen more because this does not end like you expect. The thing about Chicago is that they (all of Chicago) HATE Navy people there and anyone that would even talk to you were trying to take advantage, One day I came home with a radio that I over-financed by a Chicago crook and on that same day Clyde had more than $100 stolen from him. Prior to this, Clyde would often pick on our farmer roommates and I would defend them as a Florida Cracker, because I thought he was just blaming and hating. Alas, when Clyde's money was stolen the commander said it was OK if the thief never made it to him alive. As you can guess, the coincidence was very bad for me. But I stood my ground and Clyde and I swapped lots of real blood. However, in the end... I graduated and those farmers boys never showed even though I protected them. But Clyde was literally the only person there and the clapping when I graduated. It was that day that I truly realized that if we remain true to who we are, we are eventually seen for who we really are and perhaps more importantly we can finally see others for who they really are. I would travel to the end of the world to drink a brew with Clyde today, and not drive a mile for the other two! Life is too short to be anything but who we really are.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

Once again...

I appreciate everyone that attended and supported SOTACON-Austin 2017 this year.

We look forward to serving the community again in 2018.

Thank you,
    @Duke Ezekiel Cooper
    Event Manager
    SOTACON-Austin

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  3. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

@Tahru

FYI - NBNN is steadily putting the panels up on their YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygYyGgI5R-ue8xyqhTktwQ/videos Hopefully we can get to a point where we can stream some of these events LIVE so that the community at-large that might not be able to attend can enjoy the panels and information.

In general part of the impetus for announcing essentially a year out is so that attendees can plan ahead and possibly budget for a trip with confidence. My goal participating in this endeavor with @Duke Ezekiel Cooper (who hey I've butted heads with in the past) is I want the event to be kick ass for those who can attend and we will be working to do that.

I hope other SotaCons can be held everywhere and I hope I can attend the gatherings away from my home state of Texas.

V/R Brickbat

Tahru likes this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Sorry, but Sotacon 2018 is not determined yet. First we need to offer it up to those that have not had the awesome opportunity and those that want to share their wonderful home to all of us.

If and only after that opportunity has been extended will we the SOTA community recognise Austin as an option.

In order to solidify the event and quell any objection, I have started a new thread to extend the opportunity. I have added a deadline of December 1st so as not to cause any hindrance and provide the necessary runway for planning, no matter who becomes the next host. This is a fair at it can be and I give my word it will be treated with the utmost of respect and due diligence. It may very well come down to a community vote or perhaps nobody will apply. Either is fine.

As a matter of record, I will accept the application for Austin 2018 at this time.

5. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

@Lord British, @DarkStarr, @Berek, @Violation Clauth, @Brickbat

This guy has already got on the SOTACON-Austin 2018 thread that I created and I had to delete the thread as a result.
    I'm gonna step away from this now and let you guys deal with this before I continue planning SOTACON-Austin 2018.
    Thank you...

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am taking this offline because there is no need to engage in a false war between two people that clearly have the community's interest in mind, albeit a different perspective on some issues. I am sure we will come to a proper understanding. For the record I consider @Duke Ezekiel Cooper an incredible upstanding member of the community and in no way would I hope to discredit his honor, not his record nor would I want to discourage his continued participation in all aspects of Sota life.

Bow Vale likes this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

My WHOLE point is that the decision was NOT discussed with the community as a whole and it should have been. IMHO

I will leave it at that.

Mykll likes this.
  8. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Wow everyone please calm down. The reality of next year is that launch will happen "sometime" during the year. This means the bandwidth of the devs is going to be EXTREMELY limited and we will need to focus our travel and time VERY carefully. Having the Con in Austin only in 2018 is our best use of our time. Sorry if that offends or mucks with anyone's plans but that is reality. Hopefully in 2019 we are big enough and have enough bandwidth that we can have multiple cons in various regions.

With that said even then I would HIGHLY recommend that we do NOT try to schedule cons in their own unique timeslots but rather try to organize them alongside other regional events like Dragon Con, PAX Prime, PAX East, etc. i.e. events where we the Devs would likely already be in attendance.

9. Berek

Berek Senior Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

The next SotA Con in 2018 is going to be in Austin. The SotA Con team and our own both feel bad that there are those that are not going to be able to make it, but this strategy of consolidation is the best way right now. As @DarkStarr said, we recommend to keep things focused for the health of the community. It is unique that you are able to coordinate and get devs to attend an event like this at all, as game companies don't even usually endorse them. We do because we know how much it means to the spirit of all of us.

These events are designed to bring everyone together, including the developers. Because we are very careful with how we allocate backer resources, this means we can only attend and endorse strongly one of these events a year at this time, and of course that is going to be in Austin if it can be done. This location is also useful for those interested in visiting the entire team at Portalarium. It makes perfect sense that it start and (for now) continue here until we can get past Launch and then grow the community further.

Please know that none of you are left out, just ask @Duke Ezekiel Cooper, Violation Clauth, and others to participate in this next one until we can all together consider other exclusive events elsewhere. Europe is an excellent region to consider and perfectly reasonable to start thinking about. Discussion with the entire community on some of these things is difficult if the health of the actual intent is to move forward (though it was in fact discussed early on). Sometimes you just have to stick your head out there and plant the flag :).

We strongly suggest you work together as a single group on this project until we can grow the community past Launch and then can consider other options. It is not wise to create multiple events right now because of the relatively small size of the pre-launch community. Instead, use Dragon Con and PAX to put together a community gathering there. We will help promote it, and may yet be able to attend! Something like "SotA @ Dragon Con 2018", "SotA @ gamescom Germany 2018", etc. Do it!! :)

If there are any further concerns over who's organizing what events, we will sort it out and take the lead if needed. Just contact us please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.