SotA inspired fan fantasy music - unofficial contest

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Darkblade, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rild

rild Avatar

really enjoyed that Holt! Really like the strings .. the deep vibrational sounds kept making me think of tesla coils - it definitely speaks of power.

and yours too Ome, that would be very enjoyable for adventuring.

Mordecai, do you perform music as well? You could give us a recording of yourself..
    I might just have to go find a piano hmm..

Miracle Dragon and Ome like this.
  2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Well yes and no. My primary instrument is drum set, and my secondary instruments are Snare, Marimba, and Vibraphone. I'm also a novice pianist and a beginner guitarist, but the problem is that Origin is for an ensemble, which would require a lot of performers to record.

3. rild

rild Avatar

New Britannian Philharmonic?

Kuno Brauer, Reigner and Mordecai like this.
  4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Eh, I wasn't quite done with mine as I was assuming there was many months left. I could probably get my main submission ready ... Soonish.. It's done but needs some more refining.

5. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Ok here is a piece I may be able to make a piano recording of. Its called Good Morning Brittany (credit and thanks go to Holt Ironfell for creating the title), and the title is referring to the location of Brittany, New Britannia, not a person. Again, this is just the sheet music.
    Good Morning Brittany
    Its written for solo harpsichord, but the instrumentation is arbitrary. I'll record it with a keyboard harpsichord effect (once I learn how to play it) but real harpsichords can't actually perform dynamics, so I'll make an official instrumentation for it eventually.

Kuno Brauer, Miracle Dragon and rild like this.
  6. rild

rild Avatar

yay for harpsichords (and for playing them in-game).. big fan of Scarlatti!

a friend and i have been talking about performing some harpsichord pieces in 8-bit

7. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Mordecai, why not use something like Sibelius in a DAW?

8. Ome

Ome Avatar

Mordecai,

I was just experimenting on my day off. I'll be working on that one weeks. It probably won't have electric bass in the final version.

Have you heard of Notion? Its a cheap yet well recieved notation program. Presonus just bought
    them out. I use Presonus studio one for my daw and love it, I think there gonna combine
    studio one with Notion.

It would be nice to start a new thread to post our works during the development of the game if this one closes. But if the closing of this
    thread means they have already decided on songs, composer and or direction with music for SOTA, then perhaps this forum isn't the place.
    Although with bard music being a part of the game It would be nice to have a thread for us to share our songs.

Its a fun thread with alot of us practicing and inspired by rpg style music. Some going back to the ad lib days.

9. Holt

Holt Avatar

I recommend getting your hands on a mac.

I started messing with GarageBand (comes free with all macs) in 2008 and I got a student copy of Logic. These are very good programs, and Garageband is very simple and teaches you the basics of Logic.

I then switched my DAW to ableton Live, because it is a standard for electronic music. It has a 'session' mode and arrangement. The session mode allows you to set up phrases and ideas without committing to an arrangement, which you can then drag and drop into place. Ableton Live is for mac and windows, and there are a lot of tutorials online for all of these DAWs.

For the simple purpose of using midi and stock samples, or recording voice or instruments live, Garageband is a cake-walk.

I use a mac for video, audio and other media.

Poets' Circle Guild will devise a method to share our songs with one another, probably through forums and blogs, as well as a dedicated soundcloud profile. I also host exceptional stuff on the website http://poetscircle.net

We'll figure something out, the music will keep coming and we'll all keep getting better. Music is something that is typically handled quite late in the game design process and it can also be switched in and out of games very easily, so expect to see new music in SotA on an on-going basis. After all, Starr Long said he's betting on User Generated Content as the future of gaming, and there will be some form of in-game music if your character gets his hands on an instrument. We'll be heavily focused around this task, as well as exploring the lore, producing story, using the promised Theatre, role playing and the arts.

Poets' Circle, after all, is something akin to the art co-ops of old, except we're a guild, in a game. But all of this goes beyond the game. It's a great vessel to explore your creativity with a receptive and positive group who can help you improve and find resources, whatever your passion.

~Holt Ironfell

rild likes this.
  10. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Keep in mind this is an unofficial contest. That's one of the reasons I decided not to rush and wanted to put more into quality.

11. mike11

mike11 Avatar

For better for worse here is my song, changed the name from old version BW to now Warrior Steppin'. This tunes been through several changes but I decided to go with mostly guitar fusion sound.

There is still a few kinks to work out but it's 99% done.

I will probably make some more revisions later and continue to make it cleaner but for consideration's sake this good enough to submit for SOTA.

https://soundcloud.com/achmeblueprints/warrior-steppin

oh, and I'm also really proud of it thus far :) thanks to those who offered to help, you make it more possible for me to continue learning. All feedback is OFC welcome.

edit: updated link with update

Kuno Brauer and rild like this.
  12. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Nice one! This is by far the best I've heard from you :)

13. galfaroth

galfaroth Avatar

I will compose something especially for Brittania theme in the next month. I need my new desk, finish current project and have a clean mind for it. When is the deadline for the contest? I really want to deliver something AAA Quality but I simply don't have time right now for that.

14. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

No deadline has been set. All we know is that they're planning on wrapping things up soon.

15. Darkblade

Darkblade Avatar

If you all need more time, we can wait.
    We can make the official deadline 01 December 2013, then the voting can begin.

Mordecai likes this.
  16. Dracowyr

Dracowyr Avatar

Very nice! The talent in this community continues to astound me.

scottlee and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I'm still gunning it with my demo beat with guitar themes and want to add some visual cues, for inspiration.
    Btw my general intention was for this to be suited for some graphic movie scene or, in general, some game footage.

Intro 0:20 - general and tension build (diminished chord).
    Verse 0:50 - town, village. Everyday life, rebuilding, building, perhaps workshop scene. Introduce heroes
    1:10 - Bards
    1:20 - fighting styles and tension.
    1:40 scene theme change to demonstrate a protagonists pov, evil afoot. Introduce villains
    2:10 , show off fighting and characters
    2:20 Bards
    2:30 Bird soaring, more fighting, sword fighting.
    3:00 heroes winning, evil being smited.
    3:20 scenery, feasting people, toasts.
    3:40 back to villager life, crafting, marketplace
    3:50 Bards

https://soundcloud.com/achmeblueprints/warrior-steppin

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

As of next weekend, Halloween season will be over (I've been working at a haunted house) and back to making music for me. :)

19. bieirisderomans

bieirisderomans Avatar

Hello! I am new to this community. My name is Vanessa Cardui, or Bieiris de Romans in the SCA. I am the current bardic champion of the Kingdom of An Tir. This is my harp composition, entitled The Swan Egg, which I imagine playing in the woods or some other natural setting.

20. bieirisderomans

bieirisderomans Avatar

Here is another offering: My piece for electric guitar and mandolin, entitled Pavane of the Cordial Dead, which I imagine being played in a swamp or other lonely place filled with shadows and secrets.

In song,

Bieiris de Romans (Vanessa Cardui)

rild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.