SOTA Female character, the softer feminine side & more

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by majoria70, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well the Drakensang has a lovely feel to it from what I saw. I'd like to see the painting Myrcello. So perhaps it is almost time to revive this thread, well since you did myrcello. We got a little bit of progress made on our female characters and probably male characters got some too, not sure though since I always play the female. So again once the team has a moment perhaps hair, beards and character touch ups along the way can come in, we still need it. I haven't seen much comments lately, but I still do think we need more done in this area before launch. That's including character customization improvements and as mentioned (by Chris) a height adjustor should be coming in sometime. Very helpful foor people who want to play little looking people dwarf type and hobbit type even though those classes won't come in, it will still give the roleplay for those interested in that type of character. :)

Caliya, NaomiLin and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

She made 2 pictures :

[​IMG]

I basically did ask if she cold make a painting of the trailer:

A bigger version:

[​IMG]

This is one of my more favorite ones she made:

[​IMG]

By the way:
    Incase Stephan Daniele is reading this. She is 73 years old and the best moments of the Development Time had been me and my mom sitting down watching his Pen of the Avatars.
    She always told me that you truly could see his training and professional skills he has aquired and she even took some tips. She said does not matter if he does it on a computer or not. You can use the rules everywhere. And yes.. his charme..he loved that also. haha.
    She does not love all those modern art painters who on the ohter side are not able to paint basics like a flower, or a apple. She always says first you learn to paint the basics and then you may move to modern art.

So that a little share of my mother. :)

Themo Lock, Gaelis, Mata and 5 others like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Very lovely paintings Myrcello, thanks so much for sharing. And Im not sure Stephen would think to look in this thread for paintings perhaps you should post it separately so he sees it. I miss seeing him around and Rustic of course, well and while Im at it, Time Lord too. *sighs*.:(

Lord Baldrith and Myrcello like this.
  4. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Lord Soliwilos and Caliya like this.
  5. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I think both male and female Avatars needs more work to make them look more appealing. Regarding clothes/armor I dislike almost all of the styles/fittings in the waist-to-crotch area, it looks a bit flat and stretched without shape. It kind of seems like a flat board from the stomach down to the thighs. The buttocks can look a bit unshapely/flat as well.

Another thing I would like for our Avatars; the option of dressing left and right hands/arms/legs/shoulders individually. Yes, shoulder slots would be nice I think. The more aesthetic options we have, the better and it could help us distinguish Avatars with a feeling of individuality!

It would be great if we arrived at a point where we could recognize and tell Avatars apart by what they are wearing. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    Lord Baldrith and Miracle Dragon like this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Lord Soliwilos. Yes they do need more work. I think soon well see some more work on them. There is already a huge improvement as you can probably tell from this thread if you read it. Qball works on them and he is working on Trolls right now. Hopefully he gets some help. Very good ideas. Also one cool thing will be that our Avatars will be able to hold more things like a bouquet of flowers, perhaps a parasol, but now sure what exactly. There will be jewelry coming in per Darkstarrs interview he just did. So this is a good place to post your thoughts. I started it because I am a huge lobbier for great looking avatars. **cheers**

Lord Baldrith and Miracle Dragon like this.
  7. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I only want to say that as much as I agree with the need for more sexy females I would want the more tomboyish females still be available to create. People have different tastes. Personally I think it's awful that most MMOS have oversexualized females with tons of makeup and faces looking like supermodels. It makes every girl look exactly the same and takes away some personality IMO. So yes... Add more options, but don't make it sexy-only (especially when we only have one basic body shape with no skinny/fat/muscular sliders which already makes everyone look similar unless you zoom on their faces).

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@RedDeer. Yes I don't think we will have females wearing horribly skimpy just like other games but also we dont want nuns wear.;) If you look at my signature there are womanly women in different styles, townware and adventuringware. So if we go to events we may dress for them. We also have plays that our avatars perform in, so there will be different wearables but nothing like say Tera unless someone dresses in their underwear which has been seen for pool parties etc. Plus I don't think our female underwear show as much as Teras female armor does. I have a level 52 beserker on that game and she has very little on and I have appropriate armor on for her level with stats. I dont worry about it as much as some, but I like classy also like I think my signature shows.:)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I don't have any problems with skimpy/sexy clothes and armors beeing in game. I just don't want it to be ONLY this kind of wearables. Also, my previous post was more about female faces and body shape than about clothing :) take any leading MMO and try to make manly looking muscular warrior lady. Most of the time it's simply not possible. I'm thinking about girls like this one:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I actually consider her more sexy than all other females from Game of Thrones series (I know it's not a popular opinion :) ).

I want to see some tough, battle-hardened girls in SotA as well! This will bring more diversity into the world and it will actually make the feminine girls even more feminine and "pretty". Who wants to be a beautiful supermodel girl in a world where only such girls exist :)? In such a world even the prettiest gals will look average because no one looks vastly different in comparision.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Aldo, majoria70, Net and 5 others like this.
  10. Curt

Curt Avatar

For me its enoght if i don't need to guess if someone is a male or a female

11. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well not having watched the game of thrones I don't see her personality. I will watch it one day. Anyway well hopefully we will have a good amount of customization to have our characters look distinct from each other. Also meaning we can have them look battleworn and elderly if people prefer. Thanks for sharing.

Miracle Dragon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. Greyhaven

Greyhaven Avatar

(Excuse this lunchtime iPhone submission)

This topic from Majoria has turned out to be an epic, and quite rightly so. I see this as very much part of a wider issue with the look and presentation of the game. When considered together, Character appearance, user interface, monster design, scene design, and even concept art are all falling short. Unlike all of the effort that is going into game mechanics, my question is "Where is the beauty?".

There are big issues to deal with here, but because I like to illustrate all my points with examples, I have not been prolific enough to get everything addressed.

On the issue of female character design in particular there are two aspects:

Character model

It appears that the basic female character model is much improved, at least facially, but there needs to be a good variety of presets to provide diverse starting points for players to use. Everybody's character looks about the same because the sliders do not have suffient effect (particularly with regards to height).

The character creation process is one aspect of the the game which I don't know why Portalarium doesn't just finish it. What is holding up its completion? This forum topic stretches back to October last year!

Armour / Clothes

Is it my imagination or does the female armour look exactly the same as the male armour except smaller? And where is the shape? @unicornslady says "I'm flatter than Rabbit from the Steam Powered Giraffe" which sounds good and makes the point (although I don't know the reference).

The current system is all very good if we all want female characters that look like Brienne of Tarth (that is the Game of Thrones reference, Majoria) but not much good for anything else!

This forum topic is peppered with example images which Portalarium would take benefit in studying. I know what is missing, of course - a love of clothes design; a sense of good fashion.

Compare Shroud with Guild Wars. At Arenenet is a team who love to design clothes - an interview with lead character designer Kristen Perry at kotaku.com entitled "Guild Wars 2 Fashion is 250 Years ahead of its Time" states:

"Arenanaet picked the right person for the job. Kristen Perry is manic about fashion, and that should reflect greatly on the well-dressed characters of Guild Wars 2".

Dear Portalarium, please find somebody "manic about fashion" and get some "design" introduced into SOTA clothing.

Oh, there is a fatter forum topic due to tie together all the design aspects I mentioned above, I just need time to prepare it. There must be some way of wresting this game from its ugly mundanity and pulling it into a "better looking" realm.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

:)[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yes Greyhaven I hear you. I believe the day is coming. Perhaps we'll get a nice view into the avatar updates somewhat like we are seeing on the troll design. That has been really interesting to watch. We only have about a team of 2 that do all of creatures, avatars etc that need to be put into the game and who know what elese they also do. Regarding the Game of Throne comment not sure I quite got what you meant by it, but it is ok. I was not saying that is the look I would like, but Blaze Barkley likes it so here's hoping our customization system can achieve what we each would like or something close to it at least. I actually like the way our avatars are looking. The eyes are really glassy if you scroll into watch which I do occasionally. So I'm with you the improvements made so far have been terrific, but unlike you I can wait a bit more for team to get to it and finish it. The progress we are starting to see with the game is amazing. I eagerly await each release. Here is some new pictures I found and perhaps some not new but what I would like for the softer side of the SOTA female;) Also the last picture is our lovely lady who has a very pretty face to me so I imagine the team will do a fabulous job finishing up the avatars. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Rabbit from the awesome band, Steampowered Giraffe:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I, of course, believe we shouldn't see boobs in platemail. The purpose of platemail is to protect the torso, so it would cover that portion along with the rest. I'm all for having more 'decorative armor', but it should not do well in battle. As has always been the opinion around here. We had polls about it over a year ago when the armor was being made, and I feel they're doing a fine job so far. :)

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If female avatars start looking like some of the examples posted here, then sexual harassment emotes should be allowed. Just sayin'.

17. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Haha.. * Pictures the classic cartoon wolf eye-bulge, tongue drop, smoke out the ears as a 'Budner emote' in Sota. (only Budner starts with it, but he can teach it to anybody!) *

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Genius. But I've no idea how I got such a reputation.:rolleyes:

Suggest that the ladies and I meet soon to discuss this matter in person.

Gaelis, Katrina Bekers, Net and 3 others like this.
  19. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Aaaaand this is why I play a dude. Actually, the males have really nice rears. I prefer to look at man-butt while running around and the leather pants really emphasize those tight little Avatar buns. I know that's really the reason our cloaks are still "broken" so that they ride up into the waistline.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

As always I say ummm look at the face, but who listens;) We know SOTA so far is by no means leaning towards sexual harrassment issues. It's no way like tera. There is no comparison, but if we can't have a day gowns etc to play around with, for some the game would be lack lustre. I am not paranoid about it. I am not asking for Tera but feminine not nun like. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.