Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SOTA consumes a massive amount of GPU

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Mishikal, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I'm not seeing the high GPU usage on my old Windows 7 machine w/ GTX 670 anymore with build 734 , and latest Nvidia drivers (399.07) FYI.

[​IMG]

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3550 @ 3.07GHz (8) System RAM: 24573
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 GPU RAM: 1979
    SotA.QA.Win.64.734.Date.08.28.18

2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Just a snapshot of GPU Load,VRAM Usage,etc. I'm getting way less hitching than on Live, but if it's like last release I'm expecting the performance improvement won't carry over. When I first logged on, around Owl's Head on the overworld, my GPU Load hit 95% and stayed in the 90's in Hidden Vale. Once I got into Novia it was between 70-80%, and 50-70% in The Rise. CPU Usage seems to be very high for me though(SOTA is only program running.) Mostly 70% or higher. On game load I was down to 7.9G Mem free out of 16.

[​IMG]

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15913
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-33-generic, LLVM 6.0.0) GPU RAM: 8148
    SotA.QA.Linux.64.734.Date.08.28.18
    Area: The Rise
    Area Display Name: The Rise
    Loc: (71.9, 40.0, 160.3)
    Debug: VGhlIFJpc2V8fCg3MS44NTMsIDQwLCAxNjAuMzMzKXwoMCwgMC43MTMsIDAsIC0wLjcwMSl8NTQxLjk4ODh8MzQuMjY3OTJ8My42NTYyMg==

Mishikal likes this.
  3. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

With 734, using "Best", things do look a bit better.

I am at "only" 63% GPU now where I used to get pegged at 100%.

However, when I go to the world map, GPU cycles go *up*, now at 71% GPU.

So no 100% GPU anymore, but still a ridiculous amount of GPU.

Will retry with "Fastest" next.

Sorthious likes this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

For 734, with Fastest:
    Sitting in house on the lot, where I had 63% GPU or so, I have 50-65%.
    Going to the world map, GPU cycles drop significantly to 43% GPU.

So something's still odd with the GPU + "Best" on the world map.

5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

End result: Warped fans on my GPU. At least it was only $19 to replace them.

Sorthious likes this.
  6. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I have new information to share, for those willing and familiar with Windows "workarounds" for GPU scaling.

These methods are strictly limited to adequate GPUs, proper game video settings, and monitor refresh rate. All of those things must be understood before continuing.

Ok, firstly, I won't have continuous performance data about how well these things all work TOGETHER, in an effective manner, until I have loaded up the newest patch and logged in for the first time using the latest patch to continue my testing/exploration of this issue (GPU overheating). On Live, not QA.

Secondly, I need to explicitly say, none of these things are changes anyone should make without knowing what they are doing beforehand, and more importantly, knowing what they will be changing by altering any flags or other settings for the GPU.

Thirdly, Overclocking a monitor's refresh rate is absolutely harmless if it it done in the right manner. The only ACTUAL drawback is if you change a setting and do not know how to undo/remove the overclocking setting. Overclocking a monitor's refresh rate is absolutely different than the traditional understanding of Overclocking a GPU, RAM, or CPU. Again, not for the ignorant nor the faint of heart. \

Tertiary and as my final opening caveat emptor: If you are easily bored, prone to flights of fancy, or, in any other format, easily distracted or simply, just plain not a natural tinkerer, DO NOT EVEN BOTHER with ANY of this. You must be willing to learn as you go, just what EXACTLY you are attempting to accomplish with this. Case in point, I spent 4 hours just to categorically determine the maximum refresh rate I can achieve with my hardware. It's 120hz. That's where I started. I tried everything. But nothing can escape the speed limit of an eDP bus limit of 120hz. Moving on.

Okay, "So you want to be a hero?" Overclocking gains are always marginally effective. Seldom are they mind-blowing. But, in this application of multiple flag settings changed view behind-the-scenes settings, edited with a program called "nvidiaInspector" and "nvidiaProfileInspector", many useful things can be simply "turned on/off". Interesting and of limited use flags such as "Frame Rate Limiter 2 Control" and "Power Throttle" are key, to a lesser extent, GSYNC and the native refresh rate of your given laptop panel/display panel will come into play later.

The primary things that will net an immediately noticeable change will be setting your Frame Control Limiter to be 100fps and your Power Throttle to 90.

That there can eliminate a great deal of FPS drop/decay/loss/etc.

The next thing is that you can safely, easily, overclock almost any TN panel monitor or IPS monitor that is defaulted at 60hz refresh rate. Some only allow for overclocking by just 4-5 hz, but the large majority allow for stable overclocks up to 85-95hz, some even (much more uncommon) go up to 108 with simple settings changes. But as I learned and stated earlier, you have to know what implementation of technology is applied to your given panel/monitor. Even the backlight technology matters in this. TN panels offer speed and simplicity in achieving more Refresh Rate, and IPS panels tend to not do that to nearly the same degree. But this is about performance, not color accuracy. Nor is it about increased/decreased brightness of the technology implemented. This is just about performance.

To be edited further, I need to compose further thoughts on this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Mishikal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.